What are strongholds good for?

CapWinterz

Legacy storage, unlimited quick travel abilities, conquest bonus are the top three most enjoy from strongholds.

No upkeep, only "fees" are one time room unlock charges.

Pretty much this, though I have no interest in the conquest events as they are currently implemented (i.e. poorly).

To me it was a complete waste of resources to have created Strongholds to satisfy the small minority of Interior Designers that play this game. However, I have found them useful in so far that having all three storage options (guild, cargo, and legacy) along with a mailbox and a vendor to be a very quick and convenient option (that, of course, could have been completely satisfied via allowing them on the personal ships as well). Other than that, the free travel to the four planets upon which they currently reside is nice as well.

I have one room in my stronghold set up with access to everything that I may need or want. The only thing missing is a Training Dummy, which isn't available to my knowledge. It's very convenient. My toons used to reside full-time on their ship and wait for PvP Q pops. Now they just hang out in the Stronghold. Edited by DarthOvertone

Pretty much this, though I have no interest in the conquest events as they are currently implemented (i.e. poorly).

To me it was a complete waste of resources to have created Strongholds to satisfy the small minority of Interior Designers that play this game. However, I have found them useful in so far that having all three storage options (guild, cargo, and legacy) along with a mailbox and a vendor to be a very quick and convenient option (that, of course, could have been completely satisfied via allowing them on the personal ships as well). Other than that, the free travel to the four planets upon which they currently reside is nice as well.

See... I kinda did both. In the Nar Shaddaa hold, I turned that "solarium" into a black market bazaar, with both all vendor droids and jawas, the GTN, the banks, and the mailbox, along with a bunch of the glowing wall signs, a vendor stall and some market canopies, and so on.

It's no different from going to the fleet and seeing all the "atmospheric" elements... it seems that no one makes snide comments about the fact that Bioware did what they did with spacedocks when they could have fit the vendors, trainers, and quest NPCs into an area 1/4 the size, just lined up them all up in a row, maybe replaced all the people with terminals and skipped the little bits of voice acting... but if someone wants their characters to have a home base with both functionality and some atmosphere, well... that's "wasting time" and "interior decorating".

I guess we shouldn't be surprised... there are posters who like to deride anything that doesn't convey a direct game-mechanical advantage or distinction on far more basic subjects than Strongholds.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

I have one room in my stronghold set up with access to everything that I may need or want. The only thing missing is a Training Dummy, which isn't available to my knowledge.

BioWare says they are working on adding a training dummy you can place in your strongholds. Hopefully on Flagships too.

Plus there is really no need to buy the Priority Travel - Personal Starship or the cool-down reduction on Fleet Pass once you own even one Stronghold.

...as long as you're a Premium Subscriber. Preferred and Free players have those options greyed out.

Hello, i quit back before strongholds came out and recently started playing again, what exactly are strongholds for, do they give any benefits, storage, buffs etc, and what is prestige that i see when i loot decoration items? and are there upkeep fees or rent like in other games (LOTRO)

Buy your first part with cartel coins and you do not have to pay upkeep if you leave the game for some time.

The strongholds will be useful for legacy bank, GTN, bank, guildband and a bit of fun decorating things.

Do not fall into the same trap that many of us has done, to start chasing a specific decoration. It can cost you alot of cash

Edited by Icestar

No Rent at all in Swtor houses, just one time unlocks for house + rooms. But if you used credits to unlock the house supposedly if you cancelled it after you bought it you have to repay the same price to reactivate it, which I don't thing is fair tbh, cause 2.5m credits is about the same as 2.5k coins imo (Reactivating costs should be like 50k instead imo if you chose to use credits instead). Also the only way for your house to become non active is for you to do it or if you server transfer, you can take as long of a break as you want and they'll still be there.

Also strongholds are mostly purely cosmetics, a different way to play the game instead of raiding all the time while your taking a break and have nothing to do. Also used for conquest pts as well if you reach 100% with all 4 houses thats 100% extra conq pts for everything you do.

Edited by Theeko

It's no different from going to the fleet and seeing all the "atmospheric" elements... it seems that no one makes snide comments about the fact that Bioware did what they did with spacedocks when they could have fit the vendors, trainers, and quest NPCs into an area 1/4 the size, just lined up them all up in a row, maybe replaced all the people with terminals and skipped the little bits of voice acting... but if someone wants their characters to have a home base with both functionality and some atmosphere, well... that's "wasting time" and "interior decorating".

Well it pretty much is just that. They could have saved a whole bunch of time and resources had they simply added a little more functionality to the player ships to encompass the ability to add the storage and vendors. Heck, they already have some of the stuff available via Legacy unlocks, so it would have been far more simpler to add Legacy Storage and a few other things that way than waste the time making Strongholds.

That could have been time and resources devoted to making ... oh I don't know ... more PvP maps, perhaps? Or even working on making OPvP more functional. I'm not a PvPer, but I get the feeling that PvP options were a far more requested feature than Interior Designing. Heck, how much time and resources could have been plugged into making more Ops and Flashpoints, or ... I know - getting crazy here ... more class and companion stories! Crazy talk, I know, but maybe I'm just being old fashioned in that I think a game's priorities should be making content that the game is based and designed around. In SWTOR, that would be stories, Ops, Flashpoints, Space, and PvP.

Well it pretty much is just that. They could have saved a whole bunch of time and resources had they simply added a little more functionality to the player ships to encompass the ability to add the storage and vendors. Heck, they already have some of the stuff available via Legacy unlocks, so it would have been far more simpler to add Legacy Storage and a few other things that way than waste the time making Strongholds.

That could have been time and resources devoted to making ... oh I don't know ... more PvP maps, perhaps? Or even working on making OPvP more functional. I'm not a PvPer, but I get the feeling that PvP options were a far more requested feature than Interior Designing. Heck, how much time and resources could have been plugged into making more Ops and Flashpoints, or ... I know - getting crazy here ... more class and companion stories! Crazy talk, I know, but maybe I'm just being old fashioned in that I think a game's priorities should be making content that the game is based and designed around. In SWTOR, that would be stories, Ops, Flashpoints, Space, and PvP.

Don't know for the effort involved.

Regarding the UI, bugs and limitation of the system it seems to have been rushed out into production.

Then seeing how work must have been involved in putting each item into categories/sub-categories, size of hooks, adding text entries for where they come from and so on...

Dunno really, kinds of look like the effort was put in the wrong place: cataloging vs utility.

Edited by Deewe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.