Super Serious Starfighter Sunday on The Bastion, November 2nd

Drakkolich

This sort of stuff would be pretty awesome. I think there is a population of pretty serious GSFers that don't exclusively GSF, such that they would be willing to transfer characters exclusively for it, or would rather not spend their relatively limited play time away from friends just to level up hangars elsewhere. Being able to access their preferred loadouts without going through a massive grind on a new server is a pretty big deal.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of rotating servers, but I'd argue not to get too crazy. Personal preference? I'd say let's choose a west coast and an east coast server, and alternate. That should in theory mean that lag will be largely equalized where it occurs (meaning some, like me, might have to fight through a little extra when we do the West Coast, and then west coasters would have to deal with a bit of extra when they come over to the East Coast).

If I were to nominate servers, I'd probably say Bastion for West Coast, since we're all already set up over there from last night's event. For East Coast, I'd say either JC or TEH. Both I think have pretty strong communities, but I think TEH has a more vocal/social community. I would lean a little towards JC myself, but that's just because it's my native server. TEH probably has a higher saturation of really good pilots, but I'm not positive of that, especially now that several aces/vets have been making alts over on JC recently. And I've at least got Imp toons on both that could be plugged in to an event like last night's with no problem.

Anyway, I think if we do the rotating servers thing, it would make sense to keep it to 2 or 3 servers, to minimize the grind for all of us.

Just a few thoughts. Cheers!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, something I missed in my last post. I wanted to give a quick shoutout to Cosmo and Kara-thrace for being awesome subs for the team, and I also wanted to give a shoutout to Eichman, Tobiasfunke, and Choquer (Choque on my server) for coming over and rocking the stock ships for the event. You guys all did really well, even with the gimped ships, and Choquer... I actually said something about you being the silent MVP. You were amazing out there, both when I flew with and against you. Cheers men! Way to represent JC! :D

Thanks, and seconded. JC represent! Choque was excellent as usual. As I said last night, I was pretty sure it was him because of the ship and flying style (I've been on the wrong end of his blasters too many times to count), but yeah, if that was a stock ship, pretty amazing performance.

@Eich - I caught you earlier in the day as I was trying to pile up at least a little req on the GS, and was happy to see you there. Also caught you in Drako's twitch stream on the losing end of that 50-49 lost shipyards TDM; it was hard to get a sense of how you flew from Drako's perspective, but I'm sure you did fine, even stock. And wow, that was a great game.

Re: doing this on another server - I'm with nyghtrunner in his most recent post, I think it makes sense to alternate between an east coast and a west coast server. So, just two. It will increase the population of pilots able to fully contribute. If a particular "ace" doesn't have an alt on one of the two servers, and doesn't feel like rerolling, he can just wait and participate in the next event. The truly hardcore will already have alts on both servers.

I think this is a small enough community (for good or for ill) such that we can keep the location straight. I'm not too worried that anyone will accidentally wander onto the wrong server. As for the servers of choice - Bastion certainly for west coast, TEH probably makes sense for east coast (though I, too, would selfishly prefer JC, the only place I could pull out my mastered double-torp T2 GS).

Just my 2 creds.

I would lean a little towards JC myself, but that's just because it's my native server. TEH probably has a higher saturation of really good pilots, but I'm not positive of that, especially now that several aces/vets have been making alts over on JC recently. And I've at least got Imp toons on both that could be plugged in to an event like last night's with no problem.

This post is really an argument for just having one server. Players have to build up hangars on two servers to fully participate? What is gained other than convenience for the chosen East Coast server natives?

We had double voice premade versus double voice premade last night on Begeren for about two hours during this event. Perhaps that should be the next server for the event, with two full teams in the waiting? No, it really should be on one server so that outsiders can build up their characters with faith that they are not wasting time.

This post is really an argument for just having one server. Players have to build up hangars on two servers to fully participate? What is gained other than convenience for the chosen East Coast server natives?

We had double voice premade versus double voice premade last night on Begeren for about two hours during this event. Perhaps that should be the next server for the event, with two full teams in the waiting? No, it really should be on one server so that outsiders can build up their characters with faith that they are not wasting time.

I disagree - I normally play on TEH with a 35 ms latency. On Bastion, I jumped to 250. Now my teammate plays from Europe, so he always plays on a 200ish latency, but on Bastion, it's over 9000... Err, 400. Any European player will be in the same vote. Per coast would probably help them out too, in addition to increasing potential player base. I can't imagine having normal numbers while operating at a half second lag

No, it's an argument for 2 servers. One East Coast, one West Coast. That's quite explicitly stated in my post. And that a bunch of people paid money to transfer to Bastion for the event last night is the entire reason I'm saying Bastion should be the West Coast server. I know I just paid $30 to transfer and max my toon for the event over there, and the idea of turning around to do it again to go on to Bergeren (another west coast server) isn't appealing. Pay more money to go somewhere there's the same lag! WIN!!!

You pull out my mention of desiring JC as the East Coast because I'm already there as it being an argument for 1 server how exactly? Don't forget, I transferred a toon to Bastion, so why wouldn't I be perfectly happy saying "Bastion only"? Everything else in the post on the topic is saying, "One east coast, one west coast". If the community at large wanted TEH, Pot5, Jung Ma, or Shadowlands, as the East Coast, then I'd deal with it, and either make a toon, or transfer. If you're reading me saying, "1 server, 1 server only, and MINE!!!", then that's on you, because it's not what I'm saying. Cool cherry picking, though.

The entire reason for doing it is latency. I have lag on West Coast servers. I have no lag on East Coast servers. From the people I have talked to, this is not unusual. It's not a huge deal, but they notice it as well. That is my entire reasoning for making the event span 2 regional servers, as opposed to your statement about it being "convenient to server natives." You can read into it all whatever you want. But don't presume to tell me you know my argument better than I do, or that I have some hidden motive only you are discerning enough to read through the voodoo, and get at the heart of what I mean. My case for 2 servers is so that every other event, we east coasters aren't dealing with lag. The same logic goes for you West Coasters.

I mentioned JC and TEH because I know that Scrabs, Drako, Aimbot, myself, Tommmsunb, Ryuku, Tobi, and many others have alts already there, and in the case of TEH, Stasie, Verain, and a BUNCH of other people have high level alts over there. These are all people who... you know... showed up for last night's event...

We had double voice premade versus double voice premade last night on Begeren for about two hours during this event.

And we had something like 7 teams of 4 in voice for the event last night. The better part of 4 hours. What's your point? Had you guys come over, we would have had more people. But I guess it wasn't your server, so why bother, amirite?

Perhaps that should be the next server for the event, with two full teams in the waiting.

OK, and so I'm sure that the 16 people you had would be willing to offer those of us who just transferred toons to a West Coast server some kind of just compensation to up and do it again to make it easier on you? Sounds to me like you're the one who wants 1 server, and for it to be theirs...

No, it really should be on one server so that outsiders can build up their characters with faith that they are not wasting time.

Then you are making an argument for it being on Bastion, and only, ever Bastion. Fine. Then make that argument. But from the sounds of it, you weren't willing to transfer characters or make new ones over on Bastion for the event. I assume that would change if you knew it would be Bastion, and only Bastion from now until death to TOR?

The way I see it, with last night's event, we have effectively chosen Bastion as either the only ever server (in which case, I assume you and the other 15 people on Bergeren who were flying last night will all be at the next event on Bastion, because you won't have an issue with that server, right? Even though you couldn't make it for the event last night, next time, you'll all be there, right? Right?), or we have chosen it as the West Coast server.

So the debate I'm proposing doesn't involve Bergeren or Harbinger at all. It's between opening it up to an East Coast server as an alternate (probably TEH, which is NOT my native server, by the way, but I think they have a higher concentration of people who were there last night with toons who are geared and ready for an event like this), or keeping it only at Bastion.

Don't lecture me about trying to get some kind of preferential server treatment when I actually took the steps to take part in the event we did have, on a server that was not mine, where I knew almost no one. For all I knew at the time, I was pissing away the money to transfer/max the toon for a single evening.

Drak did a good thing, he created an event, he promoted the event and he got people from all servers to participate. They acted like adults, they took responsibility for themselves and transferred or rolled new toons to participate. You know what? Reghas from Pot5 joined STOCK and wrecked it. I live on the west coast and my pings to the server where horrid (four seconds). I dealt with it, I did not whine, Viisas was playing from Australia, you know DOWN FRIGGING UNDER, he did not complain.

So all you nancys whining that it's not on your server.

S T F U, F F S

Do something productive and thank Drak for his work, don't crap all over the place like an entitled douchebag.

Watch me get banned for this post speaking the friggin truth.

Edited by zaskar

Don't lecture me about trying to get some kind of preferential server treatment

I owe you an apology. This was never intended as a personal attack, though I now see how it came off as one. Your original quote demonstrated a very real desire to have it on your home server. I was impressed by your honesty. I previously admitted that I wish it had been on Harbinger or Ebon Hawk. It is a natural response.

In a discussion of possibly moving the event to increase attendance. I was merely trying to represent some of the people who did not participate. If anyone thinks I thought it should rotate through Begeren, they should read that part again. I was too aggressive with my debating and now everything has gotten ugly, sorry.

Renegade-one made a good point about fairness. My ping is 120-150 ms to Europe, 70 ms to West, and 60 ms to East, so I have never noticed a difference. Even though I still support having one server for premade nights, I would hate for an excellent point of fairness to be drowned out by what I accidentally incited.

Drak did a good thing, he created an event, he promoted the event and he got people from all servers to participate. They acted like adults, they took responsibility for themselves and transferred or rolled new toons to participate. You know what? Reghas from Pot5 joined STOCK and wrecked it. I live on the west coast and my pings to the server where horrid (four seconds). I dealt with it, I did not whine, Viisas was playing from Australia, you know DOWN FRIGGING UNDER, he did not complain.

So all you nancys whining that it's not on your server.

S T F U F F S

Do something productive and thank Drak for his work, don't crap all over the place like an entitled douchebag.

Watch me get banned for this post speaking the friggin truth.

You could have just said, "+1 for Bastion only"...

And absolutely thanks to Drak for setting up the event, and getting people to join, and for the use of his mumbles. I don't understand why it demands a "shut the fudge up for fudge's sake" response to voicing the opinion that it would be awesome to have an alternating East/West Coast server, as a suggestion for future events. I'm not talking about "let's server hop at random!".

I was not whining, "My server lag was so bad, it destroyed my experience!!! QQQQQQQQ!!!!" I had an absolute blast last night, despite the lag. Where do you get off coming at me like this?

Drak explicitly asked for suggestions if we're going to make this a recurring event. So I voiced a suggestion, and you jump all down my throat as being some kind of whiny entitled d-bag? Jeeze dude, project much? Where the heck is this anger coming from, and why is it directed at me?

And as an aside... I declare the chummy feeling from the end of last night through the next 8 hours to be officially over. We can go back to hating each others guts and arguing on the forums as normal. :D

I owe you an apology. This was never intended as a personal attack, though I now see how it came off as one. Your original quote demonstrated a very real desire to have it on your home server. I was impressed by your honesty. I previously admitted that I wish it had been on Harbinger or Ebon Hawk. It is a natural response.

In a discussion of possibly moving the event to increase attendance. I was merely trying to represent some of the people who did not participate. If anyone thinks I thought it should rotate through Begeren, they should read that part again. I was too aggressive with my debating and now everything has gotten ugly, sorry.

Renegade-one made a good point about fairness. My ping is 120-150 ms to Europe, 70 ms to West, and 60 ms to East, so I have never noticed a difference. Even though I still support having one server for premade nights, I would hate for an excellent point of fairness to be drowned out by what I accidentally incited.

Apology accepted. And sorry to you for getting snippy in response.

In full disclosure, if we did choose to go back and forth between East/West (same, set servers, just so everyone is clear. I'm not sure I was clear in either post now that I look back, but I'm definitely thinking, "we choose 1 server to be home for East, 1 server to be home for West"), I would prefer JC. It's my home server. I would lobby for it. But I truly would be happy with any of the East Coast servers.

And truthfully, I think TEH might be best for it. It's had a reputation for a long time as being a good server to fly on, with some very good pilots, and as such, I think a lot of people have already rolled alts or transferred toons over there, so the hope was it would be less work for a larger portion of fliers.

I'm all about increasing population/attendance first, so if people seem to want just 1 server, then so be it. But I do see merit to having 2 dedicated servers for events like these. Possibly even 3, to include a European server. Ideally, we could get 1 server, and never have any lag issues or anything of the sort. But in reality, that's not going to happen, so I do think there's merit in at least discussing 2 so that we can at least have recurring events to "even out" lag differences. I think it's worth discussing, at least.

So far, I'm pretty sure we at least know where Zaskar's voting. :eek:

Edited by nyghtrunner

Drak explicitly asked for suggestions if we're going to make this a recurring event. So I voiced a suggestion, and you jump all down my throat as being some kind of whiny entitled d-bag? Jeeze dude, project much? Where the heck is this anger coming from, and why is it directed at me?

I did not address my comments to anyone in particular, the bickering destroyed something beautiful, I was voicing my opinion on the state of the thread. If you want to own my scorn; more power to you, we don't need to talk about guilty conscience or anything do we?

we don't need to talk about guilty conscience or anything do we?

In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max’s toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog…When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I went nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out…But the worst thing I ever done — I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa — and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.

Alright I've listened to the arguments and I've come up with what to me sounds like a great plan for future events.

First I'm going to hold this event (The Super serious one) on The Bastion every 4 weeks. So the next one will be Saturday November 29th. I'm swaping it to Saturday upon popular request. I'm also going to bring the time down to 4 hours instead of 5 it really was too long last night in my opinion.

Second I'm going to hold what im calling GSF night. It's going to rotate servers and be every 4 weeks as well. It's going to be the opposite 4 weeks of the Super Serious night. So the first one of these is going to be Saturday November 15th on The Ebon Hawk. These will only last 3 hours and won't have any of the sign ups that the other event has.

Basically we will have an event every 2 weeks for the super hardcore GSF pilots. However the idea is to have the main event on The Bastion every 4 weeks, with a rotating server intermission GSF night in between.

The hope is this will reinforce players that only want to be on the main event to keep leveling on the one server for the main event. It also rewards anyone that server transferred and wants to in the future.

It gives choices on what events players might want to attend, as some players might only be interested in a great night of queue when "the circus comes to their town".

In the end I'm making all the Serious nights on The Bastion because we had such a great turn out I want to just keep building on that. I do however want to meet new people that maybe don't have the time or money to level or transfer a GSF character on The Bastion so with the rotating event we will gain that.

I'm also going to raffle a free server transfer to someone that wants to come to Super Serious night. (if this is possible)

Lastly I know the PTS for the expansion is going to come out shortly and I will be giving a 1 week notice when it does for a HUGE PTS GSF night. This way all the subscribers will have time to download it and character copy over and we can get some incredible games there. Edit: I have been informed there is no PTS for the expansion so we will have to do it on 3.1 patch.

I hope this pleases most people, in the end I know I can't make everyone happy but I feel this is a good setup moving forward.

Look forward to everyone's thoughts. :)

Edited by Drakkolich

I'm also going to raffle a free server transfer to someone that wants to come to Super Serious night. (if this is possible)

Please PM a mod or community guy and see if we can do this. If a raffle is a problem, we could just flat out have one of us pay the cost, as well. But because real money is involved or the equivalent, we need to be sure that we don't break some obscure rule. The real question is, can we have something like a /roll or a webcam on a die roll and actually give a prize, even a small one, based on that. We can accept conditions like, will be a cartel coin code or whatever too.

Lastly I know the PTS for the expansion is going to come out shortly and I will be giving a 1 week notice when it does for a HUGE PTS GSF night. This way all the subscribers will have time to download it and character copy over and we can get some incredible games there.

The PTS is so hard to make work, I never even bother. But we'll see: we never know when the 3.X stuff start, etc.

My problem with "pick another server" is that any ONE server you choose is guaranteed to have some folks that won't budge (can't afford, no time, just not that into it), and some folks who have a bum connection. But if you pick ALL the servers, you ramp it up from "come play and we'll all be sure to bring our A game" to "constantly roll GSF alts depending on how the dice land". In the first case, you probably have about the same number of nonparticpants no matter where you roll. In the second case, you not only have the nonparticipants from the FIRST place (aka, everyone who couldn't make Bastion this night can't make Bastion ANY night, so we don't really gain them by rotating), you have all the case two nonparticipants.

So basically, you end up with a situation where you have people giving up on it- you can't just have some nomadic setup.

Meanwhile, there is definitely interest in the more nomadic stuff for the guys who roll around everywhere. I think Drako's solution sounds pretty decent, but I definitely think that there won't be as many people willing to have serious alts everywhere.

The other thing remains that the Bastion GSF community, even the ones that aren't on the forums, are pretty reasonable and ready to play, and can be mobilized for an event. That may or may not be true of other servers, but it really doesn't need to go further than "which server can Drako organize the most people on".

Anyway, hopefully Drako's solution is the right one. I'm really sad that Bastion is 400ms for some people- that's like, something that isn't right. I don't have that to Europe even. That can't be permanent, right?

@Verain - I get that, and wasn't advocating for a true nomadic setup. Was just thinking about picking 2 servers via vote or something, one for either coast, and alternating between the 2. I definitely don't want a true nomadic setup.

@Drako - Not necessarily what I was advocating for, but I think an excellent compromise. I certainly don't think I'll make the every 2 weeks thing, since I'm not going to roll every server, but I can definitely make some of the nomadic queues, and will try to be a regular for the events on the Bastion. And again, thanks for being the point man in setting all this stuff up. It's definitely awesome to have someone so focused on getting the community involved in more events, and since we probably can't have cross-server queues anytime soon, this is probably as good a solution as any I can think of. So definitely thanks for that.

I'd like to see a pug night.

This is "Super Serious Starfighter" not some casual experience.

It's a team game. I'd rather play nothing but type 3 scout with EMP missile, as long as it was with a team.

No premades, no voice chat, just you and whatever the matchmaker keyboard cat throws at you, and your team's ability to read the battlefield.

This doesn't sound fun at all to me. I mean, I get why some people might like not fighting against teams, but that's a big part of what a serious night entails- solid team work.

My thought is that as more people gravitate toward The Bastion the less GSF there will be on other servers. Overall this might end up hurting GSF.

Not a concern. The bulk of the players will not level an alt or transfer a GSF main. Even several excellent players could or would not do this for this event (and I think this did hurt, for instance, Renegade's team). But even if we get them ALL having a character on Bastion...

The organized events Drako is setting up are MONTHLY events- hardly the sort that will disrupt normal play. Many (not all) of the participants already have multiple GSF characters on many servers as it is, so pulling them away for four hours a month isn't going to hurt GSF in general, or kill queues.

Also note Drako's other aggressive plan to solve complaints of a nomadic monthly thing for those who want to do that will also visit other servers anyway, so the small subset that want to do that will probably be rolling alts and leveling them, even if that's a much smaller subset of the Super Serious Night crew.

I just don't see this being a concern at all.

In large part I agree with Verain with regards to server population/hurting the general, daily GSF experience. For someone like me, it just really means that I'll play alts on other servers a bit more often, but in no way, shape, or form will I quit playing on my native server, nor will my mains from that server ever leave. In general, I think the super serious events are going to be spaced out enough, and the nomadic events kind of... random... enough that in general, it shouldn't really make a difference.

A segment of the veteran population will be focusing on other servers for a total of 7 hours or so/month (some months, only 4 hours, as I know I won't try to make all the nomadic events), and I know for me, it will mean picking up and doing dailies/weeklies on a few other servers with a bit more consistency than usual, but I don't see it changing the majority of my flight patterns.

In short, I really don't feel that it's a real concern. At least, not at this point.

In large part I agree with Verain with regards to server population/hurting the general, daily GSF experience. For someone like me, it just really means that I'll play alts on other servers a bit more often, but in no way, shape, or form will I quit playing on my native server, nor will my mains from that server ever leave. In general, I think the super serious events are going to be spaced out enough, and the nomadic events kind of... random... enough that in general, it shouldn't really make a difference.

A segment of the veteran population will be focusing on other servers for a total of 7 hours or so/month (some months, only 4 hours, as I know I won't try to make all the nomadic events), and I know for me, it will mean picking up and doing dailies/weeklies on a few other servers with a bit more consistency than usual, but I don't see it changing the majority of my flight patterns.

In short, I really don't feel that it's a real concern. At least, not at this point.

I guess I should have said so before hand. What was on my mind is the people transferring servers for this. And do disagree with Verain who took the absolutist stance with this. I never said it would destroy GSF I said it would hurt GSF. The hardcore people are the ones that maintain a daily GSF presence on their servers. So how logically can you say that those people paying for server transfers will not have a negative effect to that end. Pandora is now out of the box though and she can't be put back in. I do agree with Drak's sentiment though now that people have spent money for this specific event he is now honor bound to those people to maintain it on the Bastion.

I guess I should have said so before hand. What was on my mind is the people transferring servers for this. And do disagree with Verain who took the absolutist stance with this. I never said it would destroy GSF I said it would hurt GSF. The hardcore people are the ones that maintain a daily GSF presence on their servers. So how logically can you say that those people paying for server transfers will not have a negative effect to that end. Pandora is now out of the box though and she can't be put back in. I do agree with Drak's sentiment though now that people have spent money for this specific event he is now honor bound to those people to maintain it on the Bastion.

Regarding the bolded, I believe most of the hardcore players have multiple toons, and did not transfer all of them, only 1 of them.

For instance, I have 12 toons I fly with in various states of gear, and I fly with those across 3 servers. TEH effectively has 3, although the Pubbie is new, and I only really fly with 1 of the imps anymore. Bastion now has 2, one of which was a transfer from JC. JC, my native server, still has the 2 mains on either side, and another 3-5 that I run around with on occasion.

I guess, by and large, my reasoning for falling in line with Verain is that I would be unbelievably surprised if even 10% of the people transferring to Bastion took the only toon they fly with (honestly, I think that number is probably close to 0%). Speaking for myself, I transferred a toon. I didn't transfer my presence. And I am hard pressed to think that most others who transferred for the event didn't go about it in a very similar way.

The truly hardcore players I've run across all have multiple toons, most on multiple servers, and don't really mind the gear grind. Sure, they might whine here or there about missing that or the other (I'm looking at you, T4 BLC Armor Pen!), but the prospect of going out there in an undergeared ship isn't daunting. And the 100 or so games to max a ship without spending many cartel coins may take a couple of weeks, but that's not a lot of games for most of us.

GSF has now been out for about a year. I took a 3 month break over the summer where I barely flew, so something like 9 months of actively flying every day. I've got around 1700 matches under my belt. That's close to 200 matches/month when I'm flying a lot. And I believe I was on the low end of the games played spectrum when it comes to people who were transferring toons to Bastion.