The Most Lifeless Universe....

BadSwings

Oh, oh, oh, perfect example.

I'd been following iD Software's RAGE for years.

Looked amazing, next step in the evolution of first person shooters.

Got a broken, ugly, non-compliant mess that was DoA day one.

But you didn't see me skulking game forums whining about my purchase.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, oh, oh, perfect example.

I'd been following iD Software's RAGE for years.

Looked amazing, next step in the evolution of first person shooters.

Got a broken, ugly, non-compliant mess that was DoA day one.

But you didn't see me skulking game forums whining about my purchase.

That's a singleplayer game. It also got plenty of flak from pc gamers and they're sure to never make the same mistake again.

This is an MMO, there's still a chance they might improve on some of these things.

If you don't complain, nothing will ever be improved.

Funny thing is, we complainers help more than the defense force because unlike you we realize the game will be dead soon if things don't change for the better.

You're just happy with whatever they give you and think nothing of how the game will do from now on sales and sub-wise.

Edited by Skeelol

You're right, I assumed "StarWars" would be a universel mmo sadly it's not, i'll play till the 30days are up maybe come back when it goes F2P something to do till GW2.

Do you really think we care? Why even mention that you won't play anymore? You think you are Mr. Important?

I do agree with this thread, here and there.

I refused to roll on any server except one that was full. I wanted to wait in queues because I knew it would be worth it with such a large community. After trying out a light server, standard server, heavy server and a full server, the only real difference is how fast a warzone pops. Everything else looks and feels exactly the same. You see the same amount of people where ever you go and it doesn't feel more full or more populated than the last server.

I was absolutely in love with the game during early access. People were EVERYWHERE. The game felt *so* alive. People were interacting, emoting, there was real discussion in the general chat channels. I understand the it *just* launched, so the first few areas are going to be blooming. However once you leave all of that, the universe is literally a ghost town.

Now, I'm a rusher when it comes to leveling. I'm level 34 and I know not many people are 30+. I was not expecting to see anyone else where I'm leveling now, and the truth is, I never do. I figured I would go back to the Republic Fleet when I was queuing for warzones, or looking for flashpoints, but even the main capital has adapted that exact same dead feeling. I'm personally chalking it up to their business decisions regarding launch + servers.

On a quick business decision standpoint, adding more and more servers was the right decision. But as a long term business decision, it was the wrong decision. The game is lively. It's extremely lively. It's extremely immersive. But the immersion and the livelyness is in pieces. It won't be put back together until servers fill in again and they start removing shards. Or better yet, merge servers.

Real people is what creates life in these games. Not more NPCs, not day/night cycles, not footsteps from wildlife. It *helps.* But it doesn't *create* it.

Edited by EvaLee

That's a singleplayer game. It also got plenty of flak from pc gamers and they're sure to never make the same mistake again.

This is an MMO, there's still a chance they might improve on some of these things.

If you don't complain, nothing will ever be improved.

Funny thing is, we complainers help more than the defense force because unlike you we realize the game will be dead soon if things don't change for the better.

You're just happy with whatever they give you and think nothing of how the game will do from now on sales and sub-wise.

I'm not happy with many aspects of the game. I admit that. It's not a perfect 10/10.

But I try to post in constructive threads.

Don't know what a constructive thread is? Here's an example!

"Servers feel empty."

"Remove phasing."

Look at that! A problem AND a possible solution! That's an award winning combination.

Now, threads like this on the other hand.

"This game is so empty and boring! Way to go BioWare, you've failed on every fundamental aspect that makes this game even a DECENT MMORPG. You've failed to live up to my standards, and I can't wait to see this game either die or go F2P, cause I know one or the other is going to happen. And it's going to happen very, very soon. MARK MY WORDS."

Yeah, that helps nobody.

I'm not happy with many aspects of the game. I admit that. It's not a perfect 10/10.

But I try to post in constructive threads.

Don't know what a constructive thread is? Here's an example!

"Servers feel empty."

"Remove phasing."

Look at that! A problem AND a possible solution! That's an award winning combination.

Now, threads like this on the other hand.

"This game is so empty and boring! Way to go BioWare, you've failed on every fundamental aspect that makes this game even a DECENT MMORPG. You've failed to live up to my standards, and I can't wait to see this game either die or go F2P, cause I know one or the other is going to happen. And it's going to happen very, very soon. MARK MY WORDS."

Yeah, that helps nobody.

I made a constructive post on page 14th. Go and read it again if you haven't.

I'm not gonna repaste it every time i decide to write something.

I made a constructive post on page 14th. Go and read it again if you haven't.

I'm not gonna repaste it every time i decide to write something.

Lol, one post out of how many pages?? Lol, lol, lol.. :rolleyes:

Come one, it should be constructive all the time if you really care about things changing....

Actually not at all. But he has been here whining for days. If you hate the game, leave! It is pretty simple. The game has issues, I don't think anybody has said it is perfect but come on, some of this complaining is just ridiculous....

I don't hate the game, but I have a few points I like to critisize and / or exchange opinions with other gamers. You know the reason that these forums were created in the first place?

But as soon as you're saying something negative you get shouted down by fanboys and get told that you're just a stupid WoW kiddie thats basically just wasting earths oxygen. (Well maybe not that harshly but you get the point ;) )

I like the game. (Lv 28 currently) I think the questing is awesome and miles ahead on every other MMO. Still it's missing a lot of the "quality of life" things WoW offers. (and by that I surely do NOT mean the blasted teleportation that supplemented the actual world <_< )

I'll keep playing it for a while, so don't worry, you'll see me here more often. :p

Edited by Granyala

I refused to roll on any server except one that was full. I wanted to wait in queues because I knew it would be worth it with such a large community. After trying out a light server, standard server, heavy server and a full server, the only real difference is how fast a warzone pops. Everything else looks and feels exactly the same. You see the same amount of people where ever you go and it doesn't feel more full or more populated than the last server.

I was absolutely in love with the game during early access. People were EVERYWHERE. The game felt *so* alive. People were interacting, emoting, there was real discussion in the general chat channels. I understand the it *just* launched, so the first few areas are going to be blooming. However once you leave all of that, the universe is literally a ghost town.

Now, I'm a rusher when it comes to leveling. I'm level 34 and I know not many people are 30+. I was not expecting to see anyone else where I'm leveling now, and the truth is, I never do. I figured I would go back to the Republic Fleet when I was queuing for warzones, or looking for flashpoints, but even the main capital has adapted that exact same dead feeling. I'm personally chalking it up to their business decisions regarding launch + servers.

On a quick business decision standpoint, adding more and more servers was the right decision. But as a long term business decision, it was the wrong decision. The game is lively. It's extremely lively. It's extremely immersive. But the immersion and the livelyness is in pieces. It won't be put back together until servers fill in again and they start removing shards. Or better yet, merge servers.

Real people is what creates life in these games. Not more NPCs, not day/night cycles, not footsteps from wildlife. It *helps.* But it doesn't *create* it.

Wow, a constructive post!

Can I save this as an example? Because some people really don't know how to write one of these.

Anyways, in regards to server sharding, BioWare has stated in the past that phasing / sharding would be temporary. It'll really help when they remove it.

Source:

http://torwars.com/2011/09/09/zoeller-on-launch-day-world-instancing-dealing-with-gankers/

Wow, a constructive post!

Can I save this as an example? Because some people really don't know how to write one of these.

Anyways, in regards to server sharding, BioWare has stated in the past that phasing / sharding would be temporary. It'll really help when they remove it.

Source:

http://torwars.com/2011/09/09/zoeller-on-launch-day-world-instancing-dealing-with-gankers/

Thank you for quoting my post. I was afraid I just spent time pondering + writing it out that it would be lost in the bickering about people trying to *find* a post like that (really?).

I'm glad to hear about the temporary sharding! Thank you for digging that up. :-) I can't wait until that's taken care of. It will at least get rid of 10+ new threads a day. :p

I don't hate the game, but I have a few pints I like to critisize and / or exchange opinions with other gamers. You know the reason that these forums were created in the first place?

But as soon as you're saying something negative you get shouted down by fanboys and get told that you're just a stupid WoW kiddie thats basically just wasting earths oxygen. (Well maybe not that harshly but you get the point ;) )

I like the game. (Lv 28 currently) I think the questing is awesome and miles ahead on every other MMO. Still it's missing a lot of the "quality of life" things WoW offers. (and by that I surely do NOT mean the blasted teleportation that supplemented the actual world <_< )

I'll keep playing it for a while, so don't worry, you'll see me here more often. :p

I don't really see that too often. When people have something constructive to say, they're usually treated like a... person.

But when it's more flak from people who are just adamant about disliking this game, then you start to get flamed.

QFT. Exactly how I feel. And despite what all you fanboys say, this is a problem. And I want it to be fixed so I can love the game once again.

I don't hate the game, but I have a few pints I like to critisize and / or exchange opinions with other gamers. You know the reason that these forums were created in the first place?

And again, game is not perfect. I guess I am willing to sit down, be patient and let Bioware keep building their game. They have a great core and it seems that it will get better. I just wish that some people would stop jumping on the forums to just post negative stuff. There is a way to be constructive and then there is just being dramatic and full of hyperbole.

So yeah, things are not perfect yet but I feel like if WoW had 7 years to get where it is at, for better or for worse, then shouldn't TOR be allowed some time to grow?

Thank you for quoting my post. I was afraid I just spent time pondering + writing it out that it would be lost in the bickering about people trying to *find* a post like that (really?).

I'm glad to hear about the temporary sharding! Thank you for digging that up. :-) I can't wait until that's taken care of. It will at least get rid of 10+ new threads a day. :p

You're welcome :D

I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Facts rarely ever keep people from whining if they're committed enough to it already :C

And again, game is not perfect. I guess I am willing to sit down, be patient and let Bioware keep building their game. They have a great core and it seems that it will get better. I just wish that some people would stop jumping on the forums to just post negative stuff. There is a way to be constructive and then there is just being dramatic and full of hyperbole.

So yeah, things are not perfect yet but I feel like if WoW had 7 years to get where it is at, for better or for worse, then shouldn't TOR be allowed some time to grow?

The reason WoW got so much leeway was because the Warcraft franchise already had a MASSIVE following since Tides of Darkness. I'm writing an essay about it, because people don't seem to understand that WoW had almost perfect timing and circumstances with it's release.

It was a seamless world that people already knew, Warcraft III was being played by hundreds of thousands of people world wide every day (still is), and there wasn't much competition at the time except for another Star Wars MMO that almost was as popular as WoW.

Or could of been if SoE didn't make it into a WoW clone with the NGE.

Also, source on server sharding in case anyone missed it:

This thread is dumb, Universes by their very nature are largely devoid of life.

I think you're forgetting about the whole "Star Wars" aspect of this game.

You know, the science-fantasy series? The one where the entire galaxy is populated and barely follows any real-life... anything?

The reason WoW got so much leeway was because the Warcraft franchise already had a MASSIVE following since Tides of Darkness. I'm writing an essay about it, because people don't seem to understand that WoW had almost perfect timing and circumstances with it's release.

It was a seamless world that people already knew, Warcraft III was being played by hundreds of thousands of people world wide every day (still is), and there wasn't much competition at the time except for another Star Wars MMO that almost was as popular as WoW.

Or could of been if SoE didn't make it into a WoW clone with the NGE.

Also, source on server sharding in case anyone missed it:

I fondly remember being mad because they were not making a Warcraft four but that crappy World of Warcraft thing. :)

I think you're forgetting about the whole "Star Wars" aspect of this game.

You know, the science-fantasy series? The one where the entire galaxy is populated and barely follows any real-life... anything?

Wow, dude, sarcasm maybe? :eek:

I fondly remember being mad because they were not making a Warcraft four but that crappy World of Warcraft thing. :)

Where have I heard something like that before?

Edited by princey

All MMO's need time to grow. I don't dispute that. I'm also not starting threads to QQ I just participate in existing ones.

It'll be interesting to observe what BW will do in the next couple of months.

But when it's more flak from people who are just adamant about disliking this game, then you start to get flamed.

Understandable, no one likes mindless QQ from trolls. But you also have to see that not everyone wants to type a wall-O-text just to get their point across. ;)

ok ive not had much sleep, so pls excuse any errors in spelling etc.

I havent Played EVE, but I have played WoW again for the last 3 months, and I can tell you one thing. (Based on moonglade server)

Thunderbluff = EMPTY

Undercity = EMPTY

Silvermoon = EMPTY

Ironforge = EMPTY

Darnasas = EMPTY

The Exodar = EMPTY

Shattrath = EMPTY

Dalaran = EMPTY

Orgrimmar = under 100 people most the time.

Stormwind = Cant really say, but probably the same.

SWTOR cities / planets are too linear. Once you have got your datacrons bonus series done, there is nothing left except maybe to drag a friend though or the sometimes repeatable daily quests. But who would do those once your higher level than the rewards you could buy there?

In all of those WoW cities you have daily and or Reputation quests you can complete. Achievements that can unlock more content. And of course the opportunity for open PvP, and in most cases encouraged by quests to kill the opposing factions leaders. So the lack of players on your server is debatable. But it's not due to the lack of things a player could choose to do.

In SWTOR we are limited by what we can do. You can't one day just decide to attack Coruscant or whatever. (would be fun if you could). You can't even make real choices in the story line. If you decide to play a character that isnt all good or all bad, your penalized.

Now I'm not saying that these things can't be fixed. I really hope they are. But from my perspective at the moment, SWTOR is no better than Diablo online. It's a single player game with the opportunity to interact with other players.

I'm no fan boy of Blizzard. I don't like the direction they have taken their company, or the gaming industry. I really do like SWTOR, but I'm afraid that enjoyment will run out as soon as I don't have anymore NPC's telling me to fetch their seeds from the tractor. I just don't see enough player generated entertainment possibilities in the current game design.

Why don't you just let it go? He has a different opinion than yours. Live with it. Don't you see what you two guys are doing? You are not doing anything constructive at all but bashing at eachother. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Eh, you make a good point. I guess I shall do what I meant to do.

Merry Christmas.

Frustrated? You know nothing about me. Why would i be frustrated when you'll be sitting on this sinking ship while i'll be enjoying some other game?

Ofcourse my opinion isn't the only one, but the amount of "this doesn't feel like an MMO" threads popping up lately along with "the servers feel dead even though there's queue" tell me i'm not imagining things.

Add more smilies and lols to your comments too man, i hear they get your point across better and also show a more mature way of thinking.

Here's some from me too.

:rolleyes:

Go enjoy that game then. See you later. You should have been gone anyway. Oh well, you are gone from my forum views. Ignore activated.

Later man, let other people listen to you whine and cry. You have been entertaining, lol....

The worlds are claustrophobic... I went to Tat and saw the open desert in front of me and decided to cruise off into the desert.....then I was told to turn back..I was exhausted ...LOL...LAME.

The world is tiny, reminds me of DDO when it first launched, a city and some dungeons and that is it....LAME

BW 's idea of "exploring" is wall walking, pipe jumping ala Mario Brothers trying to find datacrons (ala Tabula Rasa)...LAME

Tatooine/Alderaan is where the game really begins to open up and you get the feeling of a normal MMO rather than a linear KoTOR rehash. But still, I agree that more life needs to be given to these zones - especially when you consider the fact the sharding system removes any chance of player activity alone fuelling a more dynamic and believable environment.

Everything does seem static and that's hugely disappointing: I want to see people going about their lives (albeit on set routes) outside of cutscenes without them necessarily being quest-givers; I want to see a greater attention to detail and a willingness to present environments like the Coruscant cityscape that aren't going to be used for combat and I'd love to see some of the change that these quests clearly say I've made.