Can somebody recommend me a shadow build please.

Superstaroo

I have read numerous post and sticky about this, However I still cant decide how to train my jedi shadow.

Always played a tank like character which is why I chose counsellor, and for this all Kinetic is best? However what useful skills will i be missing. Can anyone highly recommend a hybrid build (more towards tank). Which holds its own in PVP. As well as Solo PVE

any help would be greatly appreciated !

The build you choose ultimately depends on what role you decide to fill, which depends - first and foremost - on what you enjoy or what you're going for: pve vs pvp, tank vs dps, etc. That being said, I'm having lots of fun and success with this one: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601Mc0MZhGMRkhMrtzZc.1 The goal was a damage route that works for pve but is also super for pvp, and this build has seemed to work out great. Only thing I question is swapping the 2 points in Security Breech for Celerity, but yeah... Edited by Gethyn

I'm playing as pure balance right now (level 33) and I am loving every minute of it. it a) has absolutely ZERO backstabbing in it and b) absolutely ZERO proc watching. It's procs are complete, i.e. 100% chances, so you don't have to stare at little squares you can't differentiate from each other. Instead, you can use that time to 100% melt face.

...b) absolutely ZERO proc watching. It's procs are complete, i.e. 100% chances, so you don't have to stare at little squares...

Did you skip getting Force Strike?

Other than that i totally agree with you, balance is great for ease of leveling. I went with mostly balance with 12 in kinetic for particle acceleration and kinetic ward, or close to it. i plan on using it till 50 when ill either go for a full tank, or full dps, not sure which yet

Did you skip getting Force Strike?

Other than that i totally agree with you, balance is great for ease of leveling. I went with mostly balance with 12 in kinetic for particle acceleration and kinetic ward, or close to it. i plan on using it till 50 when ill either go for a full tank, or full dps, not sure which yet

No I will have it in my build (i'm one level shy of having it right now, lol), but it isn't a proc you need to watch, for a few reasons:

1) It us consumed on your next Mind Crush. The proc itself doesn't have a timer on it, it just sits there waiting to be used (or at least, that's the way the skill reads. Then again, Find Weakness doesn't have a timer on it in the tool tip, but in my brief foray into backstabbing, the proc certainly did have one. BW is absolutely FAIL when it comes to wording on tool tips).

2) Even if it does have a timer on it, you still don't want to use it immediately when it procs. Now this is, obviously, an assumption due to our inability to parse combat logs, but clipping DoTs (in PvE) is the gravest sin for any DoT-user. It's just bad play and a loss of DPS. So I'll only be mind crushing (at max level) once every 18 seconds, regardless of the proc.

3) 18 seconds is a long time to go without getting a melee crit. The proc should almost always be ready when you need it, so you don't need to watch it.

Healer companion? When do you get this? and where? can I get it at 20?

My issue with most of these posts are that they are great when you are talking endgame, but on the way up, which is the best course of action?

Up to this point, I've been putting points primarily into Kinetic and haven't run into any real issues, but I haven't been off Coruscant yet.

Should I be looking for the healer now? or just keep plowing away with the tank?

Upon completion of the Nar Shadaa class quest. You could get it as early as, maybe 17? But it would be pretty difficult to complete at that level.

As far as issues where you NEED the healer... you probabl won't until Tatooine and Alderaan (which follow Nar Shadaa and Taris).

Edited by BillEverson

I'm playing as pure balance right now (level 33) and I am loving every minute of it. it a) has absolutely ZERO backstabbing in it and b) absolutely ZERO proc watching. It's procs are complete, i.e. 100% chances, so you don't have to stare at little squares you can't differentiate from each other. Instead, you can use that time to 100% melt face.

Would you mind sharing a link to your spec, Bill? Im Lv32 running Inf right now and would like to try this out.

Thanks for the build. As a starting Balance Shadow, what order do you recommend taking the skills? Should I take the Kinetic and Infiltration skills first or go up the Balance skills and add the others at the end?

Thanks

Very nice builds posted, and the guide is great.

However I can't find any info on what to take first? I'm lvl 20 atm.

If I want to tank, should I go up kinetic tree first, or equal between balanced or kinetic? Any box I should rush?

If you like to go 31/0/10 I would take the two points from Jedi Resistance and go all the way up in kinetic.

I personal choose the way of 25/0/16 because until level 30 you have no mass spot. Therefore I found Force in Balance very nice. So I tried to get it first but I put some points into Double-Bladed Saber Defense and Technique Mastery.

No I will have it in my build (i'm one level shy of having it right now, lol), but it isn't a proc you need to watch, for a few reasons:

1) It us consumed on your next Mind Crush. The proc itself doesn't have a timer on it, it just sits there waiting to be used (or at least, that's the way the skill reads. Then again, Find Weakness doesn't have a timer on it in the tool tip, but in my brief foray into backstabbing, the proc certainly did have one. BW is absolutely FAIL when it comes to wording on tool tips).

2) Even if it does have a timer on it, you still don't want to use it immediately when it procs. Now this is, obviously, an assumption due to our inability to parse combat logs, but clipping DoTs (in PvE) is the gravest sin for any DoT-user. It's just bad play and a loss of DPS. So I'll only be mind crushing (at max level) once every 18 seconds, regardless of the proc.

3) 18 seconds is a long time to go without getting a melee crit. The proc should almost always be ready when you need it, so you don't need to watch it.

Fair point, Its the only proc based skill i have at this point, so i got into the habit of watching it. Not sure how long they give you to use the skill, seems like 5-6 seconds, which works out nicely for mind crush. Being that the DoT portion of Mind Crush only lasts for 6 seconds, rather than 18. I think you may have been thinking of Force Breach? Either way, it just makes it easy to avoid clipping the dot.