The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Soon™: Not funny BioWare

Kurin

It seems that many of the people that replied to my thread didn't bother to read what I wrote...you just flamed away, because that's what you know how to do.

I'll attempt to clarify, I think it's perfectly acceptable for BW to announce a delay. I think it's perfectly acceptable for BW to use Soon™ when they are actively trying to keep the players buzzing about things, that they are not ready to announce. And like a few hundred other people, I watched the live stream with Tait and Musco yesterday (still think Tait should go to the LV cantina event), so I am surprised that 4 business hours after the live stream, this about face gets dropped.

Anyway, I'm simply pointing out that for this particular announcement BW should not have used the Soon™ joke, because at this point, it failed to be funny. Stand up and take your lumps, BW for the gaffe. When you do that, you don't joke about it, you just own it.

The follow-up by Musco was better, though it's sad that he had to come in and "fix" the mistake made by a Producer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is no guarantee that the expansion will be released on time, regardless of what the devs have said. I would say there is plenty of evidence now that demonstrates that one can not rely on dev statements when it comes to release dates. It is best, IMO, to look at dev release statements more like target dates.

You're confused.

This is cool. This is a crappy reskin.

Imagine which one subs received.

Also, they said they're committed to releasing the expansion this year still.

You must learn to read the fine-print, padawan.

Exactly.. CRAPPY reskin in the future of SUBS I suspect. (Would love to be wrong, but past history has shown the idea of "LOVE IT" and "COOL" from BW angle never matches with reality).

Meanwhile... delay is great, but if they don't have a clue what is the final product how are the testing it? I see DATE SLIP again on the calendar and that doesn't put me in a good mood. If they TODAY can't release info that is not a good sign... We basically have 3 months in the year left and at least 1 of those will be waiting on announcement and further testing. So much for Oct 2014 release. Just tired of BW slipping dates - its become a poor business practice.

I suspect the OUTCOME will be 3.0 EARLY access will happen in 2014 and that's our big "Surprise" which is a bag of steamy poo on fire, but meh... Still need BW to get the lead out and not sit in LIVE STREAM one day and not even one business day later do a 180 on information.

Edited by dscount

This time, in my opinion, the use of "Soon™" was horribad. Seriously BW, you can't miss a date, and then try to make a joke about it. At that point, it's not funny. It's a serious business failure and by using "Soon™" you are making a joke about your own failure.

Not laughing,

Guess you didn't laugh about the Duke Nukem Forever "When it's done" too? I liked it all those 10 years :D

You're confused.

This is cool. This is a crappy reskin.

Imagine which one subs received.

that "crappy reskin" though was a freebie to subs given away for st.patrick's day. we need to step back further and look at BW's "early bonuses" for expansions.

First of all Makeb. Makeb was a bit differnt as they where using an old system of the paid expansion (something all evidance suggests BW has abandoned) the early access and goodies pre-orders got will be given to subscribers first instead.

So.. Makeb gave us: a new title, (two really as we also got the risen later on once Makeb went "free to subs") a pet, and a hutt holo statue trainer (which is pretty useful all said and done)

GSF gave us: 2 new outfitss, legacy ones at that, a title or two, and we got a gunship for free, which was actually a pretty nice advantage.

Strongholds gave us a unique stronghold title (ok such a minor differance it's barely noticeable) new titles, and a free Nar Shadda house.

As such I think for 3.0 what subs can reasonably expect is a new title, a new "cosmetic" and something that'll give a mild mechanical advantage early on but won't have a long term advantage.

that "crappy reskin" though was a freebie to subs given away for st.patrick's day. we need to step back further and look at BW's "early bonuses" for expansions.

Last I checked, subscribers are paying customers. Your definition of freebie is kinda flawed I think.

First of all Makeb. Makeb was a bit differnt as they where using an old system of the paid expansion (something all evidance suggests BW has abandoned) the early access and goodies pre-orders got will be given to subscribers first instead.

No one knows if the expansion will be paid for or not. Don't pretend you do.

So.. Makeb gave us: a new title, (two really as we also got the risen later on once Makeb went "free to subs") a pet, and a hutt holo statue trainer (which is pretty useful all said and done)

GSF gave us: 2 new outfitss, legacy ones at that, a title or two, and we got a gunship for free, which was actually a pretty nice advantage.

Strongholds gave us a unique stronghold title (ok such a minor differance it's barely noticeable) new titles, and a free Nar Shadda house.

As such I think for 3.0 what subs can reasonably expect is a new title, a new "cosmetic" and something that'll give a mild mechanical advantage early on but won't have a long term advantage.

Guess you really don't have a point here. You forgot to comment on this:

Then again, it's likely you chose to ignore it, perhaps because it inconvenient.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I realize that the use of Soon™ is a clever tongue in cheek answer that the PR folks at BioWare like to use when players keep asking "When will XYZ happen?". I understand the point of "Soon™". You get XYZ question 85 Million times and you aren't ready to answer it yet, so you answer with "Soon™". Although I'm not a fan of this response, particularly when you obviously know far more that could be shared, but whatever...if your PR department has data that tells you it's a useful approach, I know I simply need to accept it, since it's clearly not going to change.

Yes, they got it completely wrong. It should've been Real Soon Now to show proper respect for the history of announcing deadlines and delays.

Look, this is delay of info. Might suggest there will be delay of actual release though we don't know that yet. It's not "hey we've had a data breach and all your passwords, all your security code info, and all your credit cards have been grabbed by hackers" announcement, it's not "oops, we've had a minor hard drive problem at the server farm that also affected the backups so about 20% of all characters are lost and there's no way we can recover them" announcement, it's not even "we're going to have two days of downtime" announcement. A little attempt at lightness probably wouldn't have been appropriate for the prior three, but this? Lightness is fine. Both to ease the touch on us, and probably a way to relieve a little of the pounding stress they're under.

In fact, lightness is very appropriate. So let's all just lighten up.

CMON MAN!!! He came out and said that we subscribers are getting something cool and also the "expansion" WILL BE RELEASED as scheduled. it is not bad, just relax and don't forget to keep your subscription active!!!

If they got the "info will be released by the last week of sept" wrong, why do you believe them when they tell you the release is still on schedule? The seem to have scheduling problems, why will that no effect the product release? no doom, no gloom, just looking at a track record.

Edited by ivanhedgehog

Last I checked, subscribers are paying customers. Your definition of freebie is kinda flawed I think.

No one knows if the expansion will be paid for or not. Don't pretend you do.

Guess you really don't have a point here. You forgot to comment on this:

Then again, it's likely you chose to ignore it, perhaps because it inconvenient.

we are subscribing to play the game not to get a speeder we didn't even know we would get ahead of time so yes it was a freebie thrown in with our usual perks that we expected.

No no no no no

They said we could expect something this week... this friggin week, so thats a promise they must keep.

Repeat what you just said:

"They said we could expect something this week"

Look:

"could expect"

That is not a promise. That is a statement of expectation. You weren't promised anything. You're not owed anything. You're not entitled to anything.

At the moment, you are acting exactly like the immature, uninformed gamers that make sure that the rest of us reasonable people don't get preliminary information.

I realize that the use of Soon™ is a clever tongue in cheek answer that the PR folks at BioWare like to use when players keep asking "When will XYZ happen?". I understand the point of "Soon™". You get XYZ question 85 Million times and you aren't ready to answer it yet, so you answer with "Soon™". Although I'm not a fan of this response, particularly when you obviously know far more that could be shared, but whatever...if your PR department has data that tells you it's a useful approach, I know I simply need to accept it, since it's clearly not going to change.

However, today, BW chose to use "Soon™", when they needed to miss a previously (numerous times) committed date for the 3.0 announcement.

This time, in my opinion, the use of "Soon™" was horribad. Seriously BW, you can't miss a date, and then try to make a joke about it. At that point, it's not funny. It's a serious business failure and by using "Soon™" you are making a joke about your own failure.

Not laughing,

Klonopin. Take one and be patient. Seriously, who cares if the info arrives tomorrow or in 3 weeks? As long as they are on schedule, who cares if they announce the expansion the day before it releases?

However, today, BW chose to use "Soon™", when they needed to miss a previously (numerous times) committed date for the 3.0 announcement.

Not laughing,

It's a game, dude, get over it. Information will come when it comes. The sun will still rise tomorrow, regardless. People ... I mean Gamers really need to get over themselves. This kind of attitude got old 5 years ago.

i myself do find "Soon™" to be quite funny as the fanbase are the ones that put the ™ in there in the first place, all because they get their knickers in a knot over such little things as an update notice or whatever... honestly, i don't know what all the fuss is about, it makes no difference to me, i'll see what they put into the game when they put it in because, i have the patience to wait and don't consume the game content like a fat girl at McDonalds consumes burgers and shakes...

considering in this case no promises were made from Bioware regarding showing of information on the next update, a lot of people appear to be getting into a tizzy over nothing, from my point of view... i really don't expect much from a video game company except for a quality product, anything else like patchnotes, update notes, etc. are completely meaningless and are actually pointless and a waste of time, from my point of view...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

This time, in my opinion, the use of "Soon™" was horribad. Seriously BW, you can't miss a date, and then try to make a joke about it.

Sure they can. They just did. What are you gonna do about it?

At that point, it's not funny. It's a serious business failure and by using "Soon™" you are making a joke about your own failure.

Oh, well.

I found it hilarious.

Me too.

And let's be honest...we players have been using it for years towards game companies so everybody knows what they mean.

I always said that I want communication on a regular basis and when things get delayed as they can, I simply want honesty. So I found this humorous but am also glad they just told us straight out. I do appreciate that.

I