The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy datacrons

Daemonxel

Just like every other Legacy Datacron discussion the 'pro' side always degenerates into petty name-calling and hostility at which point it's better to just get out and back to playing and discussing actual SWTOR topics.

I can't wait to see in five years from now if this gets implemented and then see all the 'pro' people go crazy with the I-told-you-sos cuz it finally happened after seven years. A totally worthy crusade and well-worth the time and effort. Totally.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So? Legacy gear already DOES THAT.You can transfer all earned commendations from one main character to many others. One or not, my point still remains - stat boosting for credits. Dude seriously... you would put as much effort in earning credits to buy legacy perks as in buying mods on GTN. I didn't say how much would it cost though so arguing about this trivial issue is pointless since you haven't proved me wrong at all. Legacy gear allows you to transfer as many mods as you like to as many characters as you like. End of.

You can at least TRY to be honest.

You cannot transfer commendations between characters. You can purchase items with commendations and possibly transfer those items between characters, but you CANNOT transfer commendations. even if you transfer an item between characters, there is only ONE item to transfer. You do not get an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, item for each and every character you have, present and future.

Legacy datacrons would create potentially INFINITE sets of datacron stat bonuses, one for each and every character you have, present and future, not just one set of bonuses that you could transfer between characters.

Again, I point you to this link:

http://torwars.com/swtor-community-cantina-san-francisco-food-drinks-and-a-lot-of-laughter/

Which includes the following:

-I asked if datacrons/codex etc. will be added to legacy in future. Datacrons no, achievements yes.

I also believe that Eric Musco has made a statement that legacy datacrons are highly unlikely as they would likely require the a compete redesign of the datacron system.

If you wish to ignore what those in charge have said on this subject, I cannot stop you. Feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and go "NAH NAH NAH NAH, I can't hear you" all you want, but the truth remains.

You can at least TRY to be honest.

You cannot transfer commendations between characters. You can purchase items with commendations and possibly transfer those items between characters, but you CANNOT transfer commendations. even if you transfer an item between characters, there is only ONE item to transfer. You do not get an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, item for each and every character you have, present and future.

Legacy datacrons would create potentially INFINITE sets of datacron stat bonuses, one for each and every character you have, present and future, not just one set of bonuses that you could transfer between characters.

Again, I point you to this link:

http://torwars.com/swtor-community-cantina-san-francisco-food-drinks-and-a-lot-of-laughter/

Which includes the following:

-I asked if datacrons/codex etc. will be added to legacy in future. Datacrons no, achievements yes.

I also believe that Eric Musco has made a statement that legacy datacrons are highly unlikely as they would likely require the a compete redesign of the datacron system.

If you wish to ignore what those in charge have said on this subject, I cannot stop you. Feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and go "NAH NAH NAH NAH, I can't hear you" all you want, but the truth remains.

Sorry but I don't trust stranger's links.

In any case, I get the feeling like you do not read my posts at all. Or you don't want to. Seems to me like I'm talking to wall...So let me put this clear so perhaps you understand this time: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CAN TRANSFER ONE OR MILLION ITEMS - AND YES, YOU CAN GET CLASS EQUIVALENT MOD OR NOT. IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO BUY FOR YOUR OWN COMMENDATION. POINT STILL STANDS - YOU CAN BOOST STATS OF ALL YOUR ALT CHARACTERS BY THE EFFORT OF JUST ONE. I can tell ya even more - one high end mod gives you more stats than datacrons altogether.

If somehow you still don't get it I may try to use bigger font and add some shiny colours.

And yet again to clarify:

You do not get an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, item for each and every character you have.

I don't get this reasoning AT ALL. So what? Please tell me. ENLIGHTEN ME. What is that supposed to mean? YOU CAN GET IDENTICAL EQUIVALENT MOD OR NOT. IT'S YOUR PICK WHETER YOU EXCHANGE EARNED COMMS FOR THE SAME MOD FOR A MIRROR CLASS ON THE OTHER FRACTION OR DIFFERENT ONE. What's your deal/issue here?

Edited by Satelle

In any case, I get the feeling like you do not read my posts at all. Or you don't want to. Seems to me like I'm talking to wall...So let me put this clear so perhaps you understand this time: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CAN TRANSFER ONE OR MILLION ITEMS - AND YES, YOU CAN GET CLASS EQUIVALENT MOD OR NOT. IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO BUY FOR YOUR OWN COMMENDATION. POINT STILL STANDS - YOU CAN BOOST STATS OF ALL YOUR ALT CHARACTERS BY THE EFFORT OF JUST ONE. I can tell ya even more - one high end mod gives you more stats than datacrons altogether.

If somehow you still don't get it I may try to use bigger font and add some shiny colours.

I don't get this reasoning AT ALL. So what? Please tell me. ENLIGHTEN ME. What is that supposed to mean? YOU CAN GET IDENTICAL EQUIVALENT MOD OR NOT. IT'S YOUR PICK WHETER YOU EXCHANGE EARNED COMMS FOR THE SAME MOD FOR A MIRROR CLASS ON THE OTHER FRACTION OR DIFFERENT ONE. What's your deal/issue here?

We all know that you can purchase multiple mods with commendations.

Hypothetically, let's say a high end mod costs 6 commendations.

When you spend 6 commendations, how many mods do you get? Do you get ONE mod or do you get an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, mod for each and every character you have, present and future?

Sure, you can earn 6000 commendations with that character and buy 1000 mods, but for every 6 commendations you earn with that character, you only get ONE mod. In order to purchase multiple mods, you must put forth the effort to earn 6 commendations multiple times.

Legacy datacrons would create potentially infinite sets of stat bonuses for effort put forth ONCE. If you could transfer a single set of stat bonuses, or if you could find the datacrons multiple times with that character and then transfer the stats, you might have a reasonable analogy, but the datacron stat bonuses cannot be transferred.

The devs have never posted on these forums that they will not be implementing "legacy dailies" so that each and every character a player has, present and future, will get the rewards for doing a daily with a single character. By your logic, since they have never said anything indicating that they won't be implementing that, that we can expect that they at least have not ruled it out, and maybe even be planning to implement it.

Sure the devs can change their minds at any point, but I do not expect to see them change their minds on this issue, which basically bopils down to "GIMME! GIMME! GIMME! I'm too averse to the modicum of effort (lazy) to earn those bonuses on every character, so just give them to me" .

Edited by Ratajack

We all know that you can purchase multiple mods with commendations.

Hypothetically, let's say a high end mod costs 6 commendations.

When you spend 6 commendations, how many mods do you get? Do you get ONE mod or do you get an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, mod for each and every character you have, present and future?

Sure, you can earn 6000 commendations with that character and buy 1000 mods, but for every 6 commendations you earn with that character, you only get ONE mod. In order to purchase multiple mods, you must put forth the effort to earn 6 commendations multiple times.

Legacy datacrons would create potentially infinite sets of stat bonuses for effort put forth ONCE. If you could transfer a single set of stat bonuses, or if you could find the datacrons multiple times with that character and then transfer the stats, you might have a reasonable analogy, but the datacron stat bonuses cannot be transferred.

The devs have never posted on these forums that they will not be implementing "legacy dailies" so that each and every character a player has, present and future, will get the rewards for doing a daily with a single character. By your logic, since they have never said anything indicating that they won't be implementing that, that we can expect that they at least have not ruled it out, and maybe even be planning to implement it.

Sure the devs can change their minds at any point, but I do not expect to see them change their minds on this issue, which basically bopils down to "GIMME! GIMME! GIMME! I'm too averse to the modicum of effort (lazy) to earn those bonuses on every character, so just give them to me" .

First of, it's boni, not bonuses. Stop sounding like an idiot.

And then yes, there ARE legacy dailys. Since reputation you get from them is legacy wide. Comms pretty much too, since you can send items around. Same goes for credits.

And wheres the problem with it? Programming a character perk that you can unlock for whatever sum once you got the Datacron Master achievement? You do the same with HK. Find all the parts once and then you are able to unlock him for every character you want to have him on.

And for those that are screaming pay to win: wouldn't it also be pay to win if you were able to buy more xp? Yet that is possible through legacy unlocks a new player doesn't have access to since he lacks the credits and legacy level.

And yes, i know about daacron farming. I did ALL of them on two characters, one imp one pub, last week, including Makeb and fleet. Took me 3 days of playtime.

Edit: And you can gear out 3 million toons with the effort of just one character if you want to. All it takes is time and credits. Yet you want to tell me you shouldn't be able to get a little stat boni for all of them by that?

Edited by Torvai

First of, it's boni, not bonuses. Stop sounding like an idiot.

And then yes, there ARE legacy dailys. Since reputation you get from them is legacy wide. Comms pretty much too, since you can send items around. Same goes for credits.

And wheres the problem with it? Programming a character perk that you can unlock for whatever sum once you got the Datacron Master achievement? You do the same with HK. Find all the parts once and then you are able to unlock him for every character you want to have him on.

And for those that are screaming pay to win: wouldn't it also be pay to win if you were able to buy more xp? Yet that is possible through legacy unlocks a new player doesn't have access to since he lacks the credits and legacy level.

And yes, i know about daacron farming. I did ALL of them on two characters, one imp one pub, last week, including Makeb and fleet. Took me 3 days of playtime.

Edit: And you can gear out 3 million toons with the effort of just one character if you want to. All it takes is time and credits. Yet you want to tell me you shouldn't be able to get a little stat boni for all of them by that?

Boni?

You might want to check this out:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bonus?s=t

bonus

[boh-nuh s]

Synonyms

Examples

Word Origin

noun, plural bonuses.

something given or paid over and above what is due.

a sum of money granted or given to an employee, a returned soldier, etc., in addition to regular pay, usually in appreciation for work done, length of service, accumulated favors, etc.

something free, as an extra dividend, given by a corporation to a purchaser of its securities.

a premium paid for a loan, contract, etc.

something extra or additional given freely:

Every purchaser of a pound of coffee received a box of cookies as a bonus.

Reputation is legacy wide, true. Does reputation give you permanent stat bonuses? The last time I checked, it did not.

If you do a daily, do you get the credits and the comms on only ONE character, or do each and every one of your characters, present and future, get the same credits and comms? You get the reward on only the character that did the daily.

As for gearing alts through comms earned by one character, you can do that. You simply have to earn the necessary comms for EVERY ALT you wish to gear. You do NOT get to earn the comms to gear one character and magically have each and every one your characters, present and future, equally geared.

Once you earn the stat bonuses on one character, can you earn them a second time and send the second set of stat bonuses to your alt? No, you can't.

Alright, you don't make any sense. Sorry but our conversation is over since reasoning isn't your strong side.

Give me a reason that doesn't boil down to "I'm too lazy to do it on all my characters, but I want those stat bonuses, so give them to me."

Give me an example of a situation where you can do something once, on ONE CHARACTER only and gain permanent bonuses to endurance, willpower, strength, cunning and aim on each and every character you have, present and future.

Give me a reason that doesn't boil down to "I'm too lazy to do it on all my characters, but I want those stat bonuses, so give them to me."

Give me an example of a situation where you can do something once, on ONE CHARACTER only and gain permanent bonuses to endurance, willpower, strength, cunning and aim on each and every character you have, present and future.

Ever maxed out a companions affection? You do this once on one character and get, for example, 1%(at the time of his writing even 2) accuracy for each and every character you have, present and future. And you don't even have to pay for it on other toons. You get it completely for free.

And btw, bonus is a Latin word and in it's origin it's plural is boni. Just because people are to dumb to learn basic things like this in school so government all of a sudden changes grammar rules so it's okay doesn't make it right.

Edit: okay nevermind about that bonus plural thing. Apparently in english boni isn't known. Didn't know that.:o But the point above remains :)

Edited by Torvai

Ever maxed out a companions affection? You do this once on one character and get, for example, 1%(at the time of his writing even 2) accuracy for each and every character you have, present and future. And you don't even have to pay for it on other toons. You get it completely for free.

And btw, bonus is a Latin word and in it's origin it's plural is boni. Just because people are to dumb to learn basic things like this in school so government all of a sudden changes grammar rules so it's okay doesn't make it right.

Edit: okay nevermind about that bonus plural thing. Apparently in english boni isn't known. Didn't know that.:o But the point above remains :)

Yes, I am well aware of the bonuses provided when you max out affection for the first, and only the first, companion of each type: healing, melee dps, ranged dps, ranged tank and melee tank. Each type of companion provides a different bonus.

You have failed to answer my challenge, however. Here it is again:

Simple. Completing the, I think knight/warrior(could also be inqui/consular, not sure of that) Story and get +5% main stat buff for every character.

And besides, I think the 1% crit for max comp affection is more or at least equal to all mainstat datacron gains. And as said, thats a one time grind on one character for all other characters.

Edit: And to make it clear: I also don't want a Legacy unlock. What I would like to see is something similar to HK. Meaning you get a character perk so you CAN unlock and get the stat boni from the datacrons for that character only. Not the codex entry, and not the ep you're normally awarded if you unlock a datacron. And this character perk becomes available only when you have completed the "Datacron Master" achievement. Again, you would have to first unlock every datacron there is AND you would have to pay for it for every character you want to have it on. Simply to safe some time.

Edit2: Abs of course set some more restrictions to it, like legacy and character level 45 at least. Better 50. Since it would be ridiculous to get it on lvl 1, I agree :)

Edited by Torvai

The point Ratajack is trying to make is that for each commendation item bought and traded to a new character from character A, NEW in-game effort has to be put forth for each commendation item purchased. With legacy datacrons, the effort only needs to be a total of one or two times. More effort has to be put forth in order to get new commendation items.

Simple. Completing the, I think knight/warrior(could also be inqui/consular, not sure of that) Story and get +5% main stat buff for every character.

And besides, I think the 1% crit for max comp affection is more or at least equal to all mainstat datacron gains. And as said, thats a one time grind on one character for all other characters.

Edit: And to make it clear: I also don't want a Legacy unlock. What I would like to see is something similar to HK. Meaning you get a character perk so you CAN unlock and get the stat boni from the datacrons for that character only. Not the codex entry, and not the ep you're normally awarded if you unlock a datacron. And this character perk becomes available only when you have completed the "Datacron Master" achievement. Again, you would have to first unlock every datacron there is AND you would have to pay for it for every character you want to have it on. Simply to safe some time.

Edit2: Abs of course set some more restrictions to it, like legacy and character level 45 at least. Better 50. Since it would be ridiculous to get it on lvl 1, I agree :)

Again, you fail to meet my challenge. None of the buffs from completing chapter 2 of any class are PERMANENT bonuses.

Once again, give me an example of being able to do something ONCE on ONE character and getting PERMANENT stat bonuses to ENDURANCE, WILLPOWER, STRENGTH, CUNNING OR AIM on each and every character you have, present and future.

What doesn't make it not permanent? The fact, i have to click it once an hour? Don't be silly.

But okay, since this is good, why not just make a "Datacron Buff". Unlocks when you get datacron master and gives you a 60 min lasting buff that provides the boni? Would be fine by your logic. It isn't permanent and basicly the same thing exists already.

And I just love how you just ignored my definition of this whole "legacy datacron" thing.

And of course, if it would be implemented, you wouldn't use it EVER:rolleyes:

Edited by Torvai

What doesn't make it not permanent? The fact, i have to click it once an hour? Don't be silly.

But okay, since this is good, why not just make a "Datacron Buff". Unlocks when you get datacron master and gives you a 60 min lasting buff that provides the boni? Would be fine by your logic. It isn't permanent and basicly the same thing exists already.

And I just love how you just ignored my definition of this whole "legacy datacron" thing.

And of course, if it would be implemented, you wouldn't use it EVER:rolleyes:

By definition, the fact that the buff expires in 60 minutes makes it TEMPORARY and NOT permanent.

Legacy datacrons would give permanent stat bonuses endurance, strength, willpower, cunning and aim to characters that had not earned them. Those bonuses would apply to that character at all times, even in a WZ, an OP or a full group. This is vastly different from a temporary buff, or a companion that is not usable in WZ's, OP's or full groups.

I don't get what the big deal is. The datacron boni aren't even that high, but the time it takes for one character to get them all is significant. I get the feeling that everyone who's against this idea have already found them on multiple characters and want others to have to do the same because reasons.

Again, you fail to meet my challenge. None of the buffs from completing chapter 2 of any class are PERMANENT bonuses.

Once again, give me an example of being able to do something ONCE on ONE character and getting PERMANENT stat bonuses to ENDURANCE, WILLPOWER, STRENGTH, CUNNING OR AIM on each and every character you have, present and future.

How are they not permanent? They can be reapplied AT ANY TIME. For all practical intents and purposes, they are as permanent as any buff can be.

Edited by MagikFingerz

By definition, the fact that the buff expires in 60 minutes makes it TEMPORARY and NOT permanent.

Legacy datacrons would give permanent stat bonuses endurance, strength, willpower, cunning and aim to characters that had not earned them. Those bonuses would apply to that character at all times, even in a WZ, an OP or a full group. This is vastly different from a temporary buff, or a companion that is not usable in WZ's, OP's or full groups.

In my case, my class buffs are pretty permanent ;)

And guess what, they give boni to all mainstats, endurance, crit chance and any bonus damage. And guess another thing: they aply to all my group members. Even in a warzone. If zhe opposing team doesn't have them, than not only me but my whole team gets an advantage they maybe didn't earn themselves by now.

So you should go and make a suggestion, that players that haven't unlocked other class buffs shouldn't be able to receive them?

If your point is only that it would give an advantage over players who don't gathered datacrons yet, what makes it different from companion affection buffs? And don't repeat yourself with "It isn't mainstat". We all know this. Nevertheless it's a permanent bonus that gives me an advantage over players who don't have it. And it's even higher than all datacron buffs combined. And it doesn't cost a thing. So what exactly is your point? Other than: "I put in the effort, so everyone should have to"?

Alright listen. OP made it like he wants a cartel market item that everyone at anytime could buy that gives you those boni. You don't want that and I'm with you on that. What I would like is a character perk, not a global unlock. This perk would be only obtainable when you got all datacrons at least once, with other restrictions set to it, like a certain character level. Since i agree with you that it would be to much if you could get it early on in game on a new toon. And you would have to pay for it on every character you want to have it. Basically like the HK unlock. So you have the choice to grind them all again for that character like you do now, or pay to save the time on it. Or don't get it at all. What, exactly, would be so bad about it?

Edited by Torvai

Alright listen. OP made it like he wants a cartel market item that everyone at anytime could buy that gives you those boni. You don't want that and I'm with you on that. What I would like is a character perk, not a global unlock. This perk would be only obtainable when you got all datacrons at least once, with other restrictions set to it, like a certain character level. Since i agree with you that it would be to much if you could get it early on in game on a new toon. And you would have to pay for it on every character you want to have it. Basically like the HK unlock. So you have the choice to grind them all again for that character like you do now, or pay to save the time on it. Or don't get it at all. What, exactly, would be so bad about it?

This. It being on CM is probably not the best idea, but there's nothing wrong with it being a legacy perk.

I don't get what the big deal is. The datacron boni aren't even that high, but the time it takes for one character to get them all is significant. I get the feeling that everyone who's against this idea have already found them on multiple characters and want others to have to do the same because reasons.

If the stat bonuses aren't even that high, then it will not hurt you not to have them on a given character if you do not want to find the datacrons on that character. If the stat bonuses are so important to have, then they are worth the time required to earn them.

How are they not permanent? They can be reapplied AT ANY TIME. For all practical intents and purposes, they are as permanent as any buff can be.

The fact that they expire makes them NOT permanent. Sure, you can reapply them at any time, but if you do not, they EXPIRE as they are a TEMPORARY buff.

In my case, my class buffs are pretty permanent ;)

And guess what, they give boni to all mainstats, endurance, crit chance and any bonus damage. And guess another thing: they aply to all my group members. Even in a warzone. If zhe opposing team doesn't have them, than not only me but my whole team gets an advantage they maybe didn't earn themselves by now.

So you should go and make a suggestion, that players that haven't unlocked other class buffs shouldn't be able to receive them?

If your point is only that it would give an advantage over players who don't gathered datacrons yet, what makes it different from companion affection buffs? And don't repeat yourself with "It isn't mainstat". We all know this. Nevertheless it's a permanent bonus that gives me an advantage over players who don't have it. And it's even higher than all datacron buffs combined. And it doesn't cost a thing. So what exactly is your point? Other than: "I put in the effort, so everyone should have to"?

I hope they never introduce legacy datacrons and so far everything I've seen and heard indicates that they have no intention to ever introduce legacy datacrons. I've provided the link to support this and other posted have provided their conversations with the devs. If you've had a conversation with a dev who said otherwise, please feel free to provide your experience.

That said, if they ever choose to introduce legacy datacrons, I would hope they do it in something like this fashion.

1) Legacy datacron is faction specific and must be earned separately for each faction

2) ALL datacrons must be found by a single character to unlock legacy datacrons for that faction.

3) The unlock should carry a HIGH cost, whether that cost be in CC's or credits.

4) Stat bonuses are not "awarded" until a character reaches max level. If a player wants the bonus from a particular datacron prior to reaching max level, they can find that datacron.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's ALL ABOUT THE STATS.

If Datacrons had no stats and just some Codex entries nobody would care. The fact that they do, and insignificant they may be, is the only reason these posts get made.

People try and blow them off (stat bonuses) as being insignificant, well, if they are then why do you want them so badly? The fact is that the stat bonuses *are* signficant and *are* meaningful and so going out and making a small amount of effort to get them is a fair deal.

When it's all said and done you've got approximately an extra (free) +50 to every stat for doing nothing more than walking around and picking up glowing boxes each time you level a new character.

I still don't know why these discussions even happen. They've said they aren't doing it and there's no plans to do it other than the Codex entries. They've printed it (Ratajack posts the link all the time) and they've personally said it to my face at a Cantina stop. It's going nowhere and all these do is make people mad at each other and are a complete waste of time since they're never doing it.

Edited by PetFish