More Health or More Secondary Stats (NiM Tanking)

ArsenalJaycen

My guild is just about to start doing DF NiM and I am the main tank on my jugg. And I can't decide which is better. I went and swapped out all the high endurance mods / ench and put in higher secondary stats. But by doing this I lose 2K HP. But I gain 1% on shield and 3% on absorb. Did I do the right thing.

My current stats are :

HP - 42325

Defence - 20.08%

Shield Chance - 42.13%

Shield Absrob - 38.02%

I also use the Dread Forged Relic of Fortunate Redoubt and the Dread Forged Relic of Reactive Warding

I dont main tank often , but the stats you listed are similar to my tank set. The only exception is my health is a little lower since I still have a pvp relic and underworld ear piece. However, I have tanked 4/5 df nim with no issues in dtps compared to our other better geared tanks. In short, I would believe you'll see a slightly lower dtps but nothing to write about. I would say that with the nerf you can go either way really. Maybe talk to your healers after a week or 2 of pulls to see if they'd prefer more leeway by increased health. I've heard reasonable explanations for choosing either way, so I can't say for certain one is better than the other; however, I am sure others have solid arguments to offer

For a Juggernaut Tank:

Defstats > Strength > Hp > Everything Else

Defstats lower the dtps you get

Strength increases the amount which is shielded by your sonic barrier

Hp increases TTL

Everything Else is near worthless bc it does not influence your dtps, only your dps/threat by a near useless amount. Talking about 10-20dps = 20-40 tps

Now for DF and DP its a little differenc bc the buff got removed. Bosses do abt 1k dtps on a tank. Defstats have 2 diminishing returns.

#1 the more defstats you have the less it influences your dtps

#2 the lesser the damage you receive the less important defstats become

By the removal of NM buff defstats became less important as the dmg of bosses has been reduced. Increasing your Health would be a fine thing for your healers as the dmg income is low and as you seem to begin with NM content it will buy them more time before they really need to heal you. They might need that time because they are not 100% used to the tactics/boss.

Thats mainly for DF, DP despite having the NM buff removed, bosses seem to make more dmg than Bosses in DF. So in my opinion bosses in DP still do enough dmg to make high defstat mods worth it.

To be honest, when in doubt stack defstats because a little more hp won't be that effective.

Edited by Methoxa

For a Juggernaut Tank:

Defstats > Strength > Hp > Everything Else

Following your logic it would be DefStats > Power (but only matter for the crystals) > Strenght > HP > Everything else.

Sonic Barrier can't crit which makes Power better than Strenght but since you can't change one for the other, it doesn't matter much except for the crystals.

Following your logic it would be DefStats > Power (but only matter for the crystals) > Strenght

Basically you are right however you dont take power mods/enhancements. The only which has power in your gear are your augments. All defstats augments have power in it. However there are A and B mods even in DP+DF NM gear. They differ in endurance strength and defstats total values. The bad mods, i think it was the A version has more endurance and less strength and less defstats. B-mods however have less endurance but more strength and more defstats. Those B-mods are on all Items of the mightmare vendors. My priority list just should show that you should aim for the b-mods.

Changing you augments to a non defstat+power augment should not even cross your mind :D

Basically you are right however you dont take power mods/enhancements. The only which has power in your gear are your augments. All defstats augments have power in it. However there are A and B mods even in DP+DF NM gear. They differ in endurance strength and defstats total values. The bad mods, i think it was the A version has more endurance and less strength and less defstats. B-mods however have less endurance but more strength and more defstats. Those B-mods are on all Items of the mightmare vendors. My priority list just should show that you should aim for the b-mods.

Changing you augments to a non defstat+power augment should not even cross your mind :D

Got the names wrong for the mods :p

Its:

36 Mod: 89 strength, 68 endurance, 75 Secondary Stat (Defense, Absorb, Power or Crit) - Found in Dread Master Token gear

36A Mod: 108 (+19) strength, 75 (+7) endurance, 43 (-32) Secondary Stat (Power or Crit, defensive variations are unavailable) - Found in Dread Touched DPS gear.

36B Mod: 75 Strength (-14), 96 Endurance (+28), 60 Secondary Stat (Defense or Absorb, offensive variations are unavailable) (-15) - Found in Dread Touched tank gear.

So its a loss of 14 strength and 15 defense/absorb to get 28 endurance for the 36B Mods, and the 36As are unavailable for tanks, but if they weren't they'd still be useless because of the huge hit to the secondary stat bonus from them.