The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Tanking pvp help?(Bastion

KassumaSB

Reason i put bastion in there is because if ur willing to help me and in that server would be awesome

1 I wanna know what the role of me is in pugs and premades. Do i target the healers and keep them healing themselves while pulling of my healer or dps or do i wade straight into a battle first to get their attention and let my guys take them out from behind. Or is all of that just situational

2 If im going to be a pug tank or pvp tank do they require different builds

3 can someone mention a good dps and a good cd rotation

4 if im going to be pugs alot do i need to invest points in the HiB perk from level one Shield tree because all guides point to the perk of HiB armor ignorance.

5 i just want some tips that only the pros would know so i can learn or start to learn them or help me in my own server

P.S. Dont start dissing me because im asking so much stuff or because i seem like a newb i just wanna be recognized so people will wanna heal me so they can inturn stay alive or become a better tank so when i get to 55 the hardcore pvper will want me to join

1 I wanna know what the role of me is in pugs and premades. Do i target the healers and keep them healing themselves while pulling of my healer or dps or do i wade straight into a battle first to get their attention and let my guys take them out from behind. Or is all of that just situational

Stay close to your healer, taunt on CD the guys who aren't attacked you. Guard the guy who is getting focused (not always the healer) and you'll be half decent and better than most tank in PvP.

2 If im going to be a pug tank or pvp tank do they require different builds

This is my build for everything but DPS check PvE.

3 can someone mention a good dps and a good cd rotation

There is no rotation, just use Stockstrike when it reset. Use Pulse Cannon with Pulse Engine.

4 if im going to be pugs alot do i need to invest points in the HiB perk from level one Shield tree because all guides point to the perk of HiB armor ignorance.

You don't have the points to afford it.

5 i just want some tips that only the pros would know so i can learn or start to learn them or help me in my own server.

There is no secret as how to play a PvP tank. Just a lot of skill.... Good luck.

Stay close to your healer, taunt on CD the guys who aren't attacked you. Guard the guy who is getting focused (not always the healer) and you'll be half decent and better than most tank in PvP.

This is my build for everything but DPS check PvE.

There is no rotation, just use Stockstrike when it reset. Use Pulse Cannon with Pulse Engine.

You don't have the points to afford it.

There is no secret as how to play a PvP tank. Just a lot of skill.... Good luck.

What this guy said. I played a lot of PvP tank on the bastion in ranked 4s back in the day and am not just some random bad writing on the forums. The number 1 thing people forget is they DO NOT have to pull good damage numbers or "harass" healers. Please, look after your healer and DPS and gear and spec yourself to be as tanky as humanly possible (with the exception of playing some sort of hybrid - but don't do this until you have proper tanking down properly).

In respect to your cooldowns, DO NOT use riot gas/oil slick and energy shield at the same time. Classically, I always use heat blast first in combination with AoE snare and move onto AoE stun, grapple/harpoon to oil slick as a hardcore peeling tool. I DO NOT use energy shield until I am around 45-50% health and any decent healer should be able to heal you with your energy shield active. If I continue to get low I use Kolto overload at around 20-25% and then move onto medpac (because I DON'T die when I tank so this is a last resort because of the infinite cooldown) and adrenal finally. Do not overlap your cooldowns and always protect the people protecting you (healers and good DPS). Do NOT peel for bad players because they won't notice it or return the favor. Do not double up on your cooldowns and use your leap to root enemies chasing your ranged DPS. Don't leap into the enemies backline just to "harass" them. One good healer and 1 good vanguard/PT tank can literally thwart all of the melee DPS attacking a healer - PT tanks are amazing at peeling Melee DPS off their healers so try to excel at that (you can taunt the ranged but its the healer's job to be smart and use some LOS too) Good luck and feel free to whisper me on the Bastion if you need a hand.

thank u both so much that is great help. And yea me and a sentinel held off 6 people for about 2 minutes i was impressed with him but then he started not defending and insulting me and the team. So yea but a good tank can hold them sadly no one helped by capping the other bases

Thank you for sharing!

I am new to the class, so I was wondering if you could clarify the abilities you use to peel:

Classically, I always use heat blast first in combination with AoE snare and move onto AoE stun, grapple/harpoon to oil slick as a hardcore peeling tool.

Energy Blast, Rocket AoE(?), ? (probably too low level, only have a single target carbofreeze atm), Harpoon, Riot Gas - am I getting it right?

TY :)

Thank you for sharing!

I am new to the class, so I was wondering if you could clarify the abilities you use to peel:

Energy Blast, Rocket AoE(?), ? (probably too low level, only have a single target carbofreeze atm), Harpoon, Riot Gas - am I getting it right?

TY :)

yea at 46 or something u get neural surge aoe stun 5 people and i dont know if ur pub or emp