End game help with my mara

Count_Azrael

Hey guys, I'm new to SWTOR and purely on aesthetics and curiosity I chose my first play through with a Sith Warrior Marauder. As I've been playing through the story line I've interacted with others on Heroics and Flashpoints but figured I'd really saturate myself in the community once I got to the endgame.

Well I finally finished the game and am leveled to 55... and now it seems Marauder might have been the worst way to go for endgame fun because they seem to be pretty crippled in a lot of ways...

1. Bad at PvP - I am getting owned even though i'm pretty well geared.

2. Low Survivability - in tough Ops and Flashpoints if I get a tank or healer who isn't right on their game I die quite quickly and easily.

3. Queues take forever - obviously group finder etc takes alot longer as a DPS than if I was a tank or healer... which makes for a decent amount of waiting.

All that said, what skill tree and priority for Crit/Power/Surge etc will best help me for endgame?

I realize this is judgement call in some ways, but I have the advantage of not knowing how maras were before so i'm not bitter, angry or bias... I would just like opinions and I'll try to sort through the suggestions.

Please keep in mind I'm slowing catching on here, but don't talk to me like I was in beta with you ;)

Also, I WILL make another character... so spare me the suggestions to do so :)

Hey guys, I'm new to SWTOR and purely on aesthetics and curiosity I chose my first play through with a Sith Warrior Marauder. As I've been playing through the story line I've interacted with others on Heroics and Flashpoints but figured I'd really saturate myself in the community once I got to the endgame.

Well I finally finished the game and am leveled to 55... and now it seems Marauder might have been the worst way to go for endgame fun because they seem to be pretty crippled in a lot of ways...

1. Bad at PvP - I am getting owned even though i'm pretty well geared.

2. Low Survivability - in tough Ops and Flashpoints if I get a tank or healer who isn't right on their game I die quite quickly and easily.

3. Queues take forever - obviously group finder etc takes alot longer as a DPS than if I was a tank or healer... which makes for a decent amount of waiting.

All that said, what skill tree and priority for Crit/Power/Surge etc will best help me for endgame?

I realize this is judgement call in some ways, but I have the advantage of not knowing how maras were before so i'm not bitter, angry or bias... I would just like opinions and I'll try to sort through the suggestions.

Please keep in mind I'm slowing catching on here, but don't talk to me like I was in beta with you ;)

Also, I WILL make another character... so spare me the suggestions to do so :)

For PvE annihilation is currently the strongest and easiest to play spec in the game. For PvP I would recommend annihilation first to a new player as well as it is the easiest of the 2 currently strong PvP specs to play well, although at the moment the Marauder is one of the most difficult classes to excel with in PvP now. It still can be quite strong when geared effectively and played reasonably well.

For gear, stack strength first, and power/surge next. I also run with two pieces of power/accuracy gear, but many go full power/surge. Crit is not needed at all for the mara currently (note that these are PvP gear recommendations, PvE stat stacking is similar but slightly different with more accuracy used and some folks sprinkling in a little crit). For PvP one of the big things to do first is get a full set of augments for your gear. That will matter more than getting PvP gear. And you will definitely see your experience improve greatly with better gear.

Hey now, take heart and chin up. In my opinion, marauder is the most fun class to play in PVE. All 3 specs are a kick to play and the benefits you bring to the ops group are fantastic (not to mention the DPS is insane). Survivability in PVE is just fine in my opinion. You need to be careful not to pull threat from the tank but it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Make sure you are popping your cooldowns. They are powerful and will help you survive. In PVE you can use force camo as a defensive cooldown since it offers damage reduction. Now, concerning pvp, yes you will have a hard time at first. It takes a while to really learn the play style. I recently switched from carnage to annihilation and am really enjoying it in pvp even with its issues with kiting. I like the different play style and it is, in my opinion, easier to play. For gearing, you of course always want strength followed by power/surge. In pvp, you want as much power as possible with no accuracy or crit in your gear. I also use overkill augments. In pve, I put enough accuracy in my gear to get 100% (the number of pieces with accuracy will change depending on the spec). I also use a small amount of crit in the form of the earpiece although this is more due to the fact that I have no other choice rather than an active decision. I also use might augments in this case. Keep playing and gear up. Experiment with the different specs to see which one you really enjoy and work on perfecting that spec.

• 3 weeks later...

My $0.02: I have leveled marauder, assassin, operative healer, and knight/guardian and the marauder is by far the most fun to play. I have played both annihilation and carnage, currently in carnage spec. Both specs are fun to play, but at the moment i like carnage better (though I really miss the self-heals form annihilation). Carnage has better burst.

Go to a good resource like Dulfy.net or the forums in the class sections. There is a really outstanding spreadsheet by Oofalong for annihilation marauder- you can see that here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=761096. When I was specced annihilation this tool was immensely useful.

The general rule is to get your accuracy up to 100%, then stack power and augment with strength/power augments. Annihilation spec requires you stack more accuracy than carnage does. You may need a little extra crit for carnage. The above sources decribe the approach, and the skill trees.

Can't comment on PVP, as I am inept at that.

Edited by ATAMIANM