The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

There should be a "faded" dye type

nerdofprey

So far the dye system has all these categories like "dark," "bright," "pale" etc. that cover a lot of possible styles, but what's entirely absent so far are colors that are both dark and desaturated or "grayed out." To think of a simple descriptive word my best idea is "faded."

A lot of vanilla armors, most of them actually, don't use super-saturated colors, and for good reason. Almost every dye on the market right now looks garish because the colors are too intense. Even something like "dark brown" is so orange as to be off-putting.

Some of the nicest colors currently available are the "pale" colors which are less saturated versions of the light/bright colors. "Faded" colors could be the darker version of that. For example "faded blue" could be a nice subtle navy blue. "Faded green" would be a forest green suitable for camouflage. "Faded red" would be like a brick red color. And so on!

Aside from adding some variety, I think this would ease up demand a little bit for the various monochrome dyes - black, white, and gray in different combinations are in such high demand partly because they're the only ones that look good on a lot of armors.

It's also an appropriate look for Star Wars! This is supposed to be a "used universe" where not everything is clean and shiny. The movie costumes mostly used earth tones and grays.

I was hoping this would have happened a lot sooner as the dye system expanded, but so far it's been almost entirely recombinations of existing, oversarurated colors. It's time to branch out.

Combat damage isnt applicable to a dye. same thing for reflective shiney ness as by the requested gold dye. Damage, shinyness, etc is all determined by the mesh setup by the individual armor. I used to think like this too that it would be that easy when I worked on making armor for my skyrim on PC.

Best "faded" dye type you could get in my opinion is pale. it also highly depends on what you are wearing.

Combat damage isnt applicable to a dye. same thing for reflective shiney ness as by the requested gold dye. Damage, shinyness, etc is all determined by the mesh setup by the individual armor. I used to think like this too that it would be that easy when I worked on making armor for my skyrim on PC.

Best "faded" dye type you could get in my opinion is pale. it also highly depends on what you are wearing.

Haha, yes, Skyrim modding makes for an amazing crash course on how armor textures work in video games. It was particularly mindblowing learning about normalmaps. They are like magic!

But yeah, dyes in this game are not technically capable of changing the way the surface texture looks, making it shiny or scuffed or whatever.

I do wonder how technically possible it is to apply a simple pattern to a "dye" for some extra complexity. That's probably a question for another thread.

Anyway, I am a fan of the "pale" dyes, like said. One of my characters has the "pale red" on an Aspiring Knight's chestpiece and that's a heck of a good look.

I should add, lest I sound totally ungrateful, that sometimes the bright colors look great. If the shoe was on the other foot, and everything was desaturated earth tones, we'd all be begging for a proper red or blue. It's just weird that we don't have both options!