How good is the galactic strongholds in swtor?

Davidhypukp

Ok, well, rating is pretty tough...so I will give it three ratings.

QoL (using stronghold as a one stop convenience shop and travel point) - 8

It loses a point for not having credit storage or access to a daily terminal but thats the only real flaw IMO.

Stronghold as housing you can personalize and decorate - 6

And that is a higher mark than I expected to give it. For a hook system it is impressive compared to other hook systems in other games, especially with respect to the ability to change the hook pattern, but overall the system is still a hook system...which is tired IMO. Crafting for U MKs also loses points...it is FAR more complicated than it needs to be IMO.

If their intent was to create a housing system that was easy to decorate and use, they failed miserably on both points. The chat in any world channel when in a stronghold stands in evidence. On this point I think they went WAY overboard with the complexity. Especially considering the housing system uses hooks.

I also find quite a few folks losing interest fast. Housing is supposed to be something that folks invest time in, and it just doesn't seem to have the appeal it should with the casual playerbase.

So, overall mark would be 7. Great, fantastic as a QoL addition, a failure as a housing system IMO.

Edited by LordArtemis

I think overachievers who did their Strnghold decoration to 100% within hours of launch will be bored with it.

On the whole I really liked it as it's very flexible hook system. Only problem I face is the decorations are pretty plain for those that you can make. The really awesome stuff are from Events but whcih I don't have because I prefer to solo due to time contraint.

So I miss out on very nice decorations.

1. You'll need a lot of credits and be able to do a lot of crafting to actually decorate without grinding forever.

2. Public strongholds are an excuse to show off junker chairs, as the real purpose of housing is not to decorate, but to fill to 100% to maximize conquest points.

3. Decor is either rare or expensive (double if you're not a crafter).

4. If you aren't rich, or a big crafter, or both, it will get boring before you ever have a chance to fully use it.

In short, it's a PvE mechanic for conquests that values the rich and crafters (for good or ill). If you aren't one of those, it won't be too much fun.

2/5

Edited by Maullum

I will rate it based on the things I see....

Design, rating an 8:

I love the designs of all three that I own, Coruscant, Dromund Kaas and Nar Shadaa. Nar is my favorite because all of my pub and imp toons can go there so I spend much of my time decorating that one, plus it's my favorite design by far and was worth the cost of opening everything up.

Coruscant and DK look alike design wise but they are unique because of the architecture and ambience, love Coruscant the most.

Ease of use, rating 5:

I don't like the limits the hooks put on you and the limited hooks. They needed to allow a lot more hook layouts than they did. It is difficult to layout some room because of this.

Comfort, 9"

I love having mailboxes, legacy, personal and guild storage all in the same place and having all the fabrication droids and the vendor right there. I also have 2 GTNs, one on Nar and one on Coruscant.

Furnishings, 7:

The good stuff is always going to cost more but I wish they had more lighting designs that weren't in packs. The basic stuff is ok, but not great.

What I don't like.

I don't like that I can't resize anything. I can't put things where I want and the price of unlocking stuff was quite large. I spent a lot of credits and cartel coins to open all three up.

I don't like the crafting the dark project so we can see our starships on the landing pad. poor design there. We should have them there and should be able to use them without spending a mint buying a Dark Project from someone else. I'd rather spend Cartel Coins to unlock it.

What I do like:

RP value is very high. I can see my people using my place as a place to hang out and I'm thinking of making my Nar place public.

Overall, I think they did a good job but left room for improvement.