Companions as holograms... please don't.

ZoltanMester

It just makes no sense for offline companions to show up as holograms. It's ugly. If we wanted to make it look like they were doing something, it's not working as holos. There are no projectors underneath the either, for us to have the possibility to make it look like they are in a holocall, it just sucks.

I just can't place our companions properly, and don't you think that is kind of an important part of our homes?

Its fine.

What bothers me is that companions that don't belong to your active character (e.g. holograms) revert to their default look and armor, removing all customizations, sometimes even all armor. There's something disturbing about the sight of Corso and Scourge, both in underwear, greeting me every time i enter my stronghold.

What is going on in there, while I'm not present!?

What bothers me is that companions that don't belong to your active character (e.g. holograms) revert to their default look and armor, removing all customizations, sometimes even all armor. There's something disturbing about the sight of Corso and Scourge, both in underwear, greeting me every time i enter my stronghold.

What is going on in there, while I'm not present!?

There's this series called Banshee.

In one of the episodes for the first season, Joseph Gatt, the VA who does Lord Scourge had a fairly... "Prominent" role one might say. See that episode and you can image from there.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

This has been one of the biggest disappointments for me of GSH, along with the 25 NPC limit. I'm really not sure of what the thinking is behind the current implementation of companions in strongholds.

I had plans to create a bar and have some of my companions in there together. Kaliyo sharing a drink with Doc, Treek sharing tales of bravery with Blizz. That sort of thing. But not only do they become holograms, but they are in underwear and stuck in a static pose and can't be positioned to interact with the furniture.

I'm not expecting full customizaton, but at very least they should be there in person, wearing the outfit they currently have equipped and be able to be toggled between standing and seated.

This has been one of the biggest disappointments for me of GSH, along with the 25 NPC limit. I'm really not sure of what the thinking is behind the current implementation of companions in strongholds.

I had plans to create a bar and have some of my companions in there together. Kaliyo sharing a drink with Doc, Treek sharing tales of bravery with Blizz. That sort of thing. But not only do they become holograms, but they are in underwear and stuck in a static pose and can't be positioned to interact with the furniture.

I'm not expecting full customizaton, but at very least they should be there in person, wearing the outfit they currently have equipped and be able to be toggled between standing and seated.

Kaliyo didn't like Doc that much. Quite the opposite in fact.

I like the holograms, I wish all were holograms.

Well perhaps it should be an option. Holograms for those who like them and those who are sticklers for lore. And non holograms for those that would like to see different companions in one place together.

Player housing should be about personal expression and creating a 'living breathing' environment to enjoy and share with friends. Too much of GSH feels like setting up a museum, and a museum with rather strict placements limits at that.

I think the current implementation of companions in strongholds is awful.

SWTOR was built on the foundation of story. You level up your character and play through the cut scenes with their companions, and while very linear and no where as developed as earlier Bioware games, it does breathe life into the crew you are forced to travel with.

And, then it comes to place them in a stronghold shared by your whole legacy and it shines a life on how limited the companion system actually is.

It's a shame the devs couldn't have embraced the concept of legacy a little more whole heartedly. Allow us to place and display Alts from our legacy and their companions, as actual characters and not as holograms.

Technically it is feasible. There is the ability to store character models and equipment between characters in the same legacy. Go to the legacy family tree, all the characters on that server are listed and show up wearing their current equipment (with colour matching and head hiding as applicable)

Would it have been much more to use the same file to store the details of the companions?

I'm not huge on data storage, but it's not as if you have to store the details of every equipment slot, just the item model, the colour details and what customisation option is active. Surely that can't take up that much info?

As it stands each character has eight companions possible (5 core, ship droid, HK and Ewok) at least half of those only need to record the customisation option and the weapons.

The trouble is, with their system of allocating prestige for the number of hooks occupied this could give a flood of NPCs, at no cost (apart from having to level a character to gain access to them and equip them) a quick calculation shows you could have nearly 200 NPCs to place (22 characters and 176 possible companions, a grand total of 198) although with the restriction of 25 NPCs I doubt this would be an issue ;)

I am fine with a companion hologram as long as it is not meant to be representative of the actual companion but is instead a 'trophy' that you unlock (natural would be to make it available when you unlock that companion) and shows as a proper hologram with the projector stand.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Well perhaps it should be an option. Holograms for those who like them and those who are sticklers for lore. And non holograms for those that would like to see different companions in one place together.

Player housing should be about personal expression and creating a 'living breathing' environment to enjoy and share with friends. Too much of GSH feels like setting up a museum, and a museum with rather strict placements limits at that.

As a stickler for lore, I would prefer the option. Picture Vette and Risha catching up and reminiscing on old times ;)