Force potency works incorrectly

artemskirata

Hey, BW.

You started to change force potency.

"When Force Potency is used, Potent Shadows now has a" bla-bla-bla no further interesting. Good.

But there is a problem.

If we open a description of FP, we can read that:

"Grants 2 charges of Force Potency, which increases the Force critical chance of your direct attacks and heals by 60% and increases the range of Telekinetic Throw to 30 meters. Each time a direct Force ability critically hits or you activate Telekinetic Throw, you lose 1 charge. Lasts 20 seconds." Okay.

And it works in infiltrarion, when we activate Force Breach; it works when we activate Project or TT (doesn't matter which skill tree do we use). It affects on force stun - it critically hits and we lose 1 charge.

BUT IT DOES NOT AFFECTS ON DoT's, like Mind Crush, Sever Force and Force breach (in force technique stance).

It's force attacks. Force Potency (as we can see from description) affects on any force attacks. But why that isn't work??/ From changing stance FB, for example, isn't became tech attack, it's still force. But when I activate it, I don't lose any charge,s and don't deal crit's, and don't recieve any healing from this (if I play in Balance).

Why FP affects on FB in ST, but not in FT? Why FP isn't work on all our force abilities in any skill tree?

That's a bug and it should be fixed as quickly as possible.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt FB a DoT in 1 tree, and a direct attack in another? I do not spend much time as a shadow or assassin dps, and I only use Force Potency on my healers...but I do believe FB is a direct attack in 1 tree, and that is why it works there, and not on the DoT

Actually its working exactly as intended, read the tooltip again, Direct attacks, your dots are not direct attacks therefore it does not work on them, in the balance tree it works on FIB/MC not on sever force or FT.

Exactly. And it would be horrible if it is consumed by activating FB/SF in Balance.

Exactly. And it would be horrible if it is consumed by activating FB/SF in Balance.

Not really if they made it so that the each tick gained the increased crit chance at a reduced rate like 20%-25% so that we could choose where the burst happened instead and get some good healing out of it in the process.

FP works on abilities that damage on application. So you will use it on the first tick of mind crush for example. It will affect every tick of a channel. I generally use it on two channels of TKT as madness to get benefit on the whole channel while building force. Edited by Tellenn

FP works on abilities that damage on application. So you will use it on the first tick of mind crush for example. It will affect every tick of a channel. I generally use it on two channels of TKT as madness to get benefit on the whole channel while building force.

Unfortunately, this only works well at low levels. At higher levels (especially with the 4 piece set bonus for PvE), you get a lot more bang for your buck by using it on Force in Balance. You're a melee dps, which means that if you're taking AoE damage, you lose out on some damage from TKT due to pushback, not to mention the fact that you aren't using melee attacks, which is possibly delaying your instant Mind Crushes. Force in Balance as a critical hit plus a use of Double Strike also does more damage per second than a full critical TKT. It's just not viable for damage, especially not in a real boss fight.

• 3 weeks later...
To be honest, I'm more bothered by the fact that Spinning Kick takes a FP charge...

Not sure why you're bothered by it. It's a Force move that stuns the enemy for 2 seconds, it makes perfect sense for it to consume a Potency charge. It's not so hard to press buttons in rapid succession once you're used to it. You have a whole 1.5 seconds between launching your Spinning Kick and needing to fire off a Force Breach to use Potency, which is off the GCD.

IIRC it DOES affect Mind Crush. That's because Mind Crush does an initial hit of damage, rather than simply ticking on application. If you look at this parse (taken from the Dulfy guide on Sage DPS), you'll see that there are 14 hits from "Mind Crush" and 84 hits from "Crushed (Force)". What do you know, 14 uses of Mind Crush times 6 ticks per application equals 84 total ticks! Weaken Mind, Force Breach (in Force Technique), and Sever Force simply tick on application rather than doing a single hit separate from the DoT component, so they don't count as direct Force attacks.

(The other "Crushed (Force)" category with 21 hits is from Rippling Force.)

Other DoTs that do initial damage separate from their DoT component: Cauterize/Rupture, melee hits from Overload Saber/Deadly Saber, Blade Storm (Vigilance)/Force Scream (Vengeance), Overhead Slash/Impale, Plasma Brand/Shatter, ranged hits inflicting Blazing Speed (Saboteur)/Electrified Railgun (Engineering), shotgun/knife attacks inflicting Flechette Round/Acid Blade, any hits inflicting Plasma Cell/Combustible Gas Cylinder, Plasma Grenade/Fusion Missile, the Ion Overload DoT from Ion Cell/Ion Gas Cylinder, Gut/Retractable Blade, and Incendiary Round/Incendiary Missile.

Force Exhaustion/Force Crush works differently. It does the non-DoT component AFTER the DoT component rather than before.

Of course, none of these matter because they aren't Consular DoTs affected by Force Potency.

For all of these, you can tell because the tooltip says "deals x damage plus y damage over z seconds" rather than saying "deals w damage over v seconds".