I Want Cartel Legacy Gear Options & Variety

Kourage

And how many toons do you see running around in Imperial Pilot Gear, or Republic Pilot Gear?

Me neither...

Good looking legacy armor is rare.

I have 22 Chars and have entire sets lv20-lv55 augmented and ready for all 4 attibutes, so used som 30 or so of them sets as My permanent level up kits.

So yes i used all of the imperial covert pilot sets for this occasion, and it saved me alot of cash on leveling, both on char and companions.

I disagree with Bound-to-Legacy gear being purchasable with RL cash via the CM.

You want Legacy gear, go out and grind for it. Heck, geting BtL the only reason I my endgame toons do Bounties or the Gree event, without that motivation I think a lot of people wouldn't run that content. For example, I didn't do much in the Rakghoul tunnels this time because I have Legend status and 1.5 stacks of unused DNA canisters already.

There's nice variety added recently: the two Tattered gear sets, the Kingpin gear, and the BBA gears, for example. Not perfect, but with those and Voss, CZ, Gree, Makeb, Oricon, GSI, and the free GSF sets (there's about 2 dozen distinct BtL sets, counting Gree as only 1 and not counting the class-specific stuff) you can put together some serviceable looks. The new Manaan stuff may have possibilities too depending on how it dyes.

BtL armor is a prize that encourages people to play the content, and BW knows that. And having people play the content is more important to the long-term survival of the game than CM armor sales are.

I already said, there's only 2 sets I would feel comfortable and proud to wear on my Mercenary/Trooper. That being Dread Host and Section Guardian. But everyday that goes by, I feel less proud to wear that same old armor set.

They design tons of armor for the Cartel Market, but I hardly buy any of it because it's not Legacy bound.

They design tons of armor for the Cartel Market, but I hardly buy any of it because it's not Legacy bound.

Since anything on the CM can be unlocked in Collections, it will most likely never be Legacy bound. It makes little sense for them to change this as it takes away part of their income from legacy unlocks in Collections and you can access it with all characters anyway due to this mechanic. Just not move the same armor pieces between your characters.

Hmm, sounds like work, I get paid for doing something I otherwise wouldn't spend my time doing.

This is how I feel about grinding for credits. Some days I am willing to do so to get what I want. Other days, I come to SWTOR to play a game, not work. I get plenty of work at my RL job already.

I am still fairly new to the game. Someone please explain this "mod transfers" mechanic and why it is desired. Consider my noobishness hanging out...

gear boght with com is bound to whever buys it but some gear can only bind to legacy alowing you to put the mods into it and send it to one of your other charaters

And then it hit me why this will never happen. It's pretty simple, really - Bind to Legacy is in essence a variation of Bind on Pickup, except the object gets bound to your whole legacy instead of just one character. Cartel gear is made so it can be sold on the GTN if you don't need something you get in a random box, therefore it can never be Bind to Legacy.

gear boght with com is bound to whever buys it but some gear can only bind to legacy alowing you to put the mods into it and send it to one of your other charaters

OK. So, if I buy mods using COMs and put the mods into legacy-bound gear, I can then transfer the "bound" mods to another character? Did I get that right?

Please advise (and thanks for your original response).

EDIT: Or are you saying that if I buy gear using COMS (say, basic or ultimate) and rip out the mods, I can then place the mods in BtL gear and swap them to another character? So this would mean I could take the "bound" mod from character 1 and give it to character 2 and it would now be bound to character 2? I think this is what you were getting at.

Edited by mnemonicanemone

And how many toons do you see running around in Imperial Pilot Gear, or Republic Pilot Gear?

Me neither...

Good looking legacy armor is rare.

Try the Imperial Battle Ace-Set with a black and red dye-module. Looks *****in :)

EDIT: Or are you saying that if I buy gear using COMS (say, basic or ultimate) and rip out the mods, I can then place the mods in BtL gear and swap them to another character? So this would mean I could take the "bound" mod from character 1 and give it to character 2 and it would now be bound to character 2? I think this is what you were getting at.

Exactly

I made a post on Reddit about this and Legacy Storage/Bank, and here was my idea, its mainly so bioware still gets their money:

So more than likely BoP items (read Cartel armor/weapons) will never be allowed to be transfered to alts via Legacy Storage, no matter how much of a QoL feature it would be. The reasons being that it would make Bioware lose money from the Collection unlocks, thereby making collections pointless. A partial solution to the matter of crappy looking Legacy Armors and Weapons would be to have the cartel armors and weapons, once you have them Bound to a character and unlockable for your account. When you then unlock them for your account, the armor/weapon that you then pull from collections is then bound to legacy, the armor/weapon that was the original unlock stays Bound to the Character it was unlocked on. This way Bioware keeps the costs of Collections and the revenue gained from those costs, and we get better looking legacy gear, and much more custom looks to work with. I'm pretty sure someone else has put this idea, or something similar on the swtor suggestion forums, but i thought i should put it here and see what everyone thinks.

I made a post on Reddit about this and Legacy Storage/Bank, and here was my idea, its mainly so bioware still gets their money:

So more than likely BoP items (read Cartel armor/weapons) will never be allowed to be transfered to alts via Legacy Storage, no matter how much of a QoL feature it would be. The reasons being that it would make Bioware lose money from the Collection unlocks, thereby making collections pointless. A partial solution to the matter of crappy looking Legacy Armors and Weapons would be to have the cartel armors and weapons, once you have them Bound to a character and unlockable for your account. When you then unlock them for your account, the armor/weapon that you then pull from collections is then bound to legacy, the armor/weapon that was the original unlock stays Bound to the Character it was unlocked on. This way Bioware keeps the costs of Collections and the revenue gained from those costs, and we get better looking legacy gear, and much more custom looks to work with. I'm pretty sure someone else has put this idea, or something similar on the swtor suggestion forums, but i thought i should put it here and see what everyone thinks.

I like this idea, too. This is how I thought the collections unlock for every character worked and i was sorely disappointed when I realized that it just transfers blank, bound items into their inventory. I have debated never buying packs or items again because of the lack of the BtL feature.

Since anything on the CM can be unlocked in Collections, it will most likely never be Legacy bound. It makes little sense for them to change this as it takes away part of their income from legacy unlocks in Collections and you can access it with all characters anyway due to this mechanic. Just not move the same armor pieces between your characters.

That is not efficient for someone who switches between 2 mirror classes regularly. Being able to share Legacy armor was my incentive to level a Commando. When I want to log on my Commando, I just mail 7 armor pieces from my Mercenary. I am not going to pull 3 parts out from each piece, paying a hefty fee, and put them back into another piece. I will wear this same armor if I have to, but I am requesting more options and variety. There are all sorts of ways they can get crafters or the CM involved in the process.

I have 22 Chars and have entire sets lv20-lv55 augmented and ready for all 4 attibutes, so used som 30 or so of them sets as My permanent level up kits.

So yes i used all of the imperial covert pilot sets for this occasion, and it saved me alot of cash on leveling, both on char and companions.

For the longest time, my Shadow (main) had been wearing the Imperial Covert Pilot pants and bracers, and I thought they looked great in their own right. They worked well for me until recently when I upgraded to the Oricon stuff. Now I have Nadia sporting those pieces just because of the aesthetics..

That is not efficient for someone who switches between 2 mirror classes regularly. Being able to share Legacy armor was my incentive to level a Commando. When I want to log on my Commando, I just mail 7 armor pieces from my Mercenary. I am not going to pull 3 parts out from each piece, paying a hefty fee, and put them back into another piece. I will wear this same armor if I have to, but I am requesting more options and variety. There are all sorts of ways they can get crafters or the CM involved in the process.

You're right, it's not. But it's never been about efficiency. Seeing how mods are bound to one character only, they were never intended to be transferred anyway, legacy gear exploit or not. We're more likely to see the exploit fixed and mailing of gear with bound mods restricted than making this even easier. And I wouldn't even mind, there's no reason why a character wouldn't be able to get their own gear and mods without much trouble, playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

Short & Simple;

The Bind to Legacy feature is nice, but my choices of armor to trade between my Mercenary & Trooper are very limited considering the huge assortment of armor available from the Cartel Market. I basically have 2 choices in sets that look appropriate and/or appealing to me. I want more options. I hope there are others who want the same thing.

How is it nice? :rak_02: I've not once had any (and I repeat, ANY) use of BoL gear other than sending over outleveled hilts, crystals or other item mods to lower level alts.

The BoL armor gear there is could just as well have been BoP since you can't even use it on other toons because it's so heavily advanced class restricted, so why on earth would I spend up to a million credits to buy BoL gear if I can't use it on other toons?

Plus that the few sets you can get from rep vendors are just...meh...(including the freebies each new toon gets in the mail)

Edited by LeJarC

That particular problem could be solved by having a turn into legacy gear as a CC option once you unlock it through collections. At that point the "Turn gear into legacy gear" would need to be as high as unlocking it in collection but it could be another selling feature and once you unlocked in in collections, who cares if it's boL or not because you could spawn as many as you wanted anyway.

You're right, it's not. But it's never been about efficiency. Seeing how mods are bound to one character only, they were never intended to be transferred anyway, legacy gear exploit or not. We're more likely to see the exploit fixed and mailing of gear with bound mods restricted than making this even easier. And I wouldn't even mind, there's no reason why a character wouldn't be able to get their own gear and mods without much trouble, playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

It's Legacy Gear. It was intended to be shared or handed down to your alt or alts. The only mirror I've ever made is of my main character. The only reason I made a mirror, was to be able to share my best gear.

It's Legacy Gear. It was intended to be shared or handed down to your alt or alts. The only mirror I've ever made is of my main character. The only reason I made a mirror, was to be able to share my best gear.

I created a mirror of my main (Z'reign, of Z'nnah) because I like running Sorcs. They share Legacy gears, in two flavors (heal and DPS).

But also, I started out Pub side and then went mainly Imp. Now, I'm running Pub side again (and still Imp too) so rather than have to re-gear my Pubs (who I sent on vacation shortly after Oricon released) I just use Legacy gear to share what my Imps already had. Sage shares with Sorc, Guardian with Jug, Vangaurd with PT, Scoundrel with Operative. It works very well for the Force using classes. For the Aim and Cunning based classes, I have to have unique mainhands and offhands (hooray for Gree offhands). And of course each toon needs their own earpeices, implants, and relics, but that's fine: Artifact Micro-filament gear is not a bad starting point for Ears and 'Plants, and these days a few hours of PvP over the course of two weeks gets the nice Obroan relics.

I look forward to each new release of Legacy gear, mainly to see what new looks I can create with them. It's a more limited selection and a lot more work than just using CM armors, but I enjoy the challenge.

Now, I did unlock Casual Vandal in my collections, and that's what my toons and companions wear when they are not geared for battle. Can't have members of the Dark Council walking around in their underwear, can we? I am not a huge fan of stripping in public to change gears though:

Hey BioWare, a portable changing room would be a nice toy to have.

:)