The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is it better to level up as dps and then switch to tank?

Marauder

Short answer, yes, long answer is that if you have a group or are doing a lot of flashpoints via group finder that is role specific, then no you can stay tank and get pop faster. Normally I use two gears, one for flashpoints at like lvl 45+ where Flashpoints is pretty easy to do and then a DPS gear for normal missions.

In my not-so-humble opinion you should level as the spec you intend to play the most, as leveling in a spec is a great way to learn the in's and out's of it. If you can't decide, wait until level 31 and try out all three specs as by then you have the major workings of all three.

What I personally do is level as a dps, I can que as a tank for FP's by doing AP with ion cell (with a shield of course) soloing the story goes faster that way too. And in warzones with bolster (assuming you keep up with your gear) you end up with ~30000 hp, and 70% passive DR while technically being a dps :cool:

I leveled my PT 100% as a tank. It's a little slower soloing but it's honestly not bad, and you get really fast/insta pops for FPs, which is always great. If you're not liking the soloing, though, you could put in the money for field respec and solo as a DPS, then tank in FPs. This also opens up the option of having a backup set of DPS gear at max level, so you can fill in whatever role is needed. It's always great to hear that someone will (happily) switch specs so you can get that one last person you need to start your op.

But in the end, it's all up to you! Do whatever you feel more comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the low level stuff is so easy to get through that you can simply run full Reflex armoring, have a shield, and queue as tank without issue. The amount of shield/def/abs you get is minimal until you're into the 30s or so. Even at that point I've run with plenty of tanks who do just that and aren't hard to keep up, and they put out a little more damage so they hold threat easily and kill a little faster.

I dps for my story missions, etc, as Mako does well with heals, then usually tank for FPS.