hypercrates and the gtn

duffy

Ok so I have been playing about a month now.

I got all stupid and bought a hypercrate and then opened it.

I got some decent things but nothing special.

Question is this. It seems to me that the one or two good things I got that if I waited until the packs are embargoed the prices will go up.

But since it is armor and a speeder will they go up a lot? or does new packs mean new things and the old goes down?

or is it not really that noticeable?

I know it is server specific but just in general?

tldr: Good stuff from hypercrate. Keep till goes up or sell now?

The prices will go up after the packs are embargoed until they are brought back. Some items that nobody wants and are common won't go up very much, while others can double or triple in value.

Its kind of the same with any collectors item that you buy: it will likely increase somewhat, but you have no clue how much it will increase by.

I don't play the market too much, but economics 101 taught me about supply & demand. Depending how desirable the item is will drive its price relative to the number of that item available. In the context of your question, once the crate it came from is embargoed, the supply becomes finite. The initial rarity of the item will also help determine the value.

Are there always lots of the items you have on the market? Over time, if they don't make any more of them, the price will eventually go up as supply goes down. Exactly how high depends on the desirability of the item.

Edited by tharbison

People buy Hypercrates for two reasons. First, they're just gambling their $40 RL dollars in hopes of getting something they really want and they are willing to pay $40.00+ for the chance. They'll open them all up, then be faced with getting rid of the junk they don't want. That means spending a LOT of time on the GTN posting items hoping they will sell or just dumping the junk as a cost of the gamble.

The other reason people buy hypercrates is for the express purpose of turning the crates themselves into credits. In this case you DON'T open the individual crates up, but sell them whole on the GTN. A little research will tell you how much they are going for, and here you can choose to play the market and hope the crates will go up in price or just sell them. It is not at all unusual to see current crates go for about $250K credits on the GTN. So you can turn your $40.00 RL dollars into about $6 million credits. If you are patient and willing to wait until the crates are no longer sold, maybe you can make some more, or maybe BW will bring them back and the price will crash.

Some people disapprove of this because they feel yiur character ought to "earn" credits in the game by selling drops they don't need, crafting, etc. However, it's possible to do, gives money to BW, and is not much different than a character getting an inheritance from Uncle Bill. If you want to play that way, you can. It doesn't really hurt anyone else.

I got the hypercrate to turn over as a whole. But with them being cheap the market was flooded so they were dropping rapidly.

Since the crates had fallen to average about 175k per in the hypercrate and the packs were going for 300 I busted it open to sell them seperately. Then they wanted me to wait another 36 hours. So i rationalized opening the packs. Then was like damn. never again!

I am more in search of credits to buy outfits and mounts and pets and all the vanity stuff.

I am more in search of credits to buy outfits and mounts and pets and all the vanity stuff.

If you are looking for a fast million or two, the options are limited:

Pay real money for in game credits.

1. buy a hypercrate of packs off the Cartel Market using Cartel Coins (AKA real money)
  2. wait the 36 hour bound timer.
  3. post the hypercrate on the GTN.

Hypercrates generally sell for several million credits each

the alternative is to run all your level 55 characters through all the daily areas. Running one character through all the daily areas should generate about 500k (from quest rewards and random drops).

The former is less actual play time, but as MShuyler points out some players do not like the idea (I personally don't care). The latter is more play time and could result in burnout.

Edited by psandak

I generally open Hypercrates on alternate characters and let the stuff sit for a month or two. I have color crystals that were going for 40~60k at time of opening, selling for 200~300k about a month and a half after the fact.

It can be very disheartening to see the items you paid for, selling for so low. Have faith, and hold onto them.

It might be worth it to start an alt, and mail the stuff to them so you aren't tempted to low-ball the price in lieu of inventory space (as I so often did/do)

To keep or to sell, it is a gamble in itself. Nothing is stopping BW from re releasing older packs, making items you may have squirreled away for months drop hard again in price. It has to really be your call. I am sure everyone who bought a Rancor mount last month for 3-5 million are laughing now. Even when they were complaining about paying that much, sure does beat the 15-20 million they seem to be going for now.... :eek:

If it is something not many others seem to be selling, I tend to wait till they drive each other down to low prices, buy them both out, then hike the price on the item by 2-3X. Tends to make a good profit. Doesn't work well on items that are easily flooded though :p

Edited by Hoshkar

To keep or to sell, it is a gamble in itself. Nothing is stopping BW from re releasing older packs, making items you may have squirreled away for months drop hard again in price. It has to really be your call. I am sure everyone who bought a Rancor mount last month for 3-5 million are laughing now. Even when they were complaining about paying that much, sure does beat the 15-20 million they seem to be going for now.... :eek:

Heh, good that I really don't like rancors(but I probably should've bought one for 5.5 and sold it for 12, yeah - I just thought it was too much of a gamble, with kingpin/pvp rancors running wild). I do recommend to stock on the banthas, though - I bought mine for 5mil, but when the packs are embargoed, I bet it could go as high as 15 unless they release a reskin.

To the OP: if you really badly want an item from the current packs(Starfighter or Vertica) - buy them now, before they're embargoed. Some items from the older packs can't be found on the market(Revan's stuff, or whatever), so your chance could be gone forever after the pack is gone.