The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kaggath Battlegrounds Heats - Empire of Plagues vs Imperial Droid Division

Beniboybling

This theory, of using lasers to destroy meteors (which is essentially what the AiR is shooting) has draw-backs. In shooting a meteor with a laser, it doesn't destroy it. It causes it to break into smaller pieces. The issue here is that shooting one of these meteors with a laser would simply increase the amount of damage they do, as they would split into many meteors and strike multiple parts of the ship. This won't degrade their effectiveness either, because they bypass shields and literally melt through hulls.
But its also spreading it over a wider surface area, and so dispersing the damage, but a fair point nonetheless.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This theory, of using lasers to destroy meteors (which is essentially what the AiR is shooting) has draw-backs. In shooting a meteor with a laser, it doesn't destroy it. It causes it to break into smaller pieces. The issue here is that shooting one of these meteors with a laser would simply increase the amount of damage they do, as they would split into many meteors and strike multiple parts of the ship. This won't degrade their effectiveness either, because they bypass shields and literally melt through hulls.

Those smaller pieces aren't enough to do anything, some would likely miss etc. It'd decrease the damage done by quite a bit.

Have we ever had that kind of range be seen?

Just curious, never seen the Hive Mind go that far.

Yes...?

The Dark Nest was constantly connected across star systems. It's a telepathic link, and Lomi Plo is the Queen. Killiks are constantly connected to their hive mind.

Just... going to leave this here...

"The Yaret-Kor's plasma projectiles were powerful enough to melt through the hull of a New Republic starfighter, and collisions could easily knock fighters off their flight paths or stun enemy pilots. These weapons were difficult to counter, even with the advantage of deflector shields; the best counter was point defense. Since Yaret-Kor cannons were grown into Yorik-et vessels, it was often difficult to distinguish between ship and cannon, with no easy way to determine the size of the weapon."

Another little thing I did not know about Yoret-Kor...

"the plasma cannons fitted to yorik-et coralskippers also served as a means of propulsion, in conjunction with the vessel's dovin basal. The opposing force created when the Yaret-Kor fired actually propelled the starfighter through space. "

Quite interesting weapons. Though, during the Vong war books, I specifically recall the molten rocks NOT bypassing shields. In some of the books I even recall them describing how the rock would impact, and burn against the shields before burning the hull...

snip.

At least a thousand fighters are required or the LoT gets swarmed to death, then a few hundred for the heavy capital ships.. so then Trench concentrates on destroying the enemy light caps with swarm tactics, all of a sudden Lomi has lost the fingers and toes of her fleet, both sides probably took huge fighter losses but this is largely irrelevant as now the I.D.D's Light Caps group on the enemy heavies and then the LoT is being focused by all the I.D.D's heavies and the flagship, G.G.

Trench can do this from the safety of the Military Base on Taris and this is where production needs to be discussed.

One thing we haven't discussed, captains going down with their ships? What is the likelihood if Lomi or Trench perishing in this battle if they were to lose? Or the possibility they may die in the course of victory?

Trench die? Who would even think such a thing? He's a survivor, a master at the art of staying alive if all else fails.

Even with the hive mind, if the EoP wants the battle to go as smoothly as all possible Lomi will have to be on the LoT, and she will have to be plugged into it as well. A hive mind is all well and good, but without the leader being in a position to lead, in the best way possible, they will be highly less effective. Unfortunately this means that if the LoT goes so does she, unless she leaves way before trouble starts, and then the battle will be over much quicker and with a much stronger IDD victory.

Just... going to leave this here...

"The Yaret-Kor's plasma projectiles were powerful enough to melt through the hull of a New Republic starfighter, and collisions could easily knock fighters off their flight paths or stun enemy pilots. These weapons were difficult to counter, even with the advantage of deflector shields; the best counter was point defense. Since Yaret-Kor cannons were grown into Yorik-et vessels, it was often difficult to distinguish between ship and cannon, with no easy way to determine the size of the weapon."

Another little thing I did not know about Yoret-Kor...

"the plasma cannons fitted to yorik-et coralskippers also served as a means of propulsion, in conjunction with the vessel's dovin basal. The opposing force created when the Yaret-Kor fired actually propelled the starfighter through space. "

Quite interesting weapons. Though, during the Vong war books, I specifically recall the molten rocks NOT bypassing shields. In some of the books I even recall them describing how the rock would impact, and burn against the shields before burning the hull...

Stands to reason that the Allegiance being an advanced warship would have particle shields, and therefore be protected from the Yaret-Kors and more capable of engaging the fleets head on.

However to my knowledge physical projectiles should go straight through ray shields. Really shields are such a dodgy business in Star Wars that sources sometimes can be inaccurate. I don't fully understand them myself.

Those smaller pieces aren't enough to do anything, some would likely miss etc. It'd decrease the damage done by quite a bit.

Not necessarily. The reason this theory works in real life is because if a meteor is broken up in space and then enters Earth's atmosphere, the friction of the atmosphere would burn up the smaller bits to a larger extent than it would if the meteor was its original size.

However, in space there is no friction to slow down or otherwise inhibit the meteor from doing exactly what it was going to do: hit the ship with tons of force and turn the hull to slag. The smaller pieces have the same potential (combined) to do damage as the original projectile because they do not slow down nor lose any of their destructive qualities; they simply hit in more places.

Edited by Warren-Stride

Just curious, didn't all ships have Energy shields and Particle shields?

It's just they usually used energy shields.... None of the EoP forces are actually using Ion/Energy weapons, why not just turn on the Deflector Shields?

At least a thousand fighters are required or the LoT gets swarmed to death, then a few hundred for the heavy capital ships.. so then Trench concentrates on destroying the enemy light caps with swarm tactics, all of a sudden Lomi has lost the fingers and toes of her fleet, both sides probably took huge fighter losses but this is largely irrelevant as now the I.D.D's Light Caps group on the enemy heavies and then the LoT is being focused by all the I.D.D's heavies and the flagship, G.G.

Trench can do this from the safety of the Military Base on Taris and this is where production needs to be discussed.

The light caps would be protected by the heavy caps, so they'd have to pass through the entire fleet first.

Really don't think Trench can effectively command his fleet against such a force on the ground.

Not necessarily. The reason this theory works in real life is because if a meteor is broken up in space and then enters Earth's atmosphere, the friction of the atmosphere would burn up the smaller bits to a larger extent than it would if the meteor was its original size.

However, in space there is no friction to slow down or otherwise inhibit the meteor from doing exactly what it was going to do: hit the ship with tons of force and turn the hull to slag. The smaller pieces have the same potential (combined) to do damage as the original projectile because they do not slow down nor lose any of their destructive qualities; they simply hit in more places.

But as I said the surface area is increased so the damage diminished. The same amount of damage is done but spread across different parts of the hull. So instead of burrowing straight through it makes multiple dents/smaller fissures.

Surely?

Just curious, didn't all ships have Energy shields and Particle shields?

It's just they usually used energy shields.... None of the EoP forces are actually using Ion/Energy weapons, why not just turn on the Deflector Shields?

Considering how many times its been said "we'll never navigate that asteroid field" etc. etc. combined with the effectiveness of mass drivers, missiles and proton torpedoes I really don't think so.

Considering how many times its been said "we'll never navigate that asteroid field" etc. etc. combined with the effectiveness of mass drivers, missiles and proton torpedoes I really don't think so.

Would you willingly wade into a storm of turbolasers even though your shielding is designed to withstand it? :rolleyes: They were used, just not as much as the other type...

The asteroid field stuff is always said by smaller vessels, large vessels like a Star Destroyer were never damaged profusely by Asteroids, they just ruined sensors.

And that's the entire point of Mass Drivers, you could defend against them with a Particle shield but not an energy shield. If a ship was filled only with Mass Drivers, then they'd just turn on Particle shields, it's why the mix of Mass Drivers and turbolasers were so effective.

Would you willingly wade into a storm of turbolasers even though your shielding is designed to withstand it? :rolleyes: They were used, just not as much as the other type...
True... I suppose. It might be a case of levels of particle shields, so a few shots from a proton torpedo or a missile would drop the shields in that place for a moment and allow damage.

I'd also imagine that is is harder to defect a physical projectile that a energy projectile. Energy can be dissipated, physical projectiles cannot. Though alternatively it may be a case of the deflector shield dissipating the heat energy.

Also don't roll you eyes at me boy!

EDIT: Or it may be as Sel suggested, that they have to turn one off to get the other on. If I recall Trench's particle shields needed time to recycle and involved shutting down other systems...

Edited by Beniboybling

True... I suppose. It might be a case of levels of particle shields, so a few shots from a proton torpedo or a missile would drop the shields in that place for a moment and allow damage.

I'd also imagine that is is harder to defect a physical projectile that a energy projectile. Energy can be dissipated, physical projectiles cannot. Though alternatively it may be a case of the deflector shield dissipating the heat energy.

EDIT: Or it may be as Sel suggested, that they have to turn one off to get the other on.

I think the Edit is likely true. Who builds a warship that can only defend against half of the attacks. Oh, and challenge accepted...

:d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes: :d_rolls_eyes::D_rolls_eyes:

Edited by Silenceo

I think the Edit is likely true. Who builds a warship that can only defend against half of the attacks. Oh, and challenge accepted...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure we'd all love to have invincible shields, but these things take up power.

Also Trench's ray shields seemed to be super special.

And I hope your eyes explode!

Edited by Beniboybling

Just to note, regular Star Destroyers had such powerful shielding, that they could block nearly any attack thrown.

A Star Destroyer carries two large KDY ISD-72 shield generator domes, which create a protective screen capable of blocking nearly any attack. The ISD-72x domes require a large amount of energy, drawn directly from the Star Destroyer's main reactor.

- Taken from the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels

Also particle shields are always active.

Particle shields are usually kept powered at all times to protect against micrometeors and other small projectiles.

-Taken from New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels

Also particle shields actually increase the hull integrity.

Particle shielding also greatly enhances a ship's hull integrity by using energy charges to strengthen the molecular bonds of hull plating

-Taken from same book.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

EDIT: Or it may be as Sel suggested, that they have to turn one off to get the other on. If I recall Trench's particle shields needed time to recycle and involved shutting down other systems...

You had to turn off Particle shields to shoot projectiles or release starfighters, yes, but seeing as the Vong only really use projectiles, it'd be an amazing advantage.

I'm sure we'd all love to have invincible shields, but these things take up power.

Also Trench's ray shields seemed to be super special.

And I hope your eyes explode!

:d_wink:

I was referring to the need to switch shields instead of having them on all the time like Sel mentioned.

:d_rolls_eyes:

Side Note: Droid eye rolls is awesome.

Edited by Silenceo

Just to note, regular Star Destroyers had such powerful shielding, that they could block nearly any attack thrown.

Also particle shields are always active.

Also particle shields actually increase the hull integrity.

All right, this is starting to make a lot more sense. Particle shields seem very different from deflector shields. Deflector shields seem to dissipate energy complety whereas particle shields seem like some sort of reinforcement, like some sort ablative coating. But like armor it can be punched through and can't deflect attacks completely like a ray shield.

Thanks very much for this.

The asteroid field stuff is always said by smaller vessels, large vessels like a Star Destroyer were never damaged profusely by Asteroids, they just ruined sensors.

Except for the time, that one asteroid smashed directly into the bridge of a Star Destroyer in ESB.

Except for the time, that one asteroid smashed directly into the bridge of a Star Destroyer in ESB.

Everyone knows that Astroid was a main character with plot armor, and he had just escaped from that space worm, he was striking out on his own and had a issue with the Empire. So, he kamikaized!

Edited by Silenceo