Specialty Builds, you got any?

havokhead

I find it mildly amusing that a build meant for farming powerups is challenged, but the double missile/torpedo builds (or anyone running an EMP Missile build) aren't. :p

Yes yes, it is not gonna for the build, but that he has given the wonderful Blackbolt a build that also fits the measly Sting. :D

Edited by Magira

Disto.. tanky??

This line bothered me most of today.

Distortion is highly tanky. It is the best defense in the game.

You will survive more, in absolute hits, effect of hits (many shots debuff you), total time, any metric, with disto than without, because of the 2 button feature.

SPECIFICALLY with the build listed, the scout MUST hold a constant bead- it's the only way to land pods and lasers hits reliably. During this brief window, you need to tank enemy railguns and missiles. Distortion is the tankiest- by far- and does this correctly.

Edited by Verain

Note that I'm not disparaging Shield-to-Engine, merely stating why the pacman scout doesn't use it. The name is specialty builds, and Drako has picked some odd builds that he's done extraordinarily well with and such.

Also note that the other reason, mostly forgotten, for Drako picking this build on the novadive instead of the flashfire, is the extra accuracy of lasers versus quads. Back when the DO was ludicrous damage, the big thing was actually landing the shots, and lasers help with that (the actual dps of the quads and lasers both was "enemy dies"). Even today that's still mostly true, but this build did get worse with the massive DO nerf.

Again, I agree with you Drakolich on the Legion/Mangler combo being very effective. I personally levelled fortress shield on my Quarrel right after GSF released because I thought 1) the name sounded cool 2) such a shield would enable a quarrel to be more like long-range artillery (which I kinda liked the concept) 3) it makes you instantly stop so I thought it would act much like a brake and pesky scouts would just overfly me 4) the added power to rail guns would be invaluable.

Unfortunately, the limitations of fortress shield outweighed the benefits until the last patch when it was buffed up to what it should've been in the first place. I was excited when it was buffed and began using it once more, sadly, when running pug matches with no support fortress shield just didn't cut it when you really need that extra missile break and mobility of barrel roll. So, again, I removed fortress shield & rotational thrusters from my quarrel.

I thought to myself that the only way this build would be viable would be if you applied it in organized team play where you know you'd have lots of support in the form of bomber "nests" or even a clarion/imperium running interference and heals. Your gunship could settle into the nest and apply it's various buffs blasting away in the comfort of knowing someone had your back.

Maybe not quite a specialty build, but a fun one I like using for the Condor.

Primary: BLC's

Secondary: Cluster Missiles

Secondary: Interdiction Missile

Shields: Distortion Field

Engines: Retro Thrusters

Damage Capacitor

Munitions Capacity Extender

Turbo Reactor (Should probably swap this with Large Reactor)

Turning Thrusters

Just another dogfighting build :)