The 2nd expansion (3.0) is coming this year

ninjonxb

Figured I should probably actually reply to your points

I would wager that there is a very good chance that 3.0 will be similar to GSH. So Subscribers get access with 3.0 f2p/preferred get access at a later date.

So if (big if) 3.0 were to launch on October 14th, no one would be getting 2 expansions at once(unless they sub on that day).

I do doubt that 3.0 will come on October 14th.

I am betting either on a minor 2.9.X patch or 2.10.

An full expansion could increase the time between major patches.

But then again we do know that the new storyline (I can never remember the name) is ending this year.

We don't know if the expansion is related to that storyline or not. If it isn't then we may actually get a 2.10 to end it.

Hmmm, I hope bioware won't pull off to many of those split patches. I fear you might be correct about the big if. In any case. 2.9 should bring some more content about the new story line i think. With the new conquer missions I guess I'll keep myself busy enough till 3.0 comes. At least gives the 2nd grade progression guilds time to progress naturally through DF/DP NiM.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I hope bioware won't pull off to many of those split patches. I fear you might be correct about the big if. In any case. 2.9 should bring some more content about the new story line i think. With the new conquer missions I guess I'll keep myself busy enough till 3.0 comes. At least gives the 2nd grade progression guilds time to progress naturally through DF/DP NiM.

They already confirmed it will.

2.9 is bringing part 2 of the new storyline.

We know the storyline has 3 parts. The big question (which would explain why they are so hush on the expansion) is wether or not the expansion is the third part or if the third part will land before it.

What do you mean split patches?

Where subscribers get access first and then f2p/preferred?

With split patches I mean like they did with GSF.

Patch 2.5 - GSF early access - 10-12-2013 (69 days after 2.4)

GSF - Lost Shipyards (map)

GSF - Kuat Mesa (map)

GSF - Scout

GSF - Strike Fighter

GSF - Gunship

Patch 2.6 - GSF official launch - 10-2-2014 (62 days after 2.5)

Kuat Drive Yards

GSF - Bomber

GSF - Deathmatch mode

Effectively patch 2.6 was a small patch with only KDY as major higlight. I'm not saying KDY is nothing but looking back to other patches it fals for me in the category 'smaller' patches along side with:

1.3 - ranked warzone

1.6 - new pvp map

1.7 - new event, introduction of reputation

2.8 - 1 upgraded ops, new event

Middle patches:

1.4 - 1 new ops

1.5 - 1 upgraded ops (NiM), new daily area

2.1+2.2 - 1 upgraded ops, new playable species, introduction of Dyes, appearance changer and collection system

Large patches:

1.1 - 1 new ops, 1 flashpoint

1.2 - 1 new ops, 1 flashpoint, new PvP map, new daily area

2.0 - 1 new ops, 4 upgraded flashpoints, new daily area and missions, introduction of Macrobinoculars, Seekerdroids and Achievement system

2.3 - 2 flashpoints, new daily area, new companion, new event

2.4 - 2 new opses, new daily area, introduction of arenas

2.5 - GSF

I define a large patch as either a patch with major implications like GSF or when there are at least 2 new operations/flashpoints

The stronghold expansion was supposed to be 2.8. Were flagships and legacy storage EVER listed as being a part of 2.8? No

/thread

Sorry your straight up wrong here. Wow people here have very short term memory. Guild flagships were always part of the expansion. So were legacy banks only early access to housing was set for 2.8 but they did say the GsH expansion was going to be FULLY Launched in 2.9 with the flagships. The only thing that changed was the Subs early access but the full launch was always 2.9

Edited by MisterBlackJack

With split patches I mean like they did with GSF.

Patch 2.5 - GSF early access - 10-12-2013 (69 days after 2.4)

GSF - Lost Shipyards (map)

GSF - Kuat Mesa (map)

GSF - Scout

GSF - Strike Fighter

GSF - Gunship

Patch 2.6 - GSF official launch - 10-2-2014 (62 days after 2.5)

Kuat Drive Yards

GSF - Bomber

GSF - Deathmatch mode

Effectively patch 2.6 was a small patch with only KDY as major higlight. I'm not saying KDY is nothing but looking back to other patches it fals for me in the category 'smaller' patches along side with:

1.3 - ranked warzone

1.6 - new pvp map

1.7 - new event, introduction of reputation

2.8 - 1 upgraded ops, new event

Middle patches:

1.4 - 1 new ops

1.5 - 1 upgraded ops (NiM), new daily area

2.1+2.2 - 1 upgraded ops, new playable species, introduction of Dyes, appearance changer and collection system

Large patches:

1.1 - 1 new ops, 1 flashpoint

1.2 - 1 new ops, 1 flashpoint, new PvP map, new daily area

2.0 - 1 new ops, 4 upgraded flashpoints, new daily area and missions, introduction of Macrobinoculars, Seekerdroids and Achievement system

2.3 - 2 flashpoints, new daily area, new companion, new event

2.4 - 2 new opses, new daily area, introduction of arenas

2.5 - GSF

I define a large patch as either a patch with major implications like GSF or when there are at least 2 new operations/flashpoints

Ah I see.

Honestly I am a bit torn on it.

In some ways I like that Subscribers can get access to a certain feature before it is fully ready (Like GSF and, originally, GSH).

It is normal course that when an MMO is working on an expansion they would deviate from their normal release schedule to focus on the expansion.

But then again this community would ***** if they had announced that 2.8 (or at least what was 2.8) was not going to happen at all and instead we would get 2.8 in august with the full launch of GSH...

As much as people may not like it, I would rather get smaller patches more often then get 1 big expansion after a year of nothing *cough*WoW*cough*

I'm happy you were right. It's certainly better than the alternative. Your delivery still needs work.

I wasn't able to hold my breath for OVER 5 months before we got our second vague whisper of confirmation. At least when David Blaine needs a stand in, I know who he should call first.

Cool, good to see them still saying it's coming out "this year".

Also, I'm not above saying "told ya so" so to those saying BW doesn't label patches as "2.10":

Game Update 2.10 is close! – We have bumped any class changes we were considering for 2.9 into Game Update 2.10.

For once, I'm glad I was wrong quite honestly. Doesn't change a lot of the stuff that went through this year but it is definitely something to say the least. :D

Cool, good to see them still saying it's coming out "this year".

Also, I'm not above saying "told ya so" so to those saying BW doesn't label patches as "2.10":

Cool. Have a cookie. ;)

First stage: Denial.

No kidding. The new "Story of 2014" post indicates that new FPs will be released LEADING UP TO THE EXPANSION. That means the expansion will not be released at the same time as the third set of FP's. Stage 2 FP's released in 2.9, so surely that means Stage 3 FPs released in 3.0. Which means no expansion in 3.0. Which means no expansion in 2014.

No kidding. The new "Story of 2014" post indicates that new FPs will be released LEADING UP TO THE EXPANSION. That means the expansion will not be released at the same time as the third set of FP's. Stage 2 FP's released in 2.9, so surely that means Stage 3 FPs released in 3.0. Which means no expansion in 3.0. Which means no expansion in 2014.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7556731#edit7556731

In case your mouse is busted and you can't click the link and read it properly:

Hey everyone,

As of now you will have seen our initial patch notes for Game Update 2.9 and noticed something missing, class changes. There are a few reasons that there are no class changes in 2.9, I wanted to explain their reasoning and tell you when you can expect them.

Game Update 2.9 – Is a large Digital Expansion that brings loads of new features to mess around with. With so much going on in the update we knew we would get very little testing on any class changes on PTS. As such, we felt it would be risky to make any class adjustments in 2.9.

Game Update 2.10 is close! – We have bumped any class changes we were considering for 2.9 into Game Update 2.10. The reason is that 2.10 is only a few weeks later (currently slated for September 9th) and allows to give some “breathing room” around 2.9’s large update. While I am setting expectations, I want you to know that the class changes in 2.10, although there are quite a few, they are not extremely robust either. There is a good reason for that though…

Expansion! – As you might expect, I can’t go into details yet. However it is safe to say that when our “Rise-like expansion” comes later this year, you can expect quite a lot of class changes

Thanks everyone. I know there aren’t class changes, but go on PTS anyway and decorate your Stronghold!

-eric

Enjoy!

Edited by Infernixx

We were wrong, mate. Be glad for it. :cool:

2.10 is coming pretty early. Wonder if there'll be a longer than normal gap between 2.10 and 3.0, or we'll see 3.0 sometime in November. I was figuring 3.0 would be launching on Dec 20th.

My guess would be December. Looks like 2.10 mainly consists of class changes that were hold back in favor of GSH and the other gimmicks in 2.9. That's probably the reason why 2.10 is coming earlier than usual.

3.0 (and the expansion) will likely see big changes, which will need more time indeed. Of course it's possible that Bioware already took some time and they'll be done by November. But my gut says December with a pre-christmas release and a pre-order early access scheduled for mid-december.

2.10 is coming pretty early. Wonder if there'll be a longer than normal gap between 2.10 and 3.0, or we'll see 3.0 sometime in November. I was figuring 3.0 would be launching on Dec 20th.

I'd say 3.0 will still be mid-late December.

I'm curious about the quick turnaround to 2.10 though. Is 2.9 (Aug. 19th) going to be strictly Strongholds and Conquest, and then 2.10 (tentatively Sept. 9th) is going to be the Manaan FP? I might have missed it if they confirmed that.

Seems like it would track - in the past when they did a 4-week cycle (like with 2.1 and 2.2) that update has been proportionately lighter, so a single FP with a continuation of the Forged Alliances story sounds about right.

I'm curious about the quick turnaround to 2.10 though. Is 2.9 (Aug. 19th) going to be strictly Strongholds and Conquest, and then 2.10 (tentatively Sept. 9th) is going to be the Manaan FP? I might have missed it if they confirmed that.

Seems like it would track - in the past when they did a 4-week cycle (like with 2.1 and 2.2) that update has been proportionately lighter, so a single FP with a continuation of the Forged Alliances story sounds about right.

They already confirmed that the Manaan flashpoint will be available on the PTS later today. Plus, they had already confirmed months(!!!) ago that Part II for Forged Alliances would be released alongside 2.9.

Manaan is it.

Apparently, there will be another one, most likely in...

Rakata Prime. Lehon. The Temple of the Ancients.

One can only hope.

I'm curious about the quick turnaround to 2.10 though. Is 2.9 (Aug. 19th) going to be strictly Strongholds and Conquest, and then 2.10 (tentatively Sept. 9th) is going to be the Manaan FP? I might have missed it if they confirmed that. .

A guess, but I imagine 2.10 will be purely class balance and bug fixes. 3 weeks is way too fast for BioWare to churn out content.

A guess, but I imagine 2.10 will be purely class balance and bug fixes. 3 weeks is way too fast for BioWare to churn out content.

Thing is, class balance and bug fixes would usually just make it 2.9.2,. Labeling it 2.10 usually means some new piece of content.

It's certainly possible, but I hope not. 2.8 was already a light-on-content patch. I've got a lot of good will towards BW right now for how Strongholds is looking overall, but if 2.10's only content is tweaks and fixes that'd be pretty weak.

Edited by DarthDymond

They already confirmed that the Manaan flashpoint will be available on the PTS later today. Plus, they had already confirmed months(!!!) ago that Part II for Forged Alliances would be released alongside 2.9.

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't see that the PTS notes specifically labeled it as 2.9 as well. (I thought with the short turnaround between they might have been effectively PTSing both 2.9 and 2.10 together, which was why Manaan is on there.)

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't see that the PTS notes specifically labeled it as 2.9 as well. (I thought with the short turnaround between they might have been effectively PTSing both 2.9 and 2.10 together, which was why Manaan is on there.)

Here...

New Flashpoint: Depths of Manaan! Continue the Forged Alliances storyline with a new Level 55 Tactical Flashpoint set on the water-covered planet of Manaan.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=753413

It appears to be ONLY one flashpoint this time though, not a pair of them like last time.

Here...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=753413

It appears to be ONLY one flashpoint this time though, not a pair of them like last time.

Yeah, being only one FP was a big part of why I thought it might be 2.10, since short turnaround has meant relatively lighter content amount in the past (ie. 2.1 and 2.2) so to me it seemed like one FP instead of two would track with a 4-week update cycle.

Makes sense though, since they probably had it lined up for 2.9 all along, even when it was going to be the General Release of Strongholds instead of Early Access (the same as they had KDY as part of the General Release of Galactic Starfighter).

Edited by DarthDymond