The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Possible new base game years in the future?

DinkusKhan

I may be the first to ever think of this, but is there a chance that EA and BioWare will come out with a new MMORPG sequel to SWTOR such as Star Wars The New Republic. It's just a thought and I was thinking maybe it would be similar with what Blizzard did with warcraft 3 to WoW. It would have to do with the new republic that Luke and Leia created and possibly some other Dark faction to be playable? There will probably be way more Ideas shot out once the new movie comes out. It's just a thought and I wanted to see what all of your thoughts were on it :cool:

The term "Old Republic" is used from before the time of this game until after the Rebel Alliance founds "The New Republic." BioWare would continue working within their* timeline. Putting a game in that time period is just begging to be overwritten by movies lore-wise, like the books post-movies.

*All of BioWare's Star Wars games occur around the same time period. SW:TOR is set in 3636 BBY and onward, and KOTOR was set approximately 300 years before SW:TOR. The nearest canon lore is in the 1000 BBY area, so BioWare would continue with this if they want their lore to be as safe as possible (from being overwritten by movies).

Edited by Pingonaut

The beauty of the old republic is the freedom they have to create content that doesn't come into conflict with the 'modern' lore. That, and the New republic is problematic in terms of game options. There could be no playable sith, since there are only 2, for example. The old republic is much more open in terms of plot/character possibilities as there's about a thousand years that has barely been touched.