The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Was Vader Truly Powerful?

Elfa

General Grievous, Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Asajj Ventress the list goes on... yeah nobody significant at all. :rolleyes:

Ventress ain't a sith.

Grievous ain't a force user.

Savage Opress is basically a joke.( although i can't recall them fighting at this moment,not sure what you are refering to)

(yes, mooks)

And Darth Maul beat him combat wise.He got cut in half for reasons having little to do with Obi-Wan being better.Simillar situation happened with Anakin.

Edited by Kaedusz

Ventress ain't a sith.

Grievous ain't a force user.

Savage Opress is basically a joke.( although i can't recall them fighting at this moment,not sure what you are refering to)

(yes, mooks)

And Darth Maul beat him combat wise.He got cut in half for reasons having little to do with Obi-Wan being better.Simillar situation happened with Anakin.

Ventress, Grievous, Opress and Maul were the major Jedi killers during the Clone Wars and collectively killed scores and scores of Jedi, your failure to acknowledge their abilities only speaks of your own ignorance I'm afraid.

P.S. Kenobi dueled Maul and Savage on Florrum, forcing both of them into retreat.

From what I can tell the injuries Anakin suffered on Mustafar meant he never reached near what his full potential could have been. The same thing happens to Master Kiwiiks when her injuries cause her to lose much of her power.

It also seems that like Darth Sion the constant pain and reliance on rage to maintain the dark side keeping him alive meant he had to always think about that and not about "living in the moment" which probably affected his attachment to the force.

Ventress, Grievous, Opress and Maul were the major Jedi killers during the Clone Wars and collectively killed scores and scores of

random jedi.

Who the hell didn't?That mandalorian bandit on Dantoine in Kotor 1 also collected lightsabers same as Grevious.woopty-***********-doo

this guy http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121228102407/starwars/images/c/cd/Battle_Droid.png

also killed scores of jedi.

Also i vaguely remember Maul defeating Kenobi 1v1,before Ventress saved him or something.

Joke aside, it's kinda impossible to not aknowledge their abilites since i have watched all Clone Wars episodes.Was not impressed,when taking all of the SW EU into consideration.

Edited by Kaedusz

random jedi.

Who the hell didn't?That mandalorian bandit on Dantoine in Kotor 1 also collected lightsabers same as Grevious.woopty-***********-doo

this guy http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121228102407/starwars/images/c/cd/Battle_Droid.png

also killed scores of jedi.

Also i vaguely remember Maul defeating Kenobi 1v1,before Ventress saved him or something.

Joke aside, it's kinda impossible to not aknowledge their abilites since i have watched all Clone Wars episodes.Was not impressed,when taking all of the SW EU into consideration.

All mooks compared to even the lowliest of TOR era Sith. :rolleyes:

So you're admitting clearly that it was purely your interpretation.

No I'm saying that it's clear what the author was trying to tell. It's not really my interpretation, Vader was fully willing to kill Luke. If Vader was holding back, he wouldn't be willing to kill Luke at all. Yet it's shown....he was fully willing to do so.

'You are unwise to lower your defenses,' Vader warned. His anger was layered, now - he did not want to win if the boy was not battling to the fullest. But if winning meant he had to kill a boy who wouldn't fight... then he could do that, too.

Source: Return of the Jedi

Heck even in the movie he was willing to do so.

"If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!"

/throws his saber to try and kill Luke.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The word Could implies it is not happening yet though.

To me, that passage explicitly says he's not trying his hardest.

Except he's trying to kill Luke....why wouldn't he try his hardest in doing that? He has no qualms about killing his son, he wasn't held back by his morals or what have you.

But fine, don't wanna spend the reminding little time I have arguing this.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Let's review, numerous characters talk about how much of a bad *** Anikin was He got beat by Obi-won and a half trained Luke. Seems like he wasn't that powerful after all.

Anakin was blinded by rage when he fought Obi-Wan (choking of your wife that you think betrayed you can do that....)

And for the Luke fights, I'll quote Luke himself. "You didn't kill me before and I don't believe you'll destroy me now."

AND "I feel the good in you, the conflict."

So there was internalization that caused problems for both those fights. I've been over this topic before, hope this helps :D

No I'm saying that it's clear what the author was trying to tell. It's not really my interpretation, Vader was fully willing to kill Luke. If Vader was holding back, he wouldn't be willing to kill Luke at all. Yet it's shown....he was fully willing to do so.

Heck even in the movie he was willing to do so.

"If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!"

/throws his saber to try and kill Luke.

Sorry, Vader's objective was to turn Luke to the Darkside by what ever means. Even his reference to turning Lukes sister to the Dark Side was voiced with the intention of drawing Luke out and to the dark side. That at the end he sacrificed himself to save Luke gives an indication as to his state of mind, he never truly wanted to kill him.

Edited by Gwynn_Ap_Nudd

I have read before that George Lucas (the maker himself) stated Anakin was the potentially most powerful force user ever, but never lived up to his full potential because he became more machine than man. Luke capitalized on his potential, where Anakin fell short.

EDIT: I just found this - Lucas called Anakin the Chosen One, who "Would, had he reached the potential, have been twice as powerful as Lord Sidious. Fathered by the force Anakin was the most powerful Jedi/Sith to ever live, his greatest weakness had always been his emotions to which Palpatine took advantage of." Source: Disc 2 Star Wars Ep 3 Special Edition

I know some will discredit this because it only looks at the films, but the films will always have a higher level of credibility than any EU.