how hard is tanking? (coming from warcraft)

duffy

Threat generation is indeed much harder in TOR than in WoW. Blizzard has made threat almost a non-issue, except possibly for other tanks.

Gathering up all the mobs etc. has also been much harder in TOR than in current WoW, as TOR actually still has a role for CC in groups where in WoW everyone just runs in and starts blasting everything. That also happens in TOR when you're overgeared, I know, but still.

I haven't really experienced the same sort of active mitigation that is present while playing Death Knights or Monks in WoW though. Granted, I only have a low level shadow tank, but from the looks of it it's less deep than what you see in WoW. For Vanguards and Guardians it's really more about keeping your taunts spammed (those increase all your threat by 20% here) and getting the right cooldowns pressed when certain phases start, next to positioning ofc.

Threat generation is indeed much harder in TOR than in WoW. Blizzard has made threat almost a non-issue, except possibly for other tanks.

Gathering up all the mobs etc. has also been much harder in TOR than in current WoW, as TOR actually still has a role for CC in groups where in WoW everyone just runs in and starts blasting everything. That also happens in TOR when you're overgeared, I know, but still.

I haven't really experienced the same sort of active mitigation that is present while playing Death Knights or Monks in WoW though. Granted, I only have a low level shadow tank, but from the looks of it it's less deep than what you see in WoW. For Vanguards and Guardians it's really more about keeping your taunts spammed (those increase all your threat by 20% here) and getting the right cooldowns pressed when certain phases start, next to positioning ofc.

If I remember correctly, in a more recent expansion for WoW they got rid of all the tank stats (well not really, but they are inferior now) and just made mitigation come through rotation. Though as you get to a higher level with your shadow it will have a more active mitigation system than the other 2 tanks (Force Breach at level 14, Kinetic Ward at level 20, Harnessed Shadows at level 36, Slow Time at level 45) in exchange for being squishier at the start.

Edited by TACeMossie

it might be easy, but its definitely more challenging than tanking as it currently exists in WoW. you know, in comparison.

I wouldn't know as I've never played that kindergarten festival of ugly color palettes and low skill requirement called WoW.

• 2 weeks later...