Slicing...all you need to know why it will be nerfed.

KetMalice

It already has. If you had Slicing day one and compare it to now it has been extremely nerfed. 400 Slicing yields no profit what so ever. Abundant/Bountiful/Rich never even show up. You can lose mad credits in Slicing now. Treasure Hunting may be the way to go now.

What does Treasure Hunting get to make it profitable, if I may ask?

And I guess I know why people are so outraged about slicing... they don't know the "cost of living" at the higher levels. Training an ability from the class skill trainer nets you about 28.000 credits at level 44. Buying stuff from vendors is 33.000 credits. And it gets much, much worse during the last few levels, I saw prices as high as 75.000 credits from the item vendors on the last planets.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP doesn't know Jack about slicing. He's just talking out his arse. As the levels get higher the chance for failure goes up, wAAAAY up. In the last 2 hours of play time tonight I had 3 failures out of 7 missions. And none of the missions returned anywhere near the 100% profit that OP was talking about.

Slicing is not overpowered, it's almost a wash. All of my guildies have more credits than me and I haven't bought anything on the AH and nothing but stims and medpacs from the vendors.

Not sure why it should be nerfed. Good luck getting all schematics for high lvl Cybertech. Money making is NOT the main purpose of Slicing, it's getting schematics for Cybertech AND specific missions for ALL tradeskills to go directly for the needed materials, means: kick out the random from metal missions from Underworld Trading for example.

If some use it to make credits only, fine, their way, but there's a reason why the highest Slicing missions do NOT yield that much profit.

I'm using Armstech + Slicing + Investigation on one char, Cybertech, Scavenging and Underworld Trading on another, it works pretty fine so far.

Geez, some need to think before they post and not only yell: nerf nerf! because of it seems like you can make credits too easy and they did not choose the same way.

In the beginning I was of the opinion it was a bit of a "gamebreaker". But I have changed my mind on that. I only concluded that because of the lower level prices. However, after 30, slicing wont cover it.

BUT

For any new character, this is the way to go. Pick up crafting later in the game when you can support it economicly because its really expensive to level.

For any new character, this is the way to go. Pick up crafting later in the game when you can support it economicly because its really expensive to level.

Pretty much that. It helps tremendously with expenses, which get very high as you near the top levels.

Slicing = easy source of money. It will pay for your inventory, your bank, skills, speeder ... but OP analyse is off by around 40-50%; With 2 missions per hour you will clock 2-3k profit per companion. Not 150k but around 60k for 6 leveled up characters and you will go crazy from all the relogging.

Much easier to just go farm mobs with 1 character and 0 companions ... you get 40-60k an hour as well.

Edited by Repefe

im not worried about the amount of credits, what might make this skill OP in the long run are augments. If it was just a bit of extra money for people that dont care for crafting it's fine, but since you also get augments from it and epic versions will be in high demand from the min/maxers, slicing will be the only crew skill where you will get direct monetary gain(at least no loss of investment, most likely profit) + expensive stuff to auction.

leave the credits as is and take away the augments. make them craftable by a crew skill which has gotten less love like synthweave or armortech so they can be of use in the long run.

just my 2 cents.

Level 21 (215 slicing) with over 100k credits due to slicing. Each mission costs ~1k with 15 minutes or less to complete, normally return is ~2k+, highest I've seen is 3k profit. I run both my companions on slicing missions whenever possible.

I've failed less than 5 missions and that is when I didn't really notice the yield rates/mission colors (would just randomly click one and go).

To me it seems like other professions would be making money just as easy since they could sell their materials/created items for an inflated amount due to how much credits slicers have, but this is just speculation.

People who are stating they aren't making money, barely break even, and/or constantly failing must be doing something wrong. My brother who went the the nonslicing route has around 25k credits and is the same level as me. Does slicing need a nerf? Maybe, but I would rather see improvements made to the GTN to make selling crafted items/materials easier and maybe some improvements made to other crew missions.

buffs not nerfs!

Sorry but this post is flat out BS. Since they nerfed slicing, I'm lucky to make more than I spend on a mission. I'm 400/400 sliciing, using Mako with +15 efficiency, and I spend ~2k to send her on rich missions, and she usually returns with a box of 2500-3000 credits. If she crits, I make 6.5k. For one hour. Woo, you make more than that doing a single space combat daily in 5 minutes. Please stop spreading this BS, it's hard enough making the money I need to cover the costs of not having another gathering prof.

Sorry but this post is flat out BS. Since they nerfed slicing, I'm lucky to make more than I spend on a mission. I'm 400/400 sliciing, using Mako with +15 efficiency, and I spend ~2k to send her on rich missions, and she usually returns with a box of 2500-3000 credits. If she crits, I make 6.5k. For one hour. Woo, you make more than that doing a single space combat daily in 5 minutes. Please stop spreading this BS, it's hard enough making the money I need to cover the costs of not having another gathering prof.

And you understand you are doing it wrong by doing the high level missions? The max level slicing missions are worth it only to get the high level augments.

I miss the days when the only people playing MMOs were real nerds who could actually do math.

Actually look at the spreadsheet I linked. I'm sorry that half you people go, "OMG level 400 slicing I have to do the max level misisons", because that is not how you make the money.

1 Account-6 characters-5 companions. Assume a 5k net per mission (Much higher)

6x5=30

30x5000

150k an hour

3.6 million a day.

25.3 million a week.

Assume 10 accounts

36 million a day

253 million a week

Assume 100 accounts

360 million a day

2.53 billion a week

And all you need is one china farmer switching accounts hitting a button.

Do I even need to say anything else?

I wish you'd said nothing.. You're talking out your arse !

http://i.imgur.com/qvMSH.jpg

I spent a little bit of credits so not 100k, but as soon as my companions get back I will back over. I'm sure there are plenty of people at my level with more if they afk-slice whenever they are done questing, I only slice when questing.

:sul_tongue::sul_tongue::sul_tongue:

i like how people ONLY talk about the missions

does anyone actually go out and look for lockboxes?

imo thats where the real money is

At my level a lockbox gives ~200 credits. Free credits sure, but nothing compared to the money made doing missions.

At my level a lockbox gives ~200 credits. Free credits sure, but nothing compared to the money made doing missions.

true but right now, while leveling, i can ussually find 5-8 lockboxes in the time it takes a mission to complete

so if i get 200 credits, assuming i dont crit any of those, on the lowest i've found, 5, thats 1000 credits plus the maybe 1k-1.5k profit i get from missions (the 1k-1.5k profit is from 2 companions doing missions)

Edited by Andokun

true but right now, while leveling, i can ussually find 5-8 lockboxes in the time it takes a mission to complete

so if i get 200 credits, assuming i dont crit any of those, on the lowest i've found, 5, thats 1000 credits plus the maybe 1k-1.5k profit i get from missions (the 1k-1.5k profit is from 2 companions doing missions)

For sure, I always grab the lockboxes I come across:cool:

Always go for bountiful yields! ALWAYS! I'm at 250 slicing (maybe more) and it costs me 800-1000 credits to send off my companion and after 10-15 minutes I get back 2000-4000 credits! It's insane! Not to mention I have archaeology and scavenging which means another HUGE chunk of credits after selling it in the GTN. At level 24 I had 200,000 credits. I could afford my speeder training five times. Not to mention my success rates for slicing are amazing. I probably fail the mission 1/10 times.

Basically, slicing... it's amazing.

I picked up slicing at about level 20, because I was barely making enough with my gathering skills and crafting skills to get by, and knew when I hit 25 I'd need 40k.

I had 9k credits when I switched, I'll say again, at level 20.

By time I hit 25, I had 75k credits, had expanded my inventory to nearly max, added an extra bay to my storage, and was able to get my speeder lessons.

I'm at level 32 right now, and hover around 200k credits.

Should it be nerfed? -shrugs- The people saying they barely make a profit from slicing either are doing something very wrong, or just lying. I am not making huge profits, but I am making a nonstop profit from the field and missions. I send one companion out on slicing missions, nonstop, as I level. The profit is from about 100 credits to 3000 credits here and there, and the 3000 credits one is a rarity. The big point here is that the profit is close to CONSTANT. It really does add up after playing for a few hours.

Picking up slicing has made leveling a lot easier. But to be honest, later on I doubt the credits from the lock boxes will be a priority anymore. I'll get more from the augments and the schematics. When millions of credits are being passed around each day, a measly profit of 100-3000 every 30 minutes isn't going to get you by.

Despite saying this, slicing could be abused by gold sellers who have it automated, unless there's already something in place to balance accounts that slice constantly on multiple characters. Increased failure rate, and decreased crit rate, maybe?

Edited by Dgator