Commando as Ranged DPS, Viable ?

Elandir

hello there,

I'm a Vanguard Trooper and i'm unhappy with the "melee" approach of the class... so i'm thinking about switching to a commando.

My big question is, how good can a commando do ranged dps ? specially in pvp ?

Ty very much =)

Gunnery is one of the highest Ranged DPS specs in the game. In PvP, you have amazing burst, decent sustained damage, but VERY low mobility. It's great against pugs who don't know to focus you. Once you become focused though, your escape cooldowns have long-ish cooldowns and don't have a huge effect overall. Basically, if you can stand and shoot without being harassed, you will do well. If you can't you won't.

Gunnery is one of the highest Ranged DPS specs in the game. In PvP, you have amazing burst, decent sustained damage, but VERY low mobility. It's great against pugs who don't know to focus you. Once you become focused though, your escape cooldowns have long-ish cooldowns and don't have a huge effect overall. Basically, if you can stand and shoot without being harassed, you will do well. If you can't you won't.

Ty for the input...

what can you tell me about the others trees ?

Basically the assault-line gives you alot more movement whilst PvPing. It seems, that there are more instant casts, and more damage over time effects, which may make assault more viable for pvp.

But that's just philosophy I think. Personally I like to survive in pvp, I rather am a walking fortress and stun and slow everyone around me, than to kill every single enemy in a split second.

What do you like? Going down and drag at least 3-4 enemys with you, cause you seriously DoT'ed their asses? Go assault. You like bursting and getting badly focused once the community figured out how 'bursty' commandos can be? Go gunnery.

In the end it only matters how clever you are pvp-wise. Hope these thoughts helped you a little.

Basically the assault-line gives you alot more movement whilst PvPing. It seems, that there are more instant casts, and more damage over time effects, which may make assault more viable for pvp.

But that's just philosophy I think. Personally I like to survive in pvp, I rather am a walking fortress and stun and slow everyone around me, than to kill every single enemy in a split second.

What do you like? Going down and drag at least 3-4 enemys with you, cause you seriously DoT'ed their asses? Go assault. You like bursting and getting badly focused once the community figured out how 'bursty' commandos can be? Go gunnery.

In the end it only matters how clever you are pvp-wise. Hope these thoughts helped you a little.

Sure they did, i rather go with the build that die less... maybe assault will be my choice.

hello there,

I'm a Vanguard Trooper and i'm unhappy with the "melee" approach of the class... so i'm thinking about switching to a commando.

My big question is, how good can a commando do ranged dps ? specially in pvp ?

Ty very much =)

Bad part about that is if you do go Commando you will have to make a new Trooper. You can't change your AC after you pick it.