The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Every time I read "BiS" - pro vs casual

chillshock

This s probably going to be something different than you'd expect:

I'm glad I got the whole BiS stuff out of my system back in WoW days. I'm totally casual now. And the pro gamers are still nice to have - because I can stand there and smile and admire their dedication to the game and it's mechanics.

You know - I used to play the whole min/max thing... what boss with what number of avoid/resistance, hit percentages to the 3rd digit...optimal crit... same thing different game. Used to be that way when starting swtor, too. Been PvP mostly... but reallife took me on a break. ;)

I'd never go that far in a game again. Playing for fun - call it casual if you like - has become my way.

I have to say: Games became just what they should be: fun only.

Suddenly it doesn't matter if you compare in dps or if you "fall 5% behind"... as long as 'it feels strong'.

It doesn't matter if you run out of adrenals or whatnot... so you die against this player... **** happens.

And even if an update is bugged to hell and back - the important part remains the new stuff for you.

The whole concerns and demands of the game faded and the cool effects, animations, the laughing about voice-options or companions, the immersion, the love for detail prevailed. Swtor is a VERY cool game in that regard.

I know many who went from - let me call it pro - pro-playstyle to "not playing games at all".

But I know ... well... not anyone who has done it the same way as I.

Anyone here who went from 'pro' to casual?

first i'd like to say, if you played wow you are someone who knows how a game can be unplayable after a patch..

second, i've a lot of chars, mostly for casual playing, a couple are for HM nim raiding or pvp..we raid once, twice a week, i do some ranked in the weekends.

we have turns/points system for loot, so everyone has access to the best gear. the rest, pugging SM, dailies, crafts, bis with comms are funny activities i do in the most relaxed way possible. raiding is just a tier above stresswise and for the care you need in BiS and optimizing rotations etc. not so much is needed..specially if you happen to have a lot of commendations, you don't aim to have a lot of chars optimized.. you just or at least I do, end buying those boots for the enhancement..and bis is done..but i understand you..wife and childern are not an excuse to be bad, and are not a reason to not being able to kick some pve/pvp butt as it has to be done. obviously this is just a game and best things are outthere

first i'd like to say, if you played wow you are someone who knows how a game can be unplayable after a patch..

Ain't that the truth. :D And well... as far as nerfs go... I was a dps-warrior in classic. You know before AQ gear made us so awesome the nerfs started. *g* Compared to the 'every melee is the same just a different color' of today, it were good times and the choices you had were... impressive. I'm glad to see that some of the changes have NOT inspired the swtor devs. ;)

Right now, as far as details, options, changes and possible immersion goes, swtor is definately a top ranking game, imho. But I'm no one for candy-colored wildstar games. So yeah... I like it a lot. Not being hardcore gamer actually does the oposite of what I would have imagined 'back then': There is far more potential for enjoyment, if you DON'T care about those 5-10% less damage than that other class that totally needs a nerf! ;)

"Have the party take two steps left, dps for 2 GCD cycles, bend over and shuffle right while farting and dodging blaster fire from force power-absorbing rotating walls until the boss's eyes begin to glow flourescent pink, then curb all ranged for 10 seconds so the tanks can scrub debuffs while the boss scratches his gonads and spins cleverly in place as he AoE's anyone wearing medium armor that's been organically milled on Nar Shadda. Once his enrage timer expires then everyone MUST blow their antistatic visor CDs and dash back to square one before a 20' section of floor melts the party's legs off for no reason whatsoever. Rinse and repeat except this time it's in the reverse direction and healing force power is reduced by 20%. Anyone who doesn't finish farting before the boss's eyes light up triggers the next enrage timer ... "

Fortunately TOR's boss mechanics aren't that inane. Though I'm curious how many would stand in the street staring down an oncoming garbage truck because they don't have DBM telling them when to get out of the way.

Some "casual" players (possibly even many) are ex-hardcores who burned out after end game went from being a hobby to a science project to a 2nd job. No more grinding 20+ dailies and heroics. No more farming 3 nights a week to support raids. No more 4 hour wipe nights twice a week with multiple six hour boss grinds on the weekends.

Ex-hardcores who grow up to be casuals just wanna log in and blow stuff up. They still have viable skills and can hold their own in a fair fight. They excel in team environments and have zero tolerance for attitudes. Their perfectionist edge is dulled because they choose to sharpen real life wits instead of fantasy weapons. They bask in the heat of battle but have no desire to fight an entire war. They play to win - just not at all costs. They don't LMAO, but they do laugh their asses off. When they pat you on the back, you can add it to your resumé. And when they drink, they drink Juma Juice.

Stay thirsty my friends . . . :D

Edited by GalacticKegger