The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What would be a cool new class

wrath-dragon

I've been thinking about star wars a lot and what class would be cool if they made an medic class. The two more advance class would be Doctor and Field Medic; the doctor class would be focus on individual heals and buffing while the Field Medic would focus on group and area healing and buffing. It would make flashpoints easier and Pvp hardier at the same time. Of course leveling would be hard without an group but the Medic class would mainly focus on group than soloing.

No. There are 3 healing advanced classes as is (each having their own advantages and disadvantages) this idea would be absolutely terrible.

As for a new class in general,

Think about it, an entirely new class might be nigh impossible. Consider that they'd have to make (presumably) new weapon types, new stories (w/ voice overs), rebalance PvP & PvE again (not that they have even done so yet), they'd have to add new npc's for each classes's max gear (forcing another redesign on the fleet), they'd have to add new companions and their storylines, a new ship model, and they'd obviously have to create a whole new series of animations for the next class's slew of abilities they'd get. I'm probably missing something but you get the picture.

Some of these things are easy, some are insanely difficult and expensive. All in all, it is a great wish but it won't happen at least until they have a major paid expansion sometime like 2-3 years from now.

StarSquirrel, I hope this doesn't sound rude but this is about ideas of a new class and you're kind of shutting down the topic. I personally think many options are here for new classes. With great vision, many new things can be created and added to this game.

StarSquirrel, I hope this doesn't sound rude but this is about ideas of a new class and you're kind of shutting down the topic. I personally think many options are here for new classes. With great vision, many new things can be created and added to this game.

I don't mean to be rude either, but do you really think the developers of this game care even the slightest about our ideas for new classes? And do you deny that at this point in the development of this game it is highly unlikely that any new classes will be added?

Not to mention, this thread is in the absolute wrong place if you want the developers to see it (try: here or here)

Besides I'm merely reiterating what the people in those same subforums will tell you in each of the 5 weekly threads about this topic.

I have every right to voice this opinion and point these issues out. I also started the entire post off by criticising the OP's original idea specifically, thus contributing to the specific topic here. That, good sir, is something you failed to do. Feel free to ignore my comment, I can't imagine people would care enough about it to be "shutting down the topic" unless they agree with me.

Oh, and just to remind everyone that we get these all the frreakin time, this is a list of just SOME of the "New Class" threads posted or posted in during the last two weeks or so. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Now, don't get me wrong I'd love to see new classes. However this game has other issues and additions that should be focused on first. Save new classes for a large expansion in a few years so that they can do it right, and in the mean time consolidate the suggestions into the Suggestion Box ifr at all possible.

@ StarSquirrel,

As it stands right now the game is more or less dead. I remember having played it during Beta, and then buying the CE when it first launched. Only to watch the game fall into the sad state that it is in now. There are less, and less servers all the time, and even less and less people on the servers we have. If the developers don't want this game to just dry up and die, in the next year or two, then yes listening to the players is a good way to go about fixing things. That's not to say that every idea should be implanted, in fact I reckon a lot of ideas are probably going to be crap. However this game needs to really do something new if it is to survive.

Bioware claimed that the biggest selling point of the game was player driven stories. I remember watching the podcasts back then, and watching them use that as their claim to fame, over other MMOs. As it stands right now, most people have already went through the vast majority of the stories if not all of them. The only ones who might not have are some new players here or there, or people that just left the game long ago, before ever finishing all of the stories. Adding in a few new classes even if it's one class, but two different stories (Republics & Empire) would help the game a bit.

In all honesty you wouldn't have to add new weapons, enough exist to make it work. Iconic Armor would have to be added, but they're adding in armor sets all the time in the Cartel Market, so I can't imagine it being that hard for them. PVP balance will never be attained, so who cares about that point? Things will just fluctuate from one FotM class to another, as they always do, in every mmo to date, this one included. Star ships, also probably wouldn't take a lot of work either. I mean both the Jedi classes, and both the Sith classes, share the same ship. If they wanted to cut corners, they could make a ship that's very much like the Soldier one, or the BH one. They could even use the smuggler ship if they wanted too, since it's a fairly common ship. Really the hardest parts would be coming up with a full story, and getting the voice actors, into a recording studio which are generally expensive. However I'd imagine that due to the new content being added and new lines are still being added as well, then it's not a huge issue for BIoware. Also not to mention other mmos, but I know there have been some that have used in house workers. People such as programmers, or artists, or what not, to also do a bit of over time with voice acting. You don't need to pay a hefty amount to professionals voice actors. The in house ones have done a decent enough job in other games, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. In fact I'd be willing to bet some have already done so.

I suppose if Bioware really wanted to have an even easier time, they could just make an extra advanced class for each class in general, going to 3 advanced classes instead of 2. Then really all they'd have to do is add new abilities and skill trees, to the existing classes but everything else is already there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this will be a walk in the park regardless of which way they decide to do it. However it definitely can be done even with a limited budget, that Bioware probably has atm, due to lack of subscribers, or players in general. The only real way to repopulate the game is by word of mouth, as no amount of advertising is really going to help anymore, for a game that's 2 & 1/2 years old, and sinking hard. People have to get their friends to come back, or just get new friends to join in general, and the only way to do that is to start listening to the players, and making it a great game that people will want to play with their friends. I also would say they could take some notes from other F2P games, and adopt their business models, as this one is pretty horrid. However, that's a different discussion altogether. (BTW I am a subscriber in case you were going to say anything else in regards to this topic.)

That aside, I'm not even going to bother addressing what the class should be, how it should play or anything else for that matter. However I do think that we as players need more options. Be it classes, races, or other things. It wouldn't matter to me, if this was something I would have to purchase with Cartel Coins, or Subscribe, but it should definitely happen sooner or later, and hopefully sooner than later for the games sake.

Edit : Also something I noticed, in your thread count you missed #4. You just went 1,2,3,5...

Also 5 is pointless as it was made last year, instead of recent weeks as you said. To add to that, maybe this many people making threads about a new class, should be a hint, on what to start looking into next for bioware.

Edited by Setta

@ StarSquirrel,

As it stands right now the game is more or less dead. I remember having played it during Beta, and then buying the CE when it first launched. Only to watch the game fall into the sad state that it is in now. There are less, and less servers all the time, and even less and less people on the servers we have. If the developers don't want this game to just dry up and die, in the next year or two, then yes listening to the players is a good way to go about fixing things. That's not to say that every idea should be implanted, in fact I reckon a lot of ideas are probably going to be crap. However this game needs to really do something new if it is to survive.

Game's not dead, and if it wants to stay that way there need to be some major changes before even thinking about new classes. A few are: balancing the classes that exist, adding new Ops/WZ's, improving GSF (perhaps adding a PvE portion), Guild Ships (coming), new species, new quests to expand on the story of the existing classes (not the crap they pulled with Makeb), some dynamic events or elements that might actually affect the galaxy as a whole (seriously, the game is so boring in this area) etc...

Bioware claimed that the biggest selling point of the game was player driven stories. I remember watching the podcasts back then, and watching them use that as their claim to fame, over other MMOs. As it stands right now, most people have already went through the vast majority of the stories if not all of them. The only ones who might not have are some new players here or there, or people that just left the game long ago, before ever finishing all of the stories. Adding in a few new classes even if it's one class, but two different stories (Republics & Empire) would help the game a bit.

That is why the existing class stories need more content, not new classes. If you add a class it'll be another "I played it to 55 in a week and got the whole story now I'm bored" situation all over again. Expand what we have so it takes players weeks to finish a single story, then it would be worth it to include a new story. If you truly think the game is dead, a new class won't save it but finishing was is there might provide the boost needed to reach for the wall of crazy and pick "new class"

In all honesty you wouldn't have to add new weapons, enough exist to make it work. Iconic Armor would have to be added, but they're adding in armor sets all the time in the Cartel Market, so I can't imagine it being that hard for them. PVP balance will never be attained, so who cares about that point? Things will just fluctuate from one FotM class to another, as they always do, in every mmo to date, this one included. Star ships, also probably wouldn't take a lot of work either. I mean both the Jedi classes, and both the Sith classes, share the same ship. If they wanted to cut corners, they could make a ship that's very much like the Soldier one, or the BH one. They could even use the smuggler ship if they wanted too, since it's a fairly common ship. Really the hardest parts would be coming up with a full story, and getting the voice actors, into a recording studio which are generally expensive. However I'd imagine that due to the new content being added and new lines are still being added as well, then it's not a huge issue for BIoware. Also not to mention other mmos, but I know there have been some that have used in house workers. People such as programmers, or artists, or what not, to also do a bit of over time with voice acting. You don't need to pay a hefty amount to professionals voice actors. The in house ones have done a decent enough job in other games, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. In fact I'd be willing to bet some have already done so.

Bad idea. If there is a new class I want to see work, and I want to see it be done in stellar fashion. If they merely recycle old crap and give me something half baked I will drop the game immediately. It'd be more of a killing blow than anything else they could do.

I suppose if Bioware really wanted to have an even easier time, they could just make an extra advanced class for each class in general, going to 3 advanced classes instead of 2. Then really all they'd have to do is add new abilities and skill trees, to the existing classes but everything else is already there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this will be a walk in the park regardless of which way they decide to do it. However it definitely can be done even with a limited budget, that Bioware probably has atm, due to lack of subscribers, or players in general. The only real way to repopulate the game is by word of mouth, as no amount of advertising is really going to help anymore, for a game that's 2 & 1/2 years old, and sinking hard. People have to get their friends to come back, or just get new friends to join in general, and the only way to do that is to start listening to the players, and making it a great game that people will want to play with their friends. I also would say they could take some notes from other F2P games, and adopt their business models, as this one is pretty horrid. However, that's a different discussion altogether. (BTW I am a subscriber in case you were going to say anything else in regards to this topic.)

Not opposed to this idea. Also LOTRO is doing well with a FTP model very similar to this game's. I think when this game gets 2-3 expansions under its belt and can allow FTP players more options while still having a ton of content to sell, the FTP move will look like a stroke of genius.

That aside, I'm not even going to bother addressing what the class should be, how it should play or anything else for that matter. However I do think that we as players need more options. Be it classes, races, or other things. It wouldn't matter to me, if this was something I would have to purchase with Cartel Coins, or Subscribe, but it should definitely happen sooner or later, and hopefully sooner than later for the games sake.

Agreed, I just think classes aren't the way to go now and should be saved for when they can be done well. Let them do easier things like species and end-game content for now.

Also 5 is pointless as it was made last year, instead of recent weeks as you said. To add to that, maybe this many people making threads about a new class, should be a hint, on what to start looking into next for bioware.

No it is people wanting what they want and not happy that the classes in-game don't conform to their playstyle enough most of the time. Besides, even if a million people signed a petition demanding a $100 minimum hourly wage, it'd still be a bad idea.

Also, as to #5, remember I said posted or posted in during the last few weeks. Check it again, then get back to me.

Game's not dead, and if it wants to stay that way there need to be some major changes before even thinking about new classes. A few are: balancing the classes that exist, adding new Ops/WZ's, improving GSF (perhaps adding a PvE portion), Guild Ships (coming), new species, new quests to expand on the story of the existing classes (not the crap they pulled with Makeb), some dynamic events or elements that might actually affect the galaxy as a whole (seriously, the game is so boring in this area) etc...

I don't disagree with adding any of these. In what order though before adding new classes is a different matter, that will vary from opinion to opinion. I do disagree on the fact about the "game's not dead part". Though I suppose we just have different definitions of what a dead game means to each of us.

That is why the existing class stories need more content, not new classes. If you add a class it'll be another "I played it to 55 in a week and got the whole story now I'm bored" situation all over again. Expand what we have so it takes players weeks to finish a single story, then it would be worth it to include a new story. If you truly think the game is dead, a new class won't save it but finishing was is there might provide the boost needed to reach for the wall of crazy and pick "new class"

So let's see by your logic it takes a week to see a story from 1-55 before you're bored again. Yet you want to expand each current story, so that it takes weeks to finish. Going by that logic, if it takes 1-55 a week, and let's say by your definition weeks is a bare minimum of 2 weeks of play time. You want to double the current content essentially, where as i just want one class. If you implied 3 weeks as opposed to 2, then you're tripling the content and so forth. Now which one of us is being unreasonable here?

Also my logic in adding a new class will bring back more players who have left than adding story content to existing classes would. Saying oh hey there's an extra chapter for your Sith Warrior & Imperial Agent to finish doesn't draw me in as much as saying hey you can play a gladiator or something, with a vibro sword, and guns. On the one hand I have a new class, new companions, and a new story to go through. On the other hand, I have classes with maxed out companion affection, nothing to really add to the companion story line, no new gear to acquire outside of new raids. Really it just comes down to expanding on what I've already done. If I'm a returning player I might no longer even remember half the choices I made between 2-8+ different characters, or what their story originally was in the first place. Heck maybe I do remember and no longer like those choices I made. Some people will come back, play through it and leave again, some will obviously stay though. Other people might think about coming back, and then decide against it because they don't want to start a Sith Warrior all over again, and don't want to pick up from a point that they don't remember the things they've done on said character. I know it sounds strange, but yes there are people like that, several actually. I believe it falls into a form of OCD, kind of like how some people are completionists (I'm one of those), or people who have to have every pet / emote / gear etc. It's not exactly like watching a sequel to a movie a year or two later. A new class is a clean slate to bring back new players, who might get back into the game. New chapters may do that as well, but I have a feeling less likely to succeed in that endeavor.

Bad idea. If there is a new class I want to see work, and I want to see it be done in stellar fashion. If they merely recycle old crap and give me something half baked I will drop the game immediately. It'd be more of a killing blow than anything else they could do.

Depends on how much is recycled. A ship I personally wouldn't mind to much. Sure a new ship would be better, but with the budget Bioware most likely has atm, I wouldn't be surprised, if I saw this route go through. Out of all the things Bioware could do to make me quit (again) this would be the least likely. Armor & Weapons are already so interchangeable to the point where I personally find it hard to care anymore. If a few skins are reused so be it. I don't want all of them to be the same mind you, but I mean you can have a Jedi Knight running around in Malevolent Interrogator (SI armor set) armor with a red lightsaber, if you wanted too. Having a new class use something that's based of another classes gear, or even a few things of the Cartel Market probably won't even make me notice it to start with, because I'm at that point where I'm so used to seeing dumb get-ups on classes that they don't belong on, that this would just be a minor annoyance at best.

Not opposed to this idea. Also LOTRO is doing well with a FTP model very similar to this game's. I think when this game gets 2-3 expansions under its belt and can allow FTP players more options while still having a ton of content to sell, the FTP move will look like a stroke of genius.

Yes there are several games that are doing fine with the F2P model. I won't mention any here but I think most gamers know what they are, and Bioware would be smart to take a look at em.

Agreed, I just think classes aren't the way to go now and should be saved for when they can be done well. Let them do easier things like species and end-game content for now.

I will agree with the fact that given the two options 1) Rush the class just for the sake of having a new class out, or 2) Take the time and do it right. I will always go with #2, as I think you will too. However, after having come back to this game after a long hiatus, I noticed very little has changed. The space battles are new for me, and a few other minor things here and there, but really not much has changed. That's not a positive sign over all. Bioware really does have to step their game up, or if you just stick to adding a small amount to the game, over a long period of time, the players will get bored and leave for something else, and there's a lot of stuff out there to occupy ones time with.

Also as a side note, personally I would rather have new species than just about anything else at the moment. This is Star Wars for god's sake. The Republic alone is formed of a thousand, thousands (that's 1,000,000) worlds. The amount of alien species through out the Star Wars is astronomical. Yet we have human. Human with crappy cyborg parts. Chiss (blue humans) Sith (red humans, it should have been Kissai & Massassi but Bioware took the easy way out) Zabrak (humans with spikes on their head) Mirialan (Green humans) Miraluka (blind humans) Rattataki (grey humans). I feel that Twi lek's and to a lesser degree Cathar are about the only real alien like races we have. I would like to see something more interesting. Ithorians, Mon Calamari, Wookiees, Rodian, Gamorreans, etc. Heck I'd actually buy that Gamorrean axe if I could play as one. I suppose thinking about it, Sith do at least have the face tentacles, and bones that pop out of their face to give them a slightly different look then human, so 3 out of 11 I guess are none humanish, and one of them are still close enough to where I could make an argument for it being a red human . Yea we desperately need more alien races.

No it is people wanting what they want and not happy that the classes in-game don't conform to their playstyle enough most of the time. Besides, even if a million people signed a petition demanding a $100 minimum hourly wage, it'd still be a bad idea.

Also, as to #5, remember I said posted or posted in during the last few weeks. Check it again, then get back to me.

I disagree on that notion. I love my SI (rolling her a 2nd time around currently) I like my Vanguard who I plan to redo for the 3rd time around soon, my gunslinger is also being redone for the 2nd time around now too. There are some classes that I think are very well done, and I wouldn't change a whole lot on them, at least from a pve standpoint. However I would not object to more classes to give me more to do. I think that's a notion a lot of players have, rather than what you believe to be the case, of omg this class is not awesome enough I want one that does everything I want. I mean seriously I don't think anyone who wants a new class will think if I post a thread on a new class, bioware will copy it word for word, to make it like I want. No we just want a new class in general.

Also touché on #5, although you're still missing #4 =P

I don't disagree with adding any of these. In what order though before adding new classes is a different matter, that will vary from opinion to opinion. I do disagree on the fact about the "game's not dead part". Though I suppose we just have different definitions of what a dead game means to each of us.

Agreed.

So let's see by your logic it takes a week to see a story from 1-55 before you're bored again. Yet you want to expand each current story, so that it takes weeks to finish. Going by that logic, if it takes 1-55 a week, and let's say by your definition weeks is a bare minimum of 2 weeks of play time. You want to double the current content essentially, where as i just want one class. If you implied 3 weeks as opposed to 2, then you're tripling the content and so forth. Now which one of us is being unreasonable here?

You misunderstand, I want them to expand the class stories we have and see these characters evolve as the events are unfolding around them. Makeb screwed some things up by pigeonholing every class into the same storyline with only minor quips about the things you've done. Think Mass Effect 3's original ending...

They don't have to make a full 3 act storyline, but they can add new planets and new instances on old planets to give a player some running around to do. Also things like Legendary weapons (A stole that from LOTRO) or something like that to improve beyond your level and legacy would be nice and give players some alternative busy work. Also, crafting could use some improvement, if done properly it might help rejuvenate the galactic market as well.

I also mentioned Dynamic changes, like unlocking new areas on old planets that reflect the change in the situation during the war. (Like a Republic controlled Corellia or a Imperial controlled Makeb etc...)

I should also mention refocusing the story on the war (Darth MArr FTW) would be better. Seriously, this game needs to move forward before expanding imo.

My point is add enough content to the end of the game to make a new class worth having especially since they're going to sell it to us no matter what. If there are 4-5 acts in a new class' story it might actually be worth it, but as is the class story through act 3 is the only actual content aside from gameplay that I'm paying for then I just get cookie-cutter faction stories after that.

Also my logic in adding a new class will bring back more players who have left than adding story content to existing classes would. -snip- It's not exactly like watching a sequel to a movie a year or two later. A new class is a clean slate to bring back new players, who might get back into the game. New chapters may do that as well, but I have a feeling less likely to succeed in that endeavor. [/Quote]

I disagree, I think it is easier cost-wise for Bioware to add to the story than make a new one and it will draw people who loved the story aspect of the game and had a few characters they were invested in back. That, combined with the new content and such already here means they're more likely to stick around (and spend money in either subscriber fees or cartel fees) for a while in an effort to get back into it.

New Classes have too much potential to go wrong and screw it all up.

Depends on how much is recycled. -snip- I'm so used to seeing dumb get-ups on classes that they don't belong on, that this would just be a minor annoyance at best.

My point is they'll recycle too much. The beauty of the existing classes is that they are each fairly unique but I feel a new class would be too much of a mash-up of the others.

Also, I agree with that last sentence... but I'm not so worried about other people, but my own character's story and customization options.

I will agree with the fact that given the two options 1) Rush the class just for the sake of having a new class out, or 2) Take the time and do it right. I will always go with #2, as I think you will too. However, after having come back to this game after a long hiatus, I noticed very little has changed. The space battles are new for me, and a few other minor things here and there, but really not much has changed. That's not a positive sign over all. Bioware really does have to step their game up, or if you just stick to adding a small amount to the game, over a long period of time, the players will get bored and leave for something else, and there's a lot of stuff out there to occupy ones time with.

On the contrary the game has changed drastically since it started, WZ arenas, GSF, OPs, lvl 55, Legacy system, 2 new companions, 1 new planet (others are dialy areas and don't count), evolving class meta game, etc... that is actually better than a lot of games can claim in their first 1-2 years. Still I agree it needs more change.

I agree though, you can't rush new classes.

Also as a side note, personally I would rather have new species than just about anything else at the moment. -snip- Yea we desperately need more alien races.

Been in favor of this since, uh, ever. I also think Cathar was a pretty piss poor choice for their first species addition.

I disagree on that notion. I love my SI (rolling her a 2nd time around currently) I like my Vanguard who I plan to redo for the 3rd time around soon, my gunslinger is also being redone for the 2nd time around now too. There are some classes that I think are very well done, and I wouldn't change a whole lot on them, at least from a pve standpoint. However I would not object to more classes to give me more to do. I think that's a notion a lot of players have, rather than what you believe to be the case, of omg this class is not awesome enough I want one that does everything I want. I mean seriously I don't think anyone who wants a new class will think if I post a thread on a new class, bioware will copy it word for word, to make it like I want. No we just want a new class in general.

Also touché on #5, although you're still missing #4 =P

Well, ok... I agree I guess. Still a lot of the complaints are still people wanting what they want and being irrational.

I would like to see a Leia/Padme/Tarkin/Thrawn-type class.

Mechanics like Mirror Image and Feral Spirit from World of Warcraft where they'd summon npc reinforcement that are super short lived specific effects (damage migration or dps burst for example) to fuller length npcs (think WoW totems) the continues spitting out other effects while they're on the field (heals or damage.)

Could have a decent dps out put with spells that buff self or party members.

You misunderstand, I want them to expand the class stories we have and see these characters evolve as the events are unfolding around them. Makeb screwed some things up by pigeonholing every class into the same storyline with only minor quips about the things you've done. Think Mass Effect 3's original ending...

They don't have to make a full 3 act storyline, but they can add new planets and new instances on old planets to give a player some running around to do. Also things like Legendary weapons (A stole that from LOTRO) or something like that to improve beyond your level and legacy would be nice and give players some alternative busy work. Also, crafting could use some improvement, if done properly it might help rejuvenate the galactic market as well.

I also mentioned Dynamic changes, like unlocking new areas on old planets that reflect the change in the situation during the war. (Like a Republic controlled Corellia or a Imperial controlled Makeb etc...)

I should also mention refocusing the story on the war (Darth MArr FTW) would be better. Seriously, this game needs to move forward before expanding imo.

My point is add enough content to the end of the game to make a new class worth having especially since they're going to sell it to us no matter what. If there are 4-5 acts in a new class' story it might actually be worth it, but as is the class story through act 3 is the only actual content aside from gameplay that I'm paying for then I just get cookie-cutter faction stories after that.

Ok fair enough I agree with all of these.

I disagree, I think it is easier cost-wise for Bioware to add to the story than make a new one and it will draw people who loved the story aspect of the game and had a few characters they were invested in back. That, combined with the new content and such already here means they're more likely to stick around (and spend money in either subscriber fees or cartel fees) for a while in an effort to get back into it.

New Classes have too much potential to go wrong and screw it all up.

Makeb is the reason I think it would be hard for them to do so. Their expansion pack failed hard in that aspect. It was actually when, and why I decided to quit too originally. I remember when it launched I was excited to see the story mode for my Sith Sorcerer, and IA expand (some other classes too). I was wondering how they were going to play Khem's story aspect.

The part where I decided to keep him over Zash in that body

. I was looking forward to seeing how the reverse would play out too, even thought about making another SI, assassin most likely to go with the other option. Then I got to Makeb. I was disappointed that they glossed over the whole companion story aspect, but ok one small annoyance nothing big yet. The first hour or two was great, and after that it sank in. How poorly the whole thing was instrumented, and that was their first expansion really didn't do much other than offer 5 more levels, and some skill tree abilities I could care less about. Worse yet they removed the old pvp armor, that I was still in the process of collecting. No I didn't want to purchase it off the AH, I wanted to be able to make it myself. I went on to my Vanguard, and saw the same thing just from a Republic side. After a while, I just kind of lost hope in the story really advancing. The game offered almost nothing new, and eventually I quit.

With new characters in every game that I've ever played it has generally had a favorable out comes. First the character(s) / class(es) brought in is (are) over powered. Partly because the developers all seem to suck at using good judgement, and partly because the players haven't figured out a way to stop said class yet, and just scream for pvp nerfs which translate into pve nerfs as well. Rather then learning how to play, cause God knows that's to hard to do. Then the nerfs do eventually come. Said class is neutered into oblivion. Months and months down the line, it gets put in roughly on par with the rest of the classes. Nothing is ever really perfect, even the previous classes still need balancing tweaks here and there, but it's not game breaking in my opinion. At least not in the way I watched all character stories get destroyed by the expansion as they just molded 8 stories into 2.

Over all I'll just agree to disagree here with you. Could the developers implant your suggestion and make it work right. Yes, and it would be great. However I don't think they have the funding or the time to do it, like it should be done if the X-pac was any indication of that. They had a lot more players, and thus a lot more income at that point, and look how it turned out. I will even say the same thing about the new class I think they will probably screw it up one way or another. I just believe it will be a bit easier for them to implant a new class though compared to expanding on what they have now as you've suggested, but with out really knowing what their infrastructure looks like, figuring out how much revenue they have to invest in said projects, and what their people are good at, it's going to be a guessing game for all of us, that will go back and forth to no end.

My point is they'll recycle too much. The beauty of the existing classes is that they are each fairly unique but I feel a new class would be too much of a mash-up of the others.

Also, I agree with that last sentence... but I'm not so worried about other people, but my own character's story and customization options.

Fair enough, I can understand that.

On the contrary the game has changed drastically since it started, WZ arenas, GSF, OPs, lvl 55, Legacy system, 2 new companions, 1 new planet (others are dialy areas and don't count), evolving class meta game, etc... that is actually better than a lot of games can claim in their first 1-2 years. Still I agree it needs more change.

I agree though, you can't rush new classes.

Yes the game has changed, but I don't think it's done anything that other games have not, short of GSF. Hk 51 was cool, and I liked the work (well small story really) required to get him. Although scanning for him did get annoying.after a while. The Ewok (sorry forgot her name) is just hey give us money for an Ewok, that has no place here continuity wise but we're broke so we'll take what we can get... Adding in new warzones, or raids / dungeons isn't something that should be given to Bioware as a major accomplishment. Every game needs to add new content, or it just dies, and every game that I've played, no matter how poorly it's been doing has done so. Same thing about the meta game, it just evolves over time. Sure the developers play a hand in it, but that's more of a player thing, as people find better ways to deal with said situation, and as gear improves to allow for certain builds to work, that weren't possible before due to lower stats, and scaling.

Been in favor of this since, uh, ever. I also think Cathar was a pretty piss poor choice for their first species addition.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tiger looking gunslinger, I'd have re-rolled the class just for that reason alone if you couldn't change races, but yea so many other choices that could have been better suited than a Cathar. O well baby steps, I guess.

Well, ok... I agree I guess. Still a lot of the complaints are still people wanting what they want and being irrational.

That will never change sadly, but yea more classes is generally better =)