Where is all this cash coming from?

GavinBail

By all means, go gather Laminoid if you don't like the GTN prices. I'm reasonably sure the nodes are much more rare than Silica and Desh, like by an order of magnitude, and otherwise it's used in low level armorings, mods, and other crafted items. So if you're trying to set up your alt + companion with full CM orange outfits of level 15-20, you're going to probably use 2-300 Laminoid to craft the mods. The cost blows you away but it's one set of dailies for a L55, so they don't care.

Bottom line, I sell 4-8 stacks of 99 per week, at 1200 each. If I drop the price to 900 I can sell 10-14 stacks easily. That's the demand, and clearly me and other gatherers wouldn't be able to keep up with it at 900.

Crafting mats on the GTN are priced based on demand, NOT on the grade of the mat. Some grade 1, 3, and 4 are very rare; too many crafters, people just out-leveling the areas too fast and not gathering anymore, whatever the reason. Then you get grade 6 and grade 9 (end-game) mats that sell for LESS than vendor price. Seriously I've made money buying from GTN and selling to NPC Vendor. Stacks and stacks of mats. Neutronium for example.

It's all about demand for the mat. Look at the schematics, multiple crafting skills use Laminoid, Chanlon, Polyplast, Electrum, Fibermesh, and almost NO useful schematic uses Silica, Desh, Laqerous, Plasteel and others. And at the top end, you have countless L55'ers trying to sell their Mythra - cheaper than Laminoid.

Edited by Merouk

and almost NO useful schematic uses Silica, Desh, Lacqerous, Plasteel .

I'd agree with you for two of those, but the other two I use ALL THE TIME and make good money off them.

So, please, by all means, continue to sell those like trash. :D

I'd agree with you for two of those, but the other two I use ALL THE TIME and make good money off them.

So, please, by all means, continue to sell those like trash. :D

Beginning crafters can makes serious bank selling blues to those leveling and wanting a little extra punch and stat distribution in their gear (which crafted blue level gear offers). My artificer did this, exclusively for a long time. Before I delved into purple artifice gear, I had already made 5 mil+ from selling blue low level enhancements, hilts, crystals and offhands.

As to the aforementioned mats, my armormech crafter make ridiculous profit margins on low level blues using silica, desh, and terenthium. Where there's a will, there's a way...as long as the way matches the pocketbook of those with demand. Find a spot of the market that's not attended to by crafters and 'tend to it. If you build it, they'll come...just don't price yourself above the market and below a profit margin for yourself. It may take some pencil and paper work to keep track of numbers and what not at first, but you'll learn where your costs need to be and your sales prices need to be for you to quickly pile up money.

Find a spot of the market that's not attended to by crafters and 'tend to it. If you build it, they'll come...

That, or diversify. Sell when the price is right.

It may take some pencil and paper work to keep track of numbers and what not at first, but you'll learn where your costs need to be and your sales prices need to be for you to quickly pile up money.

This. I keep being amazed at how many really intelligent people cannot do math when it comes to crafts, GTN, and such. Crafts a money sink, my precious behind. If I want to level one in 2 days, for sure it is. If I want to make money from the first schematic onwards, that is what I am doing. Needs some thought, and as you mention, some paper and pencil work though.

Edited by Nazdika

Crafts a money sink, my precious behind.

Nobody is claiming that crafting is a money sink.

What it is, is a long-term investment. Leveling a crafting skill requires materials. These materials either need to be purchased (costing money), or gathered (costing time). Then you have the time it takes the make the items, then reverse engineer them for the schematics.

Once all this is done, you can make plenty of money crafting.

I still recommend that one's first toon should only be gathering / mission skills. Save crafting for once you get to level 55 (or minimally until level 48 when you can send 5 companions out at the same time).