JK ending (possible spoilers)

Antediluvian

Just finished the class story last night and I have to say I was a little disappointed, so rant incoming. (I know there's a similar thread but that's focused more on the fight mechanics). Potential spoilers follow.

This is my 3rd character after SI and SW so on some level the entire game builds up to this fight with the emperor. First you have him described in those Jedi Archive videos that were released around launch time. He also appeared in the Revan book which I thought did quite a good job of building up his back story. For the majority of the game you don't actually get to see him and he is only talked about in revered / fearful tones, which I think it's great as it emphasizes his power and adds a mysterious vibe to it.

Then during the JK story the veil is slowly unraveled, as it should be. First you hear his voice (which is quite good) through Kira, then you have the moment on his fortress taking on the Jedi Masters but he's still hidden behind his mask. I thought this scene was pretty cool.

Considering all this I thought the final confrontation was a little disappointing. I just didn't feel the character had much presence. For starters considering he's such an important character I think they could have put a bit more effort into the character model. You can tell for example much more work was put into Malgus and Satele, heck even the trooper with a scar on his face in the republic intro video looked better than the emperor.

Maybe this is justified as they get much more screen time and if this was just any other NPC I would agree. But he isn't just another NPC, the entire game revolves around him. When you finally walk up to him to have the climatic battle you need to be in awe of him. This guy just destroyed the minds of several Jedi Masters. I just wasn't feeling it. Just an ordinary NPC which you could probably make in the character creator, simple robes, no grand displays of power. Just a brief amount of dialog explaining his plans, you fight him, next thing you know he's on the floor and crushed beneath the roof. It didn't feel like I just had a titanic battle with possibly the most powerful being in existence. It just felt like I tripped up an old man and stabbed him in the back.

Yeah the bit when you throw him was cool, and having him in the Dark Temple was a good idea but that was about it.

Consider, for example, the last chapters of the SI and SW story lines. In the SI case you fight the main villain about 3 or 4 times, each time steadily becoming more powerful. In the SW case you systematically kill his supporters until you know he has no backup. Because you're interacting with the main villains for a much larger portion of the story you really get an "Ok let's finish this!" feeling when you walk through the final door. In addition the dialog and extra characters in the final scene are superb. Yeah the character models aren't anything special but that doesn't matter too much as these villains aren't as significant as the emperor and you know well in advance who you're going to be facing. The SI duel in particular does a great job of showing you the power you worked so hard to build up and unleashing it on the villain is quite satisfying.

Comparing this to the JK ending and it all happened rather suddenly. After defeating Tol Broga he says something like: "The Emperor is on Dromund Kaas. Go to him. He is in a weakened state." Did I miss something here? He annihilated us last time. Why is he all of a sudden "weakened"? Sure I killed some of his followers and stopped some of his plans but nothing to affect him directly. It felt a bit "Oh yeah, you need to fight him now...". Overall his fall from power happened too suddenly.

Also T3-M4. I was hoping to take Scourge / Kira with me and see what they had to say to each other. While the explanation for taking T3 made sense, some earlier warning might have been better. When I realized I had to take T3 he was only in level 20 gear. Having to leave Dromund Kaas to gear him up and come back broke the rhythm.

Oh and last point, which applies to the game as a whole really: facial animations are a bit off :o

Having done the Sith Warrior storyline already, you should know, that you only faced off against the Emperors Voice. The First emperor you are to fight is also an Emperors Voice, and he wasn't wearing a mask - that was his face.

As such, they chose to use an ordinary looking human for the emperor - In reality, the Sith Emperor is a pureblood sith.

As for why the Emperor is weakened? He was attempting to perform a dark ritual to consume all life in the galaxy. That would take a lot out of you, and he probably thought once he pulled it off his strength would return. You stopping multiple attempts at this ritual caused him to become weakened, allowing you to defeat his voice in single combat.

But don't worry! You will most likely face him again! Whether they choose to make the Emperor part of a new class storylines arch, a new operation that is republic specific (the empire gets to kill Revan permanently or something) or even a Flashpoint boss, I have no doubt that when we face the true emperor, he's gonna make his previous fight look like you were fighting a ragdoll (which, by the way, the original design of the Emperor Fight was a nightmare - he had a 10 second cast time insta-kill which was uninterruptable, and his clones did as much damage as he did)

As for T3-M4? Its T7-01 :rolleyes:

T3-M4 was with Revan when he took on the Emperor, and got blown up :(

Edited by TACeMossie

Having done the Sith Warrior storyline already, you should know, that you only faced off against the Emperors Voice. The First emperor you are to fight is also an Emperors Voice, and he wasn't wearing a mask - that was his face.

As such, they chose to use an ordinary looking human for the emperor - In reality, the Sith Emperor is a pureblood sith.

Ahh ok it's been a while since I did the SW story. It's exactly for reasons like this a "replay cutscenes" feature would be great. Still I should have picked up on that.

As for why the Emperor is weakened? He was attempting to perform a dark ritual to consume all life in the galaxy. That would take a lot out of you, and he probably thought once he pulled it off his strength would return. You stopping multiple attempts at this ritual caused him to become weakened, allowing you to defeat his voice in single combat.

Well, was he? His agents were doing all the work and they weren't exactly ritual-like. Maybe the Voss one was, but the others were "trigger massive explosion and kill lots of people". Maybe you're right and the preparation phase, which required all these deaths, took it all out of him, I still think they could have elaborated on that more. For example I think it would have been quite cool if you burst into the room just as he was starting his ritual, then you could have some sort of fight mechanic where he would drain prisoner/jedi/sith to become more powerful.

As for T3-M4? Its T7-01 :rolleyes:

T3-M4 was with Revan when he took on the Emperor, and got blown up :(

And it's /facepalm moments like this which show you shouldn't take me seriously :(

• 2 weeks later...
"The Emperor is on Dromund Kaas. Go to him. He is in a weakened state." Did I miss something here? He annihilated us last time. Why is he all of a sudden "weakened"?

SW killed Voice on Voss to release Emperor from Baras's trap. That's the reason Emperor is weakened. Basically all you accomplished in your final class quest SW did "just by the way" on his way to Baras. :)

The Voice of the Emperor houses his awareness and his power.

Vitiate abandoned his body and his mortality long ago, so he exists as an entity, occupying vessels.

Destroying that Voice while it was already weakened from the thing back in Voss, effectively killed him short term. His power dispersed, his awareness cast away.

A bit Voldemort, if you'd like.

The Hand cares for his real body as he regains his strength, but how long that will take, no one knows.

My money is on the ending of SWTOR.

Some years later ( around 8-9 years), there will pprobably be a final expansion that shows Emperor coming back, and coming back with a Vengeance.

Too bad we all know how this story ends, with Disney discarding entire Expanded Universe.

Vitiate abandoned his body and his mortality long ago, so he exists as an entity, occupying vessels.

I thought he had a "true body" in hibernation and also used host bodies, no?

Edited by Khevar

I thought he had a "true body" in hibernation and also used host bodies, no?

That is correct, although it is highly debatable if that body is just somewhere to return when his Voice dies or acts like the source of his power.

The JK story and the clues dropped in SW storyline points to the former option. The ritual he used on his homeworld to gain immortality made him unimaginably powerful - and unique- in the Force.

Considering Drew Karsphyn was the original writer for this storyline, it's safe to assume Vitiate is able to pull all sorts of rabbits out of his hat.

The Voice of the Emperor houses his awareness and his power.

Destroying that Voice while it was already weakened from the thing back in Voss, effectively killed him short term. His power dispersed, his awareness cast away.

A bit Voldemort, if you'd like.

The Hand cares for his real body as he regains his strength, but how long that will take, no one knows.

My money is on the ending of SWTOR.

Some years later ( around 8-9 years), there will pprobably be a final expansion that shows Emperor coming back, and coming back with a Vengeance.

Too bad we all know how this story ends, with Disney discarding entire Expanded Universe.

Yeah, well I've got news for Disney bub, we all won't be discarding anything.

The Expanded Universe will still be there, alive and well, despite what they want.

• 1 month later...