Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The "BIG" Expansion is Getting Delayed to 2015 Isn't It?

Dawginole

So when they released the roadmap for 2014 we were supposed to get the "Biggest" update yet in SWTOR (I'm guessing 2.9), a Makeb sized expansion, and a "HUGE" announcement at the end of the year. We have a good idea what the biggest update is going to be....Galactic Strongholds. No idea what the Makeb sized expansion is going to be, probably with a level cap increase. Everyone talks about the update and expansion but no one is talking about the HUGE announcement. What I'm wondering is what the "HUGE" announcement is going to be. If its not a big update or a planet expansion.....what in Gods name is it? A boxed sized expansion in 2015? I just find it funny that everyone has forgotten about the announcement.

We still have no basis to guess what the announcement, which was always slated for early 2015 btw, will be. The only thing we really know is that 2015 is the year SW comes back to theatres, so I could see EA deciding to make a real expansion for Christmas 2015.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think we'll see anything there are barely any devs working on this and with the player base leaving by the hoard we'll see updates slow down even more until the game is sunset at the end of the year.

i don't think we'll see anything there are barely any devs working on this and with the player base leaving by the hoard we'll see updates slow down even more until the game is sunset at the end of the year.

You forgot to mention "Wildstar" in your post.

It was on the original roadmap, but I think its been edited as I can no longer find where it stated that. But.......here is a thread about the "Big Announcment" discussing it shortly after the original roadmap dropped.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=721144

You can see the original announcement here as well...

From what I can tell, they haven't changed a thing. Maybe you misread it?

Even before I looked for it, all I could think of was the original stuff pertaining the RoTHC-like expansion by the end of the year and the galaxy-shaking finale concerning the Forged Alliances story arc, nothing more.

You can see the original announcement here as well...

From what I can tell, they haven't changed a thing. Maybe you misread it?

Even before I looked for it, all I could think of was the original stuff pertaining the RoTHC-like expansion by the end of the year and the galaxy-shaking finale concerning the Forged Alliances story arc, nothing more.

I understand that, but there was mention of a huge announcement at the end of the year, hence the thread I posted discussing it. I remember discussing it in game with my guild shortly after it was announced on the fourms. I dont know what happened to it or why its no longer showing up anywhere but it was there. If it wasnt, people wouldnt have been discussing it.

I was thinking of this yesterday, we probably won't see any expansion like ROTHC until beginning of next year. I do remember the end of last year, or was is later? Anyway, the devs mentioned something about an epic release this year. Well I would not call having an apartment on Nar Shaddaa epic, even though it's cool in my opinion.

As a PVE solo player, that never PVP or spend time in OP's and the like, the only thing this year will be an apartment or two. And since I don't consider new equipment on the Cartel Market to be new content for someone like me, it's been very little in the way of things to actually do. Makeb and some apartments, no new stories or something similar.

I understand that, but there was mention of a huge announcement at the end of the year, hence the thread I posted discussing it. I remember discussing it in game with my guild shortly after it was announced on the fourms. I dont know what happened to it or why its no longer showing up anywhere but it was there. If it wasnt, people wouldnt have been discussing it.

Checking this page, it is clear to me that people just misunderstood what was said...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=721144&page=2

Again, nowhere in the Producer's Roadmap is stated that there will be a "HUGE announcement" by the end of the year. That was just people making wild assumptions.

As stated previously, a RoTHC-like expansion at the end of the year and a galaxy-shaking finale to Forged Alliances does NOT mean the same as "HUGE announcement" by the end of the year.

Also, by the end of the year, at that time, the expansion would be already out; Why would they waste time announcing something that was bound to be around the corner? :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Checking this page, it is clear to me that people just misunderstood what was said...

Again, nowhere in the Producer's Roadmap is stated that there will be a "HUGE announcement" by the end of the year. That was just people making wild assumptions.

As stated previously, a RoTHC-like expansion at the end of the year and a galaxy-shaking finale to Forged Alliances does NOT mean the same as "HUGE announcement" by the end of the year.

Also, by the end of the year, at that time, the expansion would be already out; Why would they waste time announcing something that was bound to be around the corner? :rolleyes:

Im sorry but I remember there being mention of a huge announcement at the end of the year. Maybe we arent talking about the same thing or if it was even in the roadmap, but someone on the Dev team made the statement on the fourms that there would be a huge announcement at the end of 2014. My guild has over 200 active people and it was the talk of guild chat for almost a week. Unless 200+ people were making wild assumptions collectively.

I am very good at reading comprehension and absolutely understood what was said. I posted my thoughts in the 9th post of that thread. The announcement they made in February 2014 was that they would make an announcement about the future of the game AFTER 3.0 is released. Meaning the earliest we'll be hearing the announcement about the future of the game will be January 2015, but likely significantly after that as they allow us to enjoy 3.0 for awhile first.

I am very good at reading comprehension and absolutely understood what was said. I posted my thoughts in the 9th post of that thread. The announcement they made in February 2014 was that they would make an announcement about the future of the game AFTER 3.0 is released. Meaning the earliest we'll be hearing the announcement about the future of the game will be January 2015, but likely significantly after that as they allow us to enjoy 3.0 for awhile first.

I may have misread WHEN the announcement was going to be but I do remember them stating there would be one. Thank you, I knew I wasnt the only one who saw that.

Edited by mpddispatch

I may have misread WHEN the announcement was going to be but I do remember them stating there would be one. Thank you, I knew I wasnt the only one who saw that.

You weren't.

Funny story. I have a friend I play this game with very casually and we had just come back a few days before the original roadmap released in Feb. I remember the mentioning of the announcement because it was taken out pretty quickly. I was in the forums when the road map dropped and saw it almost instantly. I linked it in skype and made a few random guesses as to what the announcement was. She saw it maybe an hour later and said she didn't see any mention of an announcement. It didn't stay in the roadmap long, but it definitely was there.

Draw whatever conclusions you what from it's removal. There may or may not be an announcement. It could've just been poor editing or miscommunication, but the roadmap definitely spoke of one.

Edited by Treeba

Until they come out and say that it's being pushed back, I'm expecting it to drop at the end of the year.

After all, they've said, repeatedly, that they have multiple teams working on many projects simultaneously. What happens with 2.8 shouldn't effect what happens with 2.9 and those efforts shouldn't effect 3.0(new expansion.)

So, until I see some word from high-up, I'll just expect the new expansion at year's end and not run around like Chicken Little.

Until they come out and say that it's being pushed back, I'm expecting it to drop at the end of the year.

After all, they've said, repeatedly, that they have multiple teams working on many projects simultaneously. What happens with 2.8 shouldn't effect what happens with 2.9 and those efforts shouldn't effect 3.0(new expansion.)

So, until I see some word from high-up, I'll just expect the new expansion at year's end and not run around like Chicken Little.

What your saying about various teams working on different projects makes total sense. I'm sure there's departmental cross over, but yes, there's definitely two different core teams dealing with the big patch and let's call it the "level cap expansion".

I think the problem that you may not be considering is their content pipeline.

For instance if they have two main teams working on large patches it very well may be that you have something like: Team A: June patch deadline; Team B: November patch deadline. When Team A hit it's deadline then it moves to start working on conten for the next major patch in say February. So by not only having their patch delayed, you delay the work on content due three or four patches out even if Team B is still on track.

Another thing to consider is that BW may not want to realease two massive patches within 2 months of each other if they don't have anything else ready in the pipe. At this point they may feel that they are better suited to release a major patch August-October and then wait three of four months to release the next major patch to be able to better spread out content throughout the next quarter or two quarters.

The latter is I think the bigger issue. Because this is a business. So the question really isn't about how much content they are able to release at once or whether or not the level cap expansion team is still on track to hit their target release date. The question is going to be about retaining or increasing subs over the 2015 fiscal year. If they can better do that by delaying the level cap expansion, you better believe they will.

Edited by Dawginole

Im sorry but I remember there being mention of a huge announcement at the end of the year. Maybe we arent talking about the same thing or if it was even in the roadmap, but someone on the Dev team made the statement on the fourms that there would be a huge announcement at the end of 2014. My guild has over 200 active people and it was the talk of guild chat for almost a week. Unless 200+ people were making wild assumptions collectively.

Again, so you say. :rolleyes:

The evidence speaks for itself though and as I mentioned already...

The original announcement can be read in the link ABOVE in all its glory. No word of any announcement whatsoever, except for the word of a few people in this thread.

Sounds akin to mass hysteria to me, similar to Bioware expressing they love the Voss and 200+ people IMMEDIATELY assuming that the Voss will be a playable species.

All over the sudden, it's no longer an ASSUMPTION; More like a certainty.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

You must have missed that announcement where Eric stated that new stuff pertaining GSF would be delayed indefinitely, since they would be focusing most of their attention on Galactic Strongholds and the new RoTHC-like expansion.

If what you said was to be accurate, then I guess someone is not being entirely truthful.

Fairly sure no one expected otherwise from the likes of you.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

You must have missed that announcement where Eric stated that new stuff pertaining GSF would be delayed indefinitely, since they would be focusing most of their attention on Galactic Strongholds and the new RoTHC-like expansion.

If what you said was to be accurate, then I guess someone is not being entirely truthful.

Fairly sure no one expected otherwise from the likes of you.

No need to get mad, bro. I'm just saying that I'm not going to over react and freak out like other people. Calm down.

No need to get mad, bro. I'm just saying that I'm not going to over react and freak out like other people. Calm down.

I'm calm. Just pointing out stuff as I see it. :o

Regardless, people questioning where this game is heading hardly qualifies as "freaking out". It's just that Bioware keeps altering the deal and at this rate, I guess we just have to pray for them NOT to alter it any further.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I'm calm. Just pointing out stuff as I see it. :o

Regardless, people questioning where this game is heading hardly qualifies as "freaking out". It's just that Bioware keeps altering the deal and at this rate, I guess we just have to pray for them NOT to alter it any further.

I think Bioware is counting on the Makeb-style expansion to save them. I DO have a feeling it will be 3 planets, not just 1.

What will be fascinating is once the 3 planets we aren't allowed to talk about yet are released, that will mark the very end of what the old team worked on - I take that back, Yavin is still at large but was in a very early stage.

But it really will be interesting to see what the team does, because from my perspective, it seems like they are trying to milk the game for all its worth leading up to that expansion, and if that's the case, it forecasts to me a lack of confidence that the new team will be able to produce something truly worthwhile once it is squarely on their shoulders, at least from an ongoing content standpoint.

I think Bioware is counting on the Makeb-style expansion to save them. I DO have a feeling it will be 3 planets, not just 1.

What will be fascinating is once the 3 planets we aren't allowed to talk about yet are released, that will mark the very end of what the old team worked on - I take that back, Yavin is still at large but was in a very early stage.

But it really will be interesting to see what the team does, because from my perspective, it seems like they are trying to milk the game for all its worth leading up to that expansion, and if that's the case, it forecasts to me a lack of confidence that the new team will be able to produce something truly worthwhile once it is squarely on their shoulders, at least from an ongoing content standpoint.

I've been saying that for a while now, mostly based on the "findings" of everyone's special friend on that lovely website I'll designate as "R". :p

Regardless, even if they do come to release that stuff, class stories aside, they still have a few leftovers, namely...

The Imperial Warlord, which would have Grand Moff Regus against both the Republic and Empire.

I've been saying that for a while now, mostly based on the "findings" of everyone's special friend on that lovely website I'll designate as "R". :p

Regardless, even if they do come to release that stuff, class stories aside, they still have a few leftovers, namely...

The Imperial Warlord, which would have Grand Moff Regus against both the Republic and Empire.

Would be Awesome if they had a plan in place to make this a single player game if things go dire. I love this game and would rather not see all my investment into it go poof.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.