Required 2018 Expertise for Ranked Q

xMaranathax

Giving up less than 1% DR is no huge loss, in fact neither you nor your healers will ever be able to tell the difference. Also what on earth do you mean by he is "making assumptions on damage that your opponent is also running the same 1930 level of expertise" He was calculating what would provide the maximum damage output, which will always result in more damage regardless of the opponent's mitigation.

^^^This

But on a side note my EXP DR @ 1930 is 36.46%, a bit over 1%. As a DPS, my role is to deal MAX damage. 2018 hits me a bit harder, 1930 hits opponents a lot harder. Hopefully we can now put this to bed...

I can't be arsed to do your calculations, so I'll accept them as true. the proposal for a 2018 exp minimum remains valid: it prevents ppl from abusing pve weapons in pvp (where the gear is not available via pvp channels).

Well that's a different debate. The OP was about people showing up with significantly less EXP than 1900. I have no problem with removing bolster from ranked, but I just play with the cards I am dealt. FYI I am not fully min/max on the other slots, but I did another trade and now roll with a Ravage @8798 with EXP @1927(57.3%)

Edited by L-RANDLE

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The damage tooltip number does not tell the whole story.

Every % of expertise you sacrifice, you give your opponent an edge in their defensive stat. There is going to be a critical value where sacrificing expertise for any other stat is going to actually result in either no gain in damage output, or an actual loss.

I'm on my phone so can't do the math, but I'm fairly certain that said critical value would be pretty close to max.

edit: Home now, lets see the difference. This is using numbers from L-Randle's post in the spoiler tag a few posts up.

EXP: 1930(57.38%)

Rav: 8701(13694)*

Mass: 2641(4156)

*1st off it's worth noting that targets with the same expertise value cancel out each other's offensive and defensive PvP bonus, so you really should not be adding the 57.38% to that base value.

If you attack a target with 2018 expertise, this is what that tooltip becomes (assuming 0 armor for the sake of maths): (8701) * (1+.5738) * (1-.3750) = 8558

At that point it is still more, but what you are showing is not a proper representation of what is going on in combat.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

I'm not sure this discussion is really valid, since the developers, through Musco, have already made it abundantly clear that they want to remove all barriers to participation in ranked pvp. They haven't implemented any gear checks in 2.5 years for anything, pvp or pve.

Yeah, valor is the last thing I would suggest to fix anything PvP.

I'd say MVP votes would be the last thing. Valor would be right behind it though.

More on topic. While I rarely play ranked PvP (haven't in several months at all, and even then only a handful of times). I agree that ranked is not the "try it out" phase. If you're "trying out" ranked, you should have played enough unranked to gear yourself up to at least the lowest gear set you can buy and hopefully in doing so have figured out how to play your class in PvP as it's a whole different world than PvE or even unranked PvP. I do dislike the attitude that you have to have stims on for ranked.

I also don't think ranked PvP should have bolster, this is the big leagues, be ready or become a puddle.

Simple solution:

Make expertise benefits ramp up, like a curved graph.

For instance 0-1000 expertise might give you 0-20% damage bonus to players. 1980-2018 exp might give you 40-60% bonus damage to players. These are examples.

This way, even removing anything in favor of a PVE piece would hurt you dramatically.