Is this Game Canon

I was listening to an AMC movie talk YouTube video, (to find out the latest news on a Justice League movie that Warner Brothers confirmed they will make) but there was an interesting segment about SW.

Pretty much Lucas Films said the only things canon up till now are the 6 films and Clone Wars. And, published SW content from now on (films, novels, games, etc) will be canon.

My question is since this game is ever evolving and will continue to be updated after the announcement, is SWOTR canon? And if this game is canon, it should be safe to say that Knights of the Old Republic (1 & 2) are canon as well.

If KOTOR and SWTOR are not canon, then in my opinion, Lucas Films just lost major credibility points because KOTOR was the best SW content that came out since the original trilogy. They should have made KOTOR the prequel movies instead of...well I'll just stop about that right here.

So, is SWTOR canon?

I was listening to an AMC movie talk YouTube video, (to find out the latest news on a Justice League movie that Warner Brothers confirmed they will make) but there was an interesting segment about SW.

Pretty much Lucas Films said the only things canon up till now are the 6 films and Clone Wars. And, published SW content from now on (films, novels, games, etc) will be canon.

My question is since this game is ever evolving and will continue to be updated after the announcement, is SWOTR canon? And if this game is canon, it should be safe to say that Knights of the Old Republic (1 & 2) are canon as well.

If KOTOR and SWTOR are not canon, then in my opinion, Lucas Films just lost major credibility points because KOTOR was the best SW content that came out since the original trilogy. They should have made KOTOR the prequel movies instead of...well I'll just stop about that right here.

So, is SWTOR canon?

Short answer: probably not Canon but we haven't had a 100% definitive announcement on SWTOR in particular.

Disney/LucasArt's Official Announcement and a Twitter Q&A with one of LucasBooks' executives said that only the Movies and the Clone Wars show are Canon from what came before, and that everything they put out from this time forward (including all new novels, video games, comics, etc.) will be Canon. Because SWTOR is an on-going project, there is a lot of speculation going around.

Long Answer: See this long thread discussing exactly this topic: Is SWTOR Part of New "Legends"? Or New Canon?

Edited by DarthDymond

This game is canon until something definitively considered canon (like a movie) contradicts something in it.

Welcome to the Star Trek EU rules. Take a deep breath, you'll survive.... Until J.J. takes a dump on everything you hold dear in the next movie.

- Arcada

This game is canon until something definitively considered canon (like a movie) contradicts something in it.

Welcome to the Star Trek EU rules. Take a deep breath, you'll survive.... Until J.J. takes a dump on everything you hold dear in the next movie.

- Arcada

That's how it worked before.......

- Arcada

wrong. this game along with all EU material was never real canon. the only real canon came from the movies, TCW or if lucas said something was canon. all EU material was c-canon or below that, which meant it only applied to other EU material and not to anything lucas decided to do.

This game is canon.

Remember the phrase from the prequels: "We didnt have that much action since the Old Republic" -about the Clone Wars.

There either was Mace or Yoda, but that instatly makes this game canon.

Edited by ZahirS

This game is canon.

Remember the phrase from the prequels: "We didnt have that much action since the Old Republic" -about the Clone Wars.

There either was Mace or Yoda, but that instatly makes this game canon.

I don't remember anything like that. Link?

Got it here, Aurbere.

Padme: If the Senate votes to create an army, I'm sure it's going to push us into a civil war.

Gov. Sio Bibble: It's unthinkable! There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic!

On the Clone Wars.

Alec Guiness: The Only Obi Wan

Your father's lightsaber.[Hands it to Luke] This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. [Luke turns it on and begins swinging it around while Ben continues.] An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire..

Well, that's an easy one. They both refer to the Ruusan Reformations.

Now you know Zahir will just argue that you are wrong, lol. Yes, Zahir, the Reformations is what was being referred to. That took place 1,000 BBY. It has nothing to do with the SWTOR time period. The game is currently NON-canon unless stated otherwise.

I don't remember anything like that. Link?

If u take the time and watch 'A new Hope' when Luke, after being attacked by sand people, and follow Ben Kenobi (Obi-Wan) to his hut, where Ben present Luke with his fathers Lightsaber, Ben tells of a time before the Empire, the time of The Old Republic, when Jedis in thousands watch over and preserved Peace across the galaxy*. The Jedi Purge as Sidious takes control marks the end of the Golden Ages of The Old Republic**.

*1977, A New Hope

**2007, 'Jedi vs. Sith, The Essential Guide to the Force' Red. Windham, R. , Copyright, Lucas Film Ltd

If u take the time and watch 'A new Hope' when Luke, after being attacked by sand people, and follow Ben Kenobi (Obi-Wan) to his hut, where Ben present Luke with his fathers Lightsaber, Ben tells of a time before the Empire, the time of The Old Republic, when Jedis in thousands watch over and preserved Peace across the galaxy*. The Jedi Purge as Sidious takes control marks the end of the Golden Ages of The Old Republic**.

*1977, A New Hope

**2007, 'Jedi vs. Sith, The Essential Guide to the Force' Red. Windham, R. , Copyright, Lucas Film Ltd

I am aware of the quotes. I do own every release of the movies. What I was contending was that there is a quote referring to the actual Old Republic era, not the Ruusan Reformations.

Actually SWTOR now forms part of Legends and does quality as part of canon.

Alec Guiness quote, posted after me wasnt tied to Russan Reformation because he specifically talks about the time period SWTOR takes place in.

Thats not in the New essential guide to the Force.

Actually the game is in a huge grey area, it's not known if it's canon or not. Keep in mind in Jennifer Heddle's tweet when asked about the videogames specifically she said not to take what she says about them 100 percent just yet since they're a huge grey area, especially TOR since it's an ongoing project

Actually SWTOR now forms part of Legends and does quality as part of canon.

Alec Guiness quote, posted after me wasnt tied to Russan Reformation because he specifically talks about the time period SWTOR takes place in.

Thats not in the New essential guide to the Force.

Did it ever occur to you that Ben Kenobi was maybe, just maybe, referring to the time not even two decades prior? He was referring to the events from the Ruusan Reformations to the events of Revenge of the Sith.

Also, considering the release date of SWTOR and the Essential Guide to the Force, I'm 99% positive that SWTOR would not be referenced by that particular book (which I own).

I'm quite certain that nothing prior to the Ruusan Reformations/New Sith Wars is referenced in the movies.

Old Republic>Russan Reformation>Star Wars episode 1

Even if Obi Wan meant the Russan Reformation, everything before is continuity or S-cannon Legends.

We know he did. Stuff like this and the quote from Sio Bibble were cleared up a very long time ago.

We know he did. Stuff like this and the quote from Sio Bibble were cleared up a very long time ago.

You dont understand,

Old republic was a term used to classify KOTOR era, Russan takes place after and by then the code changed but thats it, Old republic was mentioned in the movies hence cannon.

SWTOR>Russan Reform in cannon level.

Edited by ZahirS

You dont understand,

Old republic was a term used to classify KOTOR era, Russan takes place after and by then the code changed but thats it, Old republic was mentioned in the movies hence cannon.

SWTOR>Russan Reform in cannon level.

/facepalm

No, I... no. I honestly don't know how to deal with so much wrong.

/facepalm

Just ignore him. He will argue that what he says is right no matter how many facts you present that prove him wrong. let the guy spout his nonsense and allow him to show what kind of fool he is. Not worth your time and energy, not to mention mental stability, to argue with him. You can't fix stupid.

Just ignore him. He will argue that what he says is right no matter how many facts you present that prove him wrong. let the guy spout his nonsense and allow him to show what kind of fool he is. Not worth your time and energy, not to mention mental stability, to argue with him. You can't fix stupid.

What facts also reported.

His quote is wrong, editted and not verifiable.

Edited by ZahirS

/facepalm

The referral to the old republic in EP 4 stands alone, as it is mentioned in the movie it is Canon at the very absolute level, also known as G - level, hence is the concept of the old republic Canon.

The Ruusan reformation and its tie to explain the old republic is very well explained here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruusan_Reformation

The question isn't whether the old republic is Canon or not that is established with out a doubt, the question is whether swtor version of the old republic is canon or not, which it has been at C - level until recent events(Read; Disney EU purge).

The referral to the old republic in EP 4 stands alone, as it is mentioned in the movie it is Canon at the very absolute level, also known as G - level, hence is the concept of the old republic Canon.

The Ruusan reformation and its tie to explain the old republic is very well explained here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruusan_Reformation

The question isn't whether the old republic is Canon or not that is established with out a doubt, the question is whether swtor version of the old republic is canon or not, which it has been at C - level until recent events(Read; Disney EU purge).

Thanks man finally someone that thinks around here.

Edited by ZahirS

The canonicity of the Old Republic is unquestionable, it is well estabilished in various moments on the official canon sources that there was a Republic before the Ruusan reformation.

About this game, as posted in another topic, we can consider it's the only "gray" piece of the old EU, that means it was not estabilished as part of the official canon, either it was confirmed as part of it. The final answer, I think, will come with the next expansion. If the story group is credited, like it was on Galactic Starfighter, on the game credits, then I think it's safe to say that it is part of canon.

Edited by marcelo_sdk

He's referring to the Old Republic, yes, but that does not mean he is referring to TOR and KOTOR. He mentioned nothing specific.