The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

More Monthly Coins OR Lower Prices For Subs. Pick One!

OK before anybody makes a comment about it, yes. I realize that Bioware doesn't have to give us anything in terms of a monthly cartel coin grant. I know that. I understand that. The point that I'd like to make with this thread is that I'd almost rather they didn't give us anything at all with how much they charge us for things. And I'm not even talking about buying packs or equipment directly from the market. Things like, 600 CC's to unlock a mount from collections? 450 CC's for a color crystal? 60 for an emote. AN EMOTE. It's highway robbery meets getting nickeled and dimed.

So Bioware, you need to do one of the following:

1 - Double the CC monthly grant given from being a sub and (if applicable) having the security key.

OR

2 - Institute a permanent price reduction on anything and everything that costs us CC's for subs. No less than 50% off. This should stack on top of any sale prices you put up from week to week.

OK before anybody makes a comment about it, yes. I realize that Bioware doesn't have to give us anything in terms of a monthly cartel coin grant. I know that. I understand that. The point that I'd like to make with this thread is that I'd almost rather they didn't give us anything at all with how much they charge us for things. And I'm not even talking about buying packs or equipment directly from the market. Things like, 600 CC's to unlock a mount from collections? 450 CC's for a color crystal? 60 for an emote. AN EMOTE. It's highway robbery meets getting nickeled and dimed.

So Bioware, you need to do one of the following:

1 - Double the CC monthly grant given from being a sub and (if applicable) having the security key.

OR

2 - Institute a permanent price reduction on anything and everything that costs us CC's for subs. No less than 50% off. This should stack on top of any sale prices you put up from week to week.

Yeah, or increase the Monthly Grant of Cartel Coins based on how long one has been a subscriber. Meaning, that the longer that a player has been a subscriber, the more Cartel Coins they would receive.

Also, it would be nice if items that we have in our collections could be unlocked for fewer Cartel Coins as well.

I always found it funny that, if I buy directly, I`d get about 2000 CC`s per month, where NOW, my 15 bucks give me only 500. It`s also funny how they make the conversion, as 15 bucks is 10.80 euro, not 12.99, which amounts to 18 bucks.

My REAL spent money are 2 bucks short of 2400 CC per month. Really funny math if you`d ask me.

Edited by Styxx

A lot of that stuff sells for cheap on the GTN after its been out a while. I've gotten a ton of things I wanted by just paying credits.

Some of it and some of it does not. But that's not the issue imo. The issue is, the amount of stuff they put up on the market at the rate they put it out far exceeds the amount of coins we receive on a monthly basis. They already get a sub fee out of us, they shouldn't be trying to push us to buy CC's on top of it.

You do realize how much money these guys actually generate from the CM? They're already doing a nice thing by going "thank you for not being a cheap SOB and subbing here's some CCs for you." The CM is working good for them and they are being nice with complimentary ccs. They don't HAVE to give you anything, they choose to. They generate a lot of revenue from the CM, where's the motivation to give you MORE free CCs? Edited by DeltaBos

You do realize how much money these guys actually generate from the CM? They're already doing a nice thing by going "thank you for not being a cheap SOB and subbing here's some CCs for you." The CM is working good for them and they are being nice with complimentary ccs. They don't HAVE to give you anything, they choose to. They generate a lot of revenue from the CM, where's the motivation to give you MORE free CCs?

Perhaps you should read what I wrote instead of just making presumptions from the title alone, or reading partway through and stopping before the end. They put so much in, and charge so much and give us so little that it's insulting really. I'd almost feel better not getting coins at all if this is how they choose to run the cartel market. Being charged so much for items themselves, then being nickeled and dimed elsewhere like for unlocks from collections, or getting a freaking haircut is a disgusting business practice.

Edited by Korithras

People keep making the mistake of thinking that their $15/month sub should equate to $15 worth of cc. That's not what your sub fee is for. If having unlimited access to all game content, and associated character perks, are not worth the $15 to you, then I suggest going F2P and then buying $15 of cc if that's your priority. Edited by HeatRacer

Perhaps you should read what I wrote instead of just making presumptions from the title alone, or reading partway through and stopping before the end. They put so much in, and charge so much and give us so little that it's insulting really. I'd almost feel better not getting coins at all if this is how they choose to run the cartel market. Being charged so much for items themselves, then being nickeled and dimed elsewhere like for unlocks from collections, or getting a freaking haircut is a disgusting business practice.

Point is, they are doing a nice thing giving you some CCs. It's not like you have to buy everything in the cartel market. Their revenue would take a HUGE drop if they gave us more CCs. A discount for subs I can see would be reasonable, but the fact is 500 CCs a month is a gift. Why are prices high? Because that's where they make their money. That 15 dollars a month is for access to the game, Ops, unlimited FPs, WZs, etc, not for you to get all the cool stuff in the CM. The CM is a bonus and if you want to get the stuff in it than don't be cheap and go buy yourself some CCs, or go crank out dailies and go buy it of the gtn.

Edited by DeltaBos

A speeder costs about £12 when buying CC directly...

600 CC a month (key and sub) is a good amount. A species a month, character slot, legacy perk...

An outfit costs 1,440 CC's if not on sale. A starfighter costs 1,800 CC's if it's not on sale. So for simple things like that, we're talking 2-3 months worth of CC's for one item.

I think BW has done a really fair job of giving us monthly CC and offering many discounts on various items. Since most things are available on the GTN I don't have a problem with CM prices. I think some people just want everything to be handed to them .

An outfit costs 1,440 CC's if not on sale. A starfighter costs 1,800 CC's if it's not on sale. So for simple things like that, we're talking 2-3 months worth of CC's for one item.

How would Bioware make money if they simply just gave enough CC to buy whatever the hell they want? I can't say I would be opposed to the idea as a consumer but business wise, it wouldn't make sense, especially since it generated so much income last year.

Edited by Nickious

OK before anybody makes a comment about it, yes. I realize that Bioware doesn't have to give us anything in terms of a monthly cartel coin grant.

Frankly I'd like to see it be like other subscription based MMO's (ie WoW), where we aren't paying for any of this stuff, except for mounts and pets. It's bad enough having to pay additional money to get extra auction slots ***.

How would Bioware make money if they simply just gave enough CC to buy whatever the hell they want? I can't say I would be opposed to the idea as a consumer but business wise, it wouldn't make sense, especially since it generated so much income last year.

The answer to your question is : Blizzard is making money from WoW subscriptions even though they give you everything for "free" (except for Blizzard Store mounts & pets).

Churning out cartel market items is the equivalent of patching a sinking ship to stay afloat - I love SWTOR so I'd prefer a better long term strategy in terms of keeping this game up and running (ie stable from business standpoint), even if that mean less content less often.

You can only recolor a Varactyl mount so many times before people start to notice, and stop playing the Cartel Market game.

Honestly i'd prefer if there was no cartel coins for subs. Just reduce the subprice by half. Maybe that would also lower cartel prices abit over time since there would be no free CC with subs. (yes i know it's not actually free)

Point is, they are doing a nice thing giving you some CCs. It's not like you have to buy everything in the cartel market. Their revenue would take a HUGE drop if they gave us more CCs. A discount for subs I can see would be reasonable, but the fact is 500 CCs a month is a gift. Why are prices high? Because that's where they make their money. That 15 dollars a month is for access to the game, Ops, unlimited FPs, WZs, etc, not for you to get all the cool stuff in the CM. The CM is a bonus and if you want to get the stuff in it than don't be cheap and go buy yourself some CCs, or go crank out dailies and go buy it of the gtn.

But it's not a gift though.

$15/month=500 CCs (+100 cc if you have the security key).

If you stop paying the $15 per month, that "gift" of 500 ccs goes away.

The answer to your question is : Blizzard is making money from WoW subscriptions even though they give you everything for "free" (except for Blizzard Store mounts & pets).

Churning out cartel market items is the equivalent of patching a sinking ship to stay afloat - I love SWTOR so I'd prefer a better long term strategy in terms of keeping this game up and running (ie stable from business standpoint), even if that mean less content less often.

You can only recolor a Varactyl mount so many times before people start to notice, and stop playing the Cartel Market game.

Wow has millions in more subs, with alot more people on the job taking care of it to churn out such content. They could afford such a strategy and still make such a great profit but I seriously doubt that EA would do they same, when as much as I hate to say it, TOR is having very slow but gradual decline in sub population. Maybe it might have worked in the beginning but its not going convince many people to suddenly come back because "oh look I get more stuff for free as sub".

Edited by Nickious

But it's not a gift though.

$15/month=500 CCs (+100 cc if you have the security key).

If you stop paying the $15 per month, that "gift" of 500 ccs goes away.

You can either see it as a 'gift' for your continued sub, or you can see it as your allotted amount for your sub fee. It ultimately matters very little.