Developers abandoning Galactic Starfighter

I love the idea of roaming space combat.

I do not have any interest in PvP.

That's all personally — if there were PvE missions with storyline behind them, I'd be all over it. I don't think there's anything wrong with PvP and I understand why other people enjoy it, it's just not of any interest to me personally so I basically take GSF off my radar in terms of 'things to do'.

I agree 100%. PvE missions would totally make me play that part of the game. Even playing it all to myself I'd still buy fancy stuff to create my own pimped fleet. For now I just use the tutorial as mini-game. :p </hijack>

Edited by KyaniteD

I love the idea of roaming space combat.

I do not have any interest in PvP.

That's all personally — if there were PvE missions with storyline behind them, I'd be all over it. I don't think there's anything wrong with PvP and I understand why other people enjoy it, it's just not of any interest to me personally so I basically take GSF off my radar in terms of 'things to do'.

This, and Joystick support and I'd probably play it a lot more, though with Joystick support I'd probably play the PvP more as well.

Abandoned, not sure but it seems there won't be anything else than minor changes or CC stuff for GSF for a long time.

Then personally I don't mind as it's not as good a the good old X-Wing series and the PvE game play is way too off the PvP one.

In a way the system is screwed. They can't improve both of them at the same time and they can't bring players from PvE to PvP nor PvP to PvE.

They did the wrong thing with starfighter anyway, should have had it in the vein of Star Wars Battlefront in conjunction with guild ships which would have been epic, but then the biggest flaw of this game is the engines complete inability to have a reasonable amount of people in the same place.

Still no surprise in them abandoning it, its all they do, spend time on a new shiny then let it go.

They did the wrong thing with starfighter anyway, should have had it in the vein of Star Wars Battlefront in conjunction with guild ships which would have been epic, but then the biggest flaw of this game is the engines complete inability to have a reasonable amount of people in the same place.

Still no surprise in them abandoning it, its all they do, spend time on a new shiny then let it go.

they are not abandoning it, GSF has been a large part of the last several major updates, its even getting more ships in 2.8 anyway, they have just shifted focus from everything to the next 2 expansions so those are done right and come in before years end.

Edited by Sangrar

They are abandoning it because only 20 people per server actually play that steaming nugget of crap. GSF comes right in about 117th most popular thing to do in SWTOR right behind #116" People who stand on fleet for the sole purpose of looking out the windows and counting the stars."

Some folks have flirted with what needs to be done in this thread, I would like to voice my opinion outright. Short version...think BF2.

1) Reduce the reticule movement area down to around 2 centimeters wide, increase turning speed, enable joystick control as an option.

2) Create very low poly standard appearance characters with basic animations, add ground combat ability, have us jump into ships instead of simply spawning into the zone.

3) Add capital ships with turrets that can be manned and stations that can be controlled or destroyed, and allow players to fight one another on foot using simplified attacks.

4) Reduce the effect of upgrades by about a 40 percent nerf at the top, reducing the nerf as you drop down in upgrade level until you hit the bottom. This will drastically reduce the amount of damage that top level players would deal, and level the playing field across the board.

All four changes would go a LONG way toward making the feature much more enjoyable for the masses. PVE would be great, but I think the changes above would be the key to increasing participation in a resounding way.

This is how, IMO, the feature should have launched. IMO it is currently still in a weak beta state.

Edited by LordArtemis

I wouldn't say bomber are huge balance issues. They just change how strategy work. You can still win matches against bomber just need to be smart about it

Yes, they were a huge balance issue. They always will be. Same with the other ships. Just 'cause the devs are not adding a new ship right this moment doesn't mean they are "abandoning it". I still haven't played the C&C ships yet and those were added like a month ago.

they are not abandoning it,
they already have. The team who developed GSF got reassigned to work on Strongholds which puts GSF effectively in maintance mode. There wont be any new maps or game modes (not even the one left they build pre launch). The staelth ships were axed because some rebalancing whould have been neccessary and theres nobody around anymore to do it.

And this wont change once Strongholds gets out since they hope to make much more money from selling housing cartel packs tha from selling ship dyes...

I don't think PvP in any form ever has been or ever will be a big focus of this game. I know there are big PvP fans out there who don't like this, but that seems to be the way it is. Honestly, I'm not anti-PvP myself, but if it comes to the point where they'd have to sacrifice other aspects of the game to build up GSF, I have no problem with it falling by the wayside.