The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

None-Class Related Cosmetic weapons?

Alixen

The animations are there, and there is no good reason why my Sentinel shouldn't be able to pick up a blaster pistol and be able to pull the trigger for 1-30 damage. It's hardly something that could be exploited or some such, but it would have a great deal of use in roleplay.

Same for other classes. What if you want to roleplay as a Jedi, but the class you took to 55 and have an attachment to is a Smuggler/Trooper? You can get robes... but not a toy Lightsaber, because you don't have the pre-req skill?

When I next get my subscriber coin payment, I plan to buy the republic trooper armor for my frail Consular, if only because it was something that never made sense for a Jedi fighting on the front lines to wear the equivalent of ceremonial gown. Something the Clone Wars did very right, when it suited it. It would be nice to be able to add a blaster rifle to that purchase for roleplay.

Close your eyes and pretend.

In the meantime, there are some abilities tied to a specific weapon and it would be far from simple to recode similar animations to ALL the weapon classes.

Edited by Styxx

Agreed. Both my Agent AND my Trooper use a pistol in 90% of their cut-scenes. I'd like to know where they hide it when it returns to gameplay, because it sure as hell isn't equipped or in my inventory! *sigh*

Blaster pistols should be usable by everyone, or maybe even have it as a trainable skill? Again, as the OP says, give it a simple "Basic" attack that does little damage. We're not asking for a complete overhaul of abilities so we can have a good ol' fashioned shoot out with our Jedi, just the ability to use it.

As for lightsabers... keep them for the Force users, let the non force users gain the vibroblade / electrostaff skills. And while your at it, give us more damned electrostaff models! *fist shake* >.<

Close your eyes and pretend.

In the meantime, there are some abilities tied to a specific weapon and it would be far from simple to recode similar animations to ALL the weapon classes.

Hm, I do believe you missed what I am saying. I never asked to be able to use abilities, just hold the weapon and auto attack.

Lord of the Rings Online even has joke/fluff weapons, such as forks, spades and so forth. They do 1-2 damage.

I suggested something similar. Would be cool to wield bowcasters or other special weapons not available to our class. Don't even think the simple attack is a necessity, would be nice, but I would not mind it having a similar effect to being unarmed.

I don't see why you'd need to visually see a blaster to RP with it. That'd be an extra coding and debugging work which could be avoided by simply doing what we RP'ers have done from square one: Pretend.

Let's rather stick to implementing traditional Jedi and Sith robes and bring us Forged Alliances part 2, rather than spend time on such a minor cosmetic change.

I don't see why you'd need to visually see a blaster to RP with it. That'd be an extra coding and debugging work which could be avoided by simply doing what we RP'ers have done from square one: Pretend.

Let's rather stick to implementing traditional Jedi and Sith robes and bring us Forged Alliances part 2, rather than spend time on such a minor cosmetic change.

I don't understand this mentality. There's more than one person working on SWTOR and this is a suggestion forum. Them adding a cosmetic change won't halt development of sith robes or story quests

I don't understand this mentality. There's more than one person working on SWTOR and this is a suggestion forum. Them adding a cosmetic change won't halt development of sith robes or story quests

What's not to understand about this mentality?

There's more than one person working on this game, yes. But there's not an infinite number of people working on it. How many people do you think it'd take to code something like that? Do you think one person simply pulls the switch and suddenly classes can equip blasters?

There are bugfixes to do, there are things to consider. Saying: "Yeah, there'll be basically just one guy working on it for two days!" is simply wrong. The simple answer is this: There are more pressing concerns to adress than the need of (apparently as of now 5) people wanting to use a blaster and an auto attack on their Jedi. There's a solution that requires no additional line of code at all: Write an emote about it.

This is a suggestion forum. I disagree with your suggestion. This is not only to VOICE your suggestions but also to discuss them. If your suggestion couldn't be done any other way, I'd agree, cosmetics are always nice. But for this: Just write an emote. You're an RPer. Deal with it. Because this feature would be of no use to anyone but an RPer.

Edited by Alssaran

There's more than one person working on this game, yes. But there's not an infinite number of people working on it. How many people do you think it'd take to code something like that? Do you think one person simply pulls the switch and suddenly classes can equip blasters?

There are bugfixes to do, there are things to consider. Saying: "Yeah, there'll be basically just one guy working on it for two days!" is simply wrong. The simple answer is this: There are more pressing concerns to adress than the need of (apparently as of now 5) people wanting to use a blaster and an auto attack on their Jedi. There's a solution that requires no additional line of code at all: Write an emote about it.

This is a suggestion forum. I disagree with your suggestion. This is not only to VOICE your suggestions but also to discuss them. If your suggestion couldn't be done any other way, I'd agree, cosmetics are always nice. But for this: Just write an emote. You're an RPer. Deal with it. Because this feature would be of no use to anyone but an RPer.

Fair enough, though i'm unsure why the approach you are using is quite so needlessly confrontational and dismissive. It doesn't exactly warm people to your opinion, nor increase credibility. 'Deal with it'? You would think we were talking about a change that would be the equivalent of the NGE.

I stand by my suggestion. If I wanted to just use my imagination, I wouldn't be playing an MMO, i'd be playing Edge of the Empire or Star wards D20 with my friends. Not paying a sub and for cartel coins to a visual and interactive medium, and making such a request on a forum designed specifically for this purpose and not bug squashing.

Only of use to RPers. Hm, have you checked the Market recently? A small but respectable portion of the items are for RPers.

Perhaps a little more diplomacy in your approach? I can see your point, but the manner of you posts makes me want to argue on principle or just not respond, the latter of which i'd choose as I have no particular desire to derail the thread. That's not an attack by any means, just letting you know how it came across to me.

I agree with this sentiment. Plus, there's balance issues with giving melee classes a free ranged attack: even if it's weak, it would still interrupt a node cap in pvp from a distance they shouldn't be able to.

As the person before me mentioned, we do not only have the bugs and coding issue, we also have the imbalance issue. A range attack will distrubt the capturing of a point on Alderaan or Novare. Now, a Jedi Knight/Sith Juggernaut is not supposed to have this one skill. It might sound minor, but one possibility to stop a capture from range is a considerable advantage.

Perhaps a little more diplomacy in your approach?

It's hardly something that could be exploited or some such, but it would have a great deal of use in roleplay.

I've quoted why I didn't go diplomatic to this issue. You're wrong in your first statement. As I mentioned above, and also my foreposter actually suggested first, the idea 'can' be exploited. Even if it seems minor, even if it's almost small...the possibility is there. Secondly: I'm an RP'er myself. So, don't take what I say as a: "I don't care for you RPers!". I'm doing PnP, LARP, and MMO RP for close to 8 years now. Frankly, I don't understand what you want to gain from this as an RPer. What is this 'Little shot' going to be a gain for? What can you actually achieve from this what an emote could not? A 'visual confirmation' that you hold a blaster? Show people that you 'ARE' an RPer, that you don't need a visual confirmation for something.

That's the reason my response was pretty harsh and undiplomatic: There is a perfectly fine solution for your problem, at least if you're an RPer, in the game. There's no need to pour additional manpower into it.

I don't mind the idea that there's an equipment slot that allows you to EQUIP a blaster to your hip. That's alright. But I don't see any point in using it.

Edited by Alssaran

I agree with this sentiment. Plus, there's balance issues with giving melee classes a free ranged attack: even if it's weak, it would still interrupt a node cap in pvp from a distance they shouldn't be able to.

As the person before me mentioned, we do not only have the bugs and coding issue, we also have the imbalance issue. A range attack will distrubt the capturing of a point on Alderaan or Novare. Now, a Jedi Knight/Sith Juggernaut is not supposed to have this one skill. It might sound minor, but one possibility to stop a capture from range is a considerable advantage.

Thats a fair point, and something I hadn't considered. Actually making it is an improvement over just being dismissive.

I've quoted why I didn't go diplomatic to this issue. You're wrong in your first statement. As I mentioned above, and also my foreposter actually suggested first, the idea 'can' be exploited. Even if it seems minor, even if it's almost small...the possibility is there. Secondly: I'm an RP'er myself. So, don't take what I say as a: "I don't care for you RPers!". I'm doing PnP, LARP, and MMO RP for close to 8 years now. Frankly, I don't understand what you want to gain from this as an RPer. What is this 'Little shot' going to be a gain for? What can you actually achieve from this what an emote could not? A 'visual confirmation' that you hold a blaster? Show people that you 'ARE' an RPer, that you don't need a visual confirmation for something.

The use would be to take potshots at enemies, for fighting in low-level areas while roleplaying. I like to roleplay while interacting with what the devs gave us, rather than cloistered away in a cantina or the Jedi Temple. Or to take potshots in a duel, purely for the purpose of visually playing out a fight. Even just being able to draw it, and take the stance.

I can only repeat what I said before: If I wanted to just use my imagination, I wouldn't be playing an MMO, i'd be playing Edge of the Empire or Star wards D20 with my friends. Not paying a sub and for cartel coins to a visual and interactive medium, and making such a request on a forum designed specifically for this purpose and not bug squashing.

I can see the point about the above, however, and that would be an issue that would have to be thought through first.

I don't mind the idea that there's an equipment slot that allows you to EQUIP a blaster to your hip. That's alright. But I don't see any point in using it.

Aren't there already belts that seem to ahve holstered blasters? I'm pretty sure there are ones with lightsabers on them. Either way, I see your point, but I can see a point to using it - and I listed a couple above.

Thats for explaining your reasoning. I disagree, except the exploit issue which would have to be worked around, but see where you are coming from.

Small problem with this logic. They'd need to equip the ranged weapon in the first place to do this, which would put them in combat and therefore, preventing them from swapping to their melee. So, in essence... they'd be f**ked.

In all honesty? I really doubt this requires much coding at all. Sith / Jedi gain the proficiency to equip both Lightsabers and Vibroblades. Troopers / Agents get the proficiency to use Blaster Rifles. The only thing stopping them from equipping Sniper Rifles / Assault Cannons is the lack of proficiency to use it. I can use a Blaster and Sniper Rifles in exactly the same way, the only thing that stops me using all the abilities of a Sniper with a Blaster Rifle is the skill requirements which say "Requires a Sniper Rifle". Much like back in the day some abilities that Shadows / Assassins had could only be used with a Double Bladed Lightsaber equipped, not an Electrostaff.

All Bioware need to do (for example) is apply the Blaster Pistol weapon proficiency to the Agent so they can equip them. The only real work is adding in the simple "auto attack" to enable them to shoot it. Or to make things easy, allow their "auto attack" to include Blaster Pistols since the same attack covers both Blaster and Sniper Rifles.

Yes, there is more than one person working on SWTOR....

But total number is only enough to sustain about 4 projects at a time. They have a total of 6 teams I think. Manpower in Bioware Austin is a bit lacking dear.

Priorities, priorities.

Hm, I do believe you missed what I am saying. I never asked to be able to use abilities, just hold the weapon and auto attack.

Lord of the Rings Online even has joke/fluff weapons, such as forks, spades and so forth. They do 1-2 damage.

As I said, pick a smaller weapon or whatever looks the closest to what you want and pretend. I am not against the RP crowd, but they are a too small of a number to have targeted coding.

You know what would benefit from NOT spending manpower on your idea? - The re-fixing of the "big butt bug" that is back in force, even on PAID CM stuff.

Edited by Styxx

As I said, pick a smaller weapon or whatever looks the closest to what you want and pretend. I am not against the RP crowd, but they are a too small of a number to have targeted coding.

You know what would benefit from NOT spending manpower on your idea? - The re-fixing of the "big butt bug" that is back in force, even on PAID CM stuff.

I'm not going to be bullied or cowed into not sharing my idea because you have a bone to pick with the developers over lingering bugs. Have an issue with them not fixing bugs? Take it to them, in the appropriate thread.

Edit: To be a little less rude. My irritation got the better of me.

Edited by Alixen

I'm not going to be bullied or cowed into not sharing my idea because you have a bone to pick with the developers over lingering bugs. Have an issue with them not fixing bugs? Take it to them, in the appropriate thread.

Edit: To be a little less rude. My irritation got the better of me.

We can argue how useless this idea is for the vast majority of the players and how 1-30 dmg is a very poor option versus what the dmg looks like with the class weapon. We can also argue how this would only benefit RP and not normal gameplay - from the game mechanics`s perspective, that is. We can also argue how you can`t change weapons in combat, so it is the epitome of useless.

SO, you ask time spent on a feature that is only good for make-believe. I`m sorry, but I tolerate RP only when they`re making up stories and /clubdance in skimpy clothes, not when it interferes with my gameplay. And at this point in time, we need all hands on deck on ACTUAL gameplay improvements / features, not make-believe crap. It might be important to you, but, sadly, you are a minority and what you want is the epitome of useless.

Edited by Styxx

We can argue how useless this idea is for the vast majority of the players and how 1-30 dmg is a very poor option versus what the dmg looks like with the class weapon. We can also argue how this would only benefit RP and not normal gameplay - from the game mechanics`s perspective, that is. We can also argue how you can`t change weapons in combat, so it is the epitome of useless.

SO, you ask time spent on a feature that is only good for make-believe. I`m sorry, but I tolerate RP only when they`re making up stories and /clubdance in skimpy clothes, not when it interferes with my gameplay. And at this point in time, we need all hands on deck on ACTUAL gameplay improvements / features, not make-believe crap. It might be important to you, but, sadly, you are a minority and what you want is the epitome of useless.

Fairly certain most Bounty Hunters will disagree with you. Considering they've been wanting rifles since the start. I'm sure they won't mind if it's just the ability to equip it to begin with. They wanna be Boba, not Jango.

How about they just create an emote for pistol draw, knife draw, etc or something like that? That way perhaps there isn't a lot of problems with coding and all that just make the stuff an emote

Because that would require them to actually make the emotes from scratch.

Seriously... Proficiency unlock - Allow everyone's Basic Attack to be activated by any weapon - BOOM! done.

Fairly certain most Bounty Hunters will disagree with you. Considering they've been wanting rifles since the start. I'm sure they won't mind if it's just the ability to equip it to begin with. They wanna be Boba, not Jango.

I have 2 of them - one mercenary and one powertech. I like their animations with pistols. If I want rifles I`ll go make a commando and vanguard.

This being said, yes, an emote would be better.

Because that would require them to actually make the emotes from scratch.

One universal animation per class or weapon is easier than redoing ALL the weapon specific skills for all the weapons

Seriously... Proficiency unlock - Allow everyone's Basic Attack to be activated by any weapon - BOOM! done.

To what purpose, other than show, or make-believe? It has NO PRACTICAL use whatsoever, especially since you can`t change weapons in combat. It will be only a cosmetic useless feature for show / RP.

And it`s not as easy as "BOOM! done", as they will need, at the very least, add the animations to each and every character. Then add weapon animations for off-weapons to skills (like the standard attack for the marauder, for instance, will have to "register" with all the weapon types ingame).

ALL of that work when they can`t fix ONE butt, which is a 3D model or rigging - since August 2013. Sorry, but I want my Unfettered Trench Coat fixed first.

Edited by Styxx