The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When Truth and Legends Mingle: The Old EU and the Future of SW

Sanguiluna

So at long last we've been given a glimpse of the future of the SW canon. The question in this thread is pretty self-explanatory:

Which elements of the "Legends" canon do you hope to see salvaged and kept within the One True Canon?

Personally, having always been an Old Republic era fan, I'm hoping they decide to spare as much of the Old Republic material as possible (from Tales of the Jedi to the Bane trilogy), and only make changes that are absolutely necessary. The Old Republic era is virtually inconsequential to the six films, and unless the new trilogy involves the Jedi and Sith building TARDIS'es and battling each other across time and space, I don't envision the Old Republic posing too much of a problem to Episodes VII-IX.

The second thing I hope for is a final, authoritative Clone Wars timeline. Given how much material there is, as well as how some material overlaps (e.g. the ending to the original Clone Wars cartoon vs. "Labyrinth of Evil"), I'd like to see a definitive history of the conflict that changed galactic history forever. They've confirmed the Clone Wars show as canon, but I'm curious if Lucasfilm's story group plans on taking material from the novels, comics and games and welding it with the cartoon to provide a cohesive bridge between Episode II and III. As awesome as the Clone Wars is, watching that alone between Episodes II and III leaves you with a feeling that there's more that needs to be told.

Which Legends, or Legends material do you guys hope to see brought into the OTC?

Edited by Sanguiluna

Sweet! I noticed that none of the articles I read mentioned this game or the Old Republic era when talking about the "Legends" change, so I was somewhat worried. I can't help wonder if this is going to impact any future narrative content BW decides to pursue (Assuming of course they actually get around to making new narrative content other than new flashpoints and operations and gameplay modes).

On the opposite end, does this mean the Legacy series is now considered a Legend? That era is far enough ahead of the films to be of little consequence to each other, but at the end of the day it IS still considered post-RotJ content, and by the sound of it, anything post-RotJ is considered endangered at this point...

Sweet! I noticed that none of the articles I read mentioned this game or the Old Republic era when talking about the "Legends" change, so I was somewhat worried. I can't help wonder if this is going to impact any future narrative content BW decides to pursue (Assuming of course they actually get around to making new narrative content other than new flashpoints and operations and gameplay modes).

On the opposite end, does this mean the Legacy series is now considered a Legend? That era is far enough ahead of the films to be of little consequence to each other, but at the end of the day it IS still considered post-RotJ content, and by the sound of it, anything post-RotJ is considered endangered at this point...

I wouldn't take SWTOR being "safe" as gospel truth until we get an official word. For now people are just running on the assumption that since the new stuff isn't likely to directly contradict anything so far removed from the movies, that it'll still be left intact.

As for Legacy, that builds so explicitly on the the New Jedi Order, Republic comic series, and other "Legends" works that it is definitely Legends itself. After all, the Yuuzhan Vong are a bigger part of Legacy than they were in the books that take place like 5 years after the end of NJO.

Edited by DarthDymond

Until Story Group say different, anything except Episodes I-VI and "The Clone Wars" is Legend. Including SWTOR, KOTOR, Tales of the Jedi or Bane Trilogy (my favorite era). I was here because of Star Wars, Lore and class stories. I do not like MMO, I'm casual solo player. Bioware did great thing to honor Star Wars Universe and Lore, but now I'm just loosing intrest in it. Maybe they will add some canoncial (movie) planets or rethink status of class stories. If not they will have difficulty to keep me playing.

Until Story Group say different, anything except Episodes I-VI and "The Clone Wars" is Legend. Including SWTOR, KOTOR, Tales of the Jedi or Bane Trilogy (my favorite era). I was here because of Star Wars, Lore and class stories. I do not like MMO, I'm casual solo player. Bioware did great thing to honor Star Wars Universe and Lore, but now I'm just loosing intrest in it. Maybe they will add some canoncial (movie) planets or rethink status of class stories. If not they will have difficulty to keep me playing.

If what was said earlier about TCW being "canon" is true then Bane is still canon because he was featured in TCW, same thing with Korriban.

Here is what we can reasonably assume is safe based on TCW:

-Bane

-The Rule of Two

-Korriban (As Moriband)

Edited by Neltronluur

They've confirmed the Clone Wars show as canon, but I'm curious if Lucasfilm's story group plans on taking material from the novels, comics and games and welding it with the cartoon to provide a cohesive bridge between Episode II and III. As awesome as the Clone Wars is, watching that alone between Episodes II and III leaves you with a feeling that there's more that needs to be told.

Which Legends, or Legends material do you guys hope to see brought into the OTC?

Here is the bit I was speaking of.

If what was said earlier about TCW being "canon" is true then Bane is still canon because he was featured in TCW, same thing with Korriban.

-Bane

-The Rule of Two

-Korriban (As Moriband)

Bane and the rule of two were always considered G-canon as they came from Lucas. Now here is where people are getting confused: 99% of what people know about Bane is from the EU such as through the Darth Bane novels. Well now that those novels are considered "Legends"(aka not canon/seperate universe) most of that character history has been wiped. Pretty much all we know now about Bane was that he was the last surviving Sith and he created the rule of two.

Bane and the rule of two were always considered G-canon as they came from Lucas. Now here is where people are getting confused: 99% of what people know about Bane is from the EU such as through the Darth Bane novels. Well now that those novels are considered "Legends"(aka not canon/seperate universe) most of that character history has been wiped. Pretty much all we know now about Bane was that he was the last surviving Sith and he created the rule of two.
Nowhere has it been stated that "Legends" is no longer part of continuity.

Just because its legend doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Nowhere has it been stated that "Legends" is no longer part of continuity.

Just because its legend doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You must be one of the only few people that think that. The whole point of them moving all the old EU into "legends" is because it isnt canon. The only canon is now the movies + tv shows + new material.

If you however like to think otherwise. Then come join us and prove us otherwise.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/official-sequel-trilogy-expanded-universe-discussion-thread.50006159/page-418

Edited by Girdeux

-Bane

-The Rule of Two

-Korriban (As Moriband)

But now the Bane trilogy is considered "Legend". Meaning that while a Dark Lord named Darth Bane really did exist and that he really did create the Rule of Two, the details of the story--his childhood on Apatros, his use of the Thought Bomb to destroy the Sith, his training of Zannah, etc.--are considered "legend."

It's not all that unheard of: there are many historical figures in real life who also have legendary tales attached to them, like how people once believed that Alexander the Great was a son of Zeus, or how people believe Jesus the carpenter from Nazareth is a deity incarnate who lives in Heaven.

You must be one of the only few people that think that. The whole point of them moving all the old EU into "legends" is because it isnt canon. The only canon is now the movies + tv shows + new material.

If you however like to think otherwise. Then come join us and prove us otherwise.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/official-sequel-trilogy-expanded-universe-discussion-thread.50006159/page-418

A lot of people are getting overexcited and assuming that this is new. Its not, Lucasfilm have always held that true gospel canon is movies + tv shows. But just because its not gospel canon doesn't mean its not part of continuity. All they are doing know is throwing out the hierarchy system with C-Canon, etc. which was always peripheral and just there to resolve disputes and making it so new EU works are also part of gospel/canon. Which is a good thing.

Anything labelled Legends that hasn't been retconned as far as we are currently aware is no more valid that it was before. I've made a longer post about it right here, feel free to act as my representative and post it on the Force.Net.

EDIT: The fact that calling something a "legend" is not the same as calling it untrue reinforces this.

Edited by Beniboybling

But now the Bane trilogy is considered "Legend". Meaning that while a Dark Lord named Darth Bane really did exist and that he really did create the Rule of Two, the details of the story--his childhood on Apatros, his use of the Thought Bomb to destroy the Sith, his training of Zannah, etc.--are considered "legend."

It's not all that unheard of: there are many historical figures in real life who also have legendary tales attached to them, like how people once believed that Alexander the Great was a son of Zeus, or how people believe Jesus the carpenter from Nazareth is a deity incarnate who lives in Heaven.

This, best thing about this is it means we can have multiple conflicting stories but still have a single cohesive continuity. There is only one history of the world, but it still branches out in many conflicting directions.

Anywho on the topic of the thread, I'd really hope that they elevate TOR to canon to be honest. We've already seen endorsement from the Story Group and I'm fairly sure info on the Old Republic is still "fuzzy" at this point.

I think TOR would act as a good cornerstone for the OR era. What with TCW for the Rise of the Empire era, Rebels for the Rebellion era and the new movies for the post-ROTJ era the next big era needs its own "gospel" to branch from.

Perhaps because of how far in the past this era is, they might not feel that it matters much whether or not the Old Republic era is truly Canon or a Legend. It could be a simple case of "It was so long ago that there is no longer any surviving substantial evidence that these events actually did or did not happen." I mean hell, millennia after Homer and we're still debating over whether the Trojan War really happened. And all these events from this era are events happening 4000-5000 years before the events of Episode IV, which itself already takes place "A long time ago". It's not that incredible that all reliable records from that time period would be lost.

Perhaps because of how far in the past this era is, they might not feel that it matters much whether or not the Old Republic era is truly Canon or a Legend. It could be a simple case of "It was so long ago that there is no longer any surviving substantial evidence that these events actually did or did not happen." I mean hell, millennia after Homer and we're still debating over whether the Trojan War really happened. And all these events from this era are events happening 4000-5000 years before the events of Episode IV, which itself already takes place "A long time ago". It's not that incredible that all reliable records from that time period would be lost.
Well this is what GameSpot says:

The recent delay of the latest expansion for another EA title, Star Wars: The Old Republic, is unrelated to today's announcement. The Lucasfilm rep told GameSpot, "[A]s far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. [TOR] has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."

At the very least I think this means that the Old Republic era will not be retconned, and to be honest they could have retconned it at any time over the past decade or so and they haven't. But I agree, and I don't think much will change.

People are really messed up just because they are using a new word. Nothing changed, things will be as it's always been, EU will be valid as long it doesn't clash with any screen media story.

Lucas and the EU keepers always said that the only true canon is the movies (and TCW now). They didn't say anything new. And we know that, despite saying this, Lucas always considered the canon, he used a lot of elements from the EU on the new trilogy and TCW. We even saw other medias retconing the movies in some cases (Shaak Ti's death).

Have I understood what they said wrong or not, the truth is that what really matters, as it always were, is what we, the fans, consider to be part of the Star Wars universe.

EU was never true canon. the only true canon has always been the movies + TCW. so nothing has really changed. new movies or other media can draw on and include old EU material, but they are not bound to follow it. which also has always been true.

the whole point of this new legends thing is to get the star wars universe in order. think of the story group as lucas himself. just as the only true canon was the work lucas did, from here on the only true canon that must be followed is what comes from the story group. which is a good thing.

-Bane

-The Rule of Two

-Korriban (As Moriband)

The Mandalorian war, and the existence of an old republic was referenced by a death watch commander in season two.

People are really messed up just because they are using a new word. Nothing changed, things will be as it's always been, EU will be valid as long it doesn't clash with any screen media story.

No. Before there was one story hierarchy, and the whole EU was canon, as long as it didn't contradict the higher echelon of the canon, namely the movies and later The Clone Wars. Where a contradiction arose, all of the bits and pieces of a work that contradicted new material were no longer part of the canon, but everything else was still part of that single canon. I.e something was safe unless contradicted.

Now the movies, and The Clone Wars, are the only thing in their new canon, and the whole EU established before is part of the "legacy" Star Wars universe. Nothing in the legacy universe is part of the new canon, in any sense of the word. Nothing. It's possible that old stuff can get re-released and get approval from the Lucas story group, and it's possible that new stuff can integrate bits and pieces, or even whole chunks of old stuff, from the legacy universe, but until then none of it is part of the new canon. It doesn't matter if it doesn't contradict anything established, it isn't canon.

Well this is what GameSpot says:

The recent delay of the latest expansion for another EA title, Star Wars: The Old Republic, is unrelated to today's announcement. The Lucasfilm rep told GameSpot, "[A]s far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. [TOR] has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."

At the very least I think this means that the Old Republic era will not be retconned, and to be honest they could have retconned it at any time over the past decade or so and they haven't. But I agree, and I don't think much will change.

You're really, really, confused. Like I said above the whole expanded universe is now a part of the "Legacy universe", where as the movies, The Clone Wars, and all future media are a part of a separate canon that doesn't include anything from the EU. That's this announcement in a nut shell. Where as before there was one canon, with a hierarchical arrangement, and a bunch of smaller peripheral works taking place in alternative universes, there are now essentially two large Star Wars universes. The first universe is the legacy universe, which includes the same hierarchical arrangement, and the same content as before, the second universe exclusively includes the movies, clone wars, and all future multimedia not under the Legacy name. The first of which will be Rebels this fall.

Nothing in the EU, literally nothing, is canon in any sense, in the new canon. Not the Old Republic Era, not The Forced Unleashed, nothing post ROTJ, nothing before the Phantom Menace, and nothing in between. Only things shown, or explicitly talked about in the movies and TCW's is canon, nothing else. Everything in the new canon has to get approval from the Lucas story group, to ensure continuity, and to prevent contradictions, and from here on out the story group is working along side creators to help develop this coherent universe. This has actually been stated explicitly by the Lucas Story group many times in the past year and a half. It's just that this is the first time they put out a press release, and this is the first time we've heard anything about "Legacy".

I really think it will end up playing out a lot like different Marvel universes. With similar characters, stories, and conflicts from the older universe getting incorporated, often with a little spin here and there. It shouldn't surprise any one that a lot of the people who care enough about Star Wars to make it into a career choice, love a lot of what the EU has to offer. So i'm sure they'll take a lot of inspiration from it, and incorporate ideas, characters, events and stories from it in the worst case scenario. Best case scenario? I noticed the Lucas Story group was referenced in materials for galactic star fighter, so it's possible that EA is making moves to integrate The Old Republic into the new canon. They probably knew about these plans before buying a ten year license for the use of video games, and they could easily release anniversary editions of Kotor 1&2 that get Lucas Story group approval.

Edited by Ghostbuddy

Ghostbuddy, you are trying to make a big thing of nothing. From what I understand, you think that now, only now, the movies and other media have been separated from the EU. If you really see that way, you are completely mistaken.

For Lucas and everyone on the story board, EU was a thing completely apart from the movies, since the beggining. The only thing that changed is that we don't have "canon ranks" anymore, we have the canon, which is equivalent to the former G-canon and T-canon, and the Legends, you read Legends as EU. In Legends, we just don't have the division of C-canon and S-canon. And I doubt they will release any N-canon materials under the laber Legends.

So, essentially, nothing changed, they just reorganized the canon system. To summarize how this isn't new, a quote from Star Wars Insider #1, from 1994.

"'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelizations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history—with many off-shoots, variations and tangents—like any other well-developed mythology."

The first credit EVER for the Lucasfilm Story Group is SWTOR. Galactic Starfighter. That's the first published mention of the story group. Plus, SWTOR (unless being shut down) will be giving us new story content after the A NEW DAWN big change.

All day yesterday Lucasfilm would tweet "Yes, its legacy" to tons of books. SWTOR is actually one of the only things that got a "Uh, I can't say right now." So that is interesting.

We do have one other piece of canon that is being made other than those 4 new books that were announced, and thats the Darth Maul comic coming out.

I see a lot of weird hyperbole on this whole topic, and I don't see a lot of people mentioning the above, so I just want to make sure those facts are out there and being considered.

It's still possible that SWTOR actually is NOT legacy. Kotor 1 and 2 are confirmed as legacy. The Bane trilogy (albeit not the character) are confirmed as legacy. But SWTOR is not yet confirmed as legacy. Will have to wait and find out whats up. When asked directly, Lucasfilm license reps could not say.

Edited by ericpeterson

You're really, really, confused. Like I said above the whole expanded universe is now a part of the "Legacy universe", where as the movies, The Clone Wars, and all future media are a part of a separate canon that doesn't include anything from the EU. That's this announcement in a nut shell. Where as before there was one canon, with a hierarchical arrangement, and a bunch of smaller peripheral works taking place in alternative universes, there are now essentially two large Star Wars universes. The first universe is the legacy universe, which includes the same hierarchical arrangement, and the same content as before, the second universe exclusively includes the movies, clone wars, and all future multimedia not under the Legacy name. The first of which will be Rebels this fall.

Nothing in the EU, literally nothing, is canon in any sense, in the new canon. Not the Old Republic Era, not The Forced Unleashed, nothing post ROTJ, nothing before the Phantom Menace, and nothing in between. Only things shown, or explicitly talked about in the movies and TCW's is canon, nothing else. Everything in the new canon has to get approval from the Lucas story group, to ensure continuity, and to prevent contradictions, and from here on out the story group is working along side creators to help develop this coherent universe. This has actually been stated explicitly by the Lucas Story group many times in the past year and a half. It's just that this is the first time they put out a press release, and this is the first time we've heard anything about "Legacy".

I really think it will end up playing out a lot like different Marvel universes. With similar characters, stories, and conflicts from the older universe getting incorporated, often with a little spin here and there. It shouldn't surprise any one that a lot of the people who care enough about Star Wars to make it into a career choice, love a lot of what the EU has to offer. So i'm sure they'll take a lot of inspiration from it, and incorporate ideas, characters, events and stories from it in the worst case scenario. Best case scenario? I noticed the Lucas Story group was referenced in materials for galactic star fighter, so it's possible that EA is making moves to integrate The Old Republic into the new canon. They probably knew about these plans before buying a ten year license for the use of video games, and they could easily release anniversary editions of Kotor 1&2 that get Lucas Story group approval.

I'm sorry, but the word "legacy" wasn't mentioned in any of the press releases, so lets stop making up terms.

But why exactly am I confused?

But anyway, your wrong, we are not dealing with an alternate universe here. We are dealing with a singular, cohesive universe - a vision Lucasfilm is clearly sticking to - with varying levels of authenticity. Quite different.

Edited by Beniboybling

The first credit EVER for the Lucasfilm Story Group is SWTOR. Galactic Starfighter. That's the first published mention of the story group. Plus, SWTOR (unless being shut down) will be giving us new story content after the A NEW DAWN big change.

All day yesterday Lucasfilm would tweet "Yes, its legacy" to tons of books. SWTOR is actually one of the only things that got a "Uh, I can't say right now." So that is interesting.

We do have one other piece of canon that is being made other than those 4 new books that were announced, and thats the Darth Maul comic coming out.

I see a lot of weird hyperbole on this whole topic, and I don't see a lot of people mentioning the above, so I just want to make sure those facts are out there and being considered.

It's still possible that SWTOR actually is NOT legacy. Kotor 1 and 2 are confirmed as legacy. The Bane trilogy (albeit not the character) are confirmed as legacy. But SWTOR is not yet confirmed as legacy. Will have to wait and find out whats up. When asked directly, Lucasfilm license reps could not say.

Its not legacy, its "Legends".

Ha, yeah sorry. Got my SWTOR and my SW license terms mixed up.

That's not the main point though. I perused all this stuff last night to see if there was any statement about it, and then I did a bit of research, and I'm still a bit surprised nobody has really hit those two points:

1) SWTOR has the only credit (and the first credit) for this new story group, to date.

2) SWTOR was pretty much the only piece of media they did not say "Nope, Legends". They couldn't answer it. Which is strange. The only other exception was the upcoming Darth Maul comic, which is straight from a TCW script.

I really wonder if just like Darth Bane, SWTOR may end up staying canon, while the rest of the Old Republic era is Legends.

Ghostbuddy, you are trying to make a big thing of nothing. From what I understand, you think that now, only now, the movies and other media have been separated from the EU. If you really see that way, you are completely mistaken.

I wrote a huge comment, and somehow the page refreshed and lost it all. So i'll keep this short, unfortunately it's as unlikely to be as convincing, but what ever.

Just to clarify, If I understand you correctly the dispute we are having is whether or not the EU was EVER canon, and whether or not the new situation is different in practice. The other guy who i'm debating seems to think the EU is STILL canon, but also contends the new situation is no different in practice. You're both wrong in exactly opposite ways, and hopefully I can prove that.

Of course it was separated, hence the distinguishing moniker. The fact however is that the EU was canon until contradicted, where as now it's not canon at all. Lucas film reserved the right to overwrite old canon, and George Lucas himself reserved the right to just ignore it. You might say therefore the difference between what we have now, and what we had then is merely semantics. In many ways you're correct, but in at least two ways you are wrong, George Lucas was the only person unilaterally immune to the established continuity of the EU, and he was forced to be exposed to the EU as a part of his job, and it inevitably influenced his thinking and direction. Now every writer is immune to the EU, but every writer is subject to the new multi-media canon, and these writers have no responsibility to subject themselves to the EU at all.

I know George Lucas knew who Revan was, I know this because some behind the scenes information on a season two episode of TCW's suggested he originally wanted Revan and Darth Bane to appear as force ghosts. So in other words, if George Lucas overwrote the EU, it was nine times out of ten an intentional creative decision.

I can't necessarily say the same thing about the writer of the upcoming book, "The Sith Lords", JJ Abrahams, or any one else necessarily. The Story group is only enforcing the movies, TCW's, and upcoming media, everyone has EU immunity, and not all of these people are going to know anything about the EU, nor are they going to be forced to learn about non-canon content. They could overwrite really good parts of the EU, before it can be incorporated.

You're absolutely correct when you suggest this is a good thing, especially in the long term, I think I alluded that I thought as much in my last post. It means going forward we'll have a stable canon, it means we'll have more Q&A, which the EU had little of especially in the first couple decades, and it means the new movies can surprise us. But it will have the consequence of lots of old content from the old canon being overwritten by the new canon, that is a fact.

Lucas Film enforced continuity on the EU, they played an active role in the EU especially starting in 1999 after the Phantom Menace released, but even before hand. Often forcing writers of EU content to submit their works for approval from Lucas Film.

If you dig up actually interviews of various projects you'll see writers often had to submit parts of their works to George directly, and if not to him to a Lucas Film executive. They often had to re write their stuff dozens of times to ensure it was up to Lucas film's standards, and that it was consistent with everything else. For example George Lucas told the writer of Darth Plagueis that the title character had to be human, but eventually told the writer he could be Bith. The writer had to frequently had to pivot from his original vision to stay within the framework previously established in the EU.

When you start to dig up interviews from these projects you will realize literally everyone involved in the EU was lead to believe it was canon. You'll also see that starting in 2008, EU writers who were writing books that dealt with subject matter in TCW's were being consulted by , and were consulting with, Dave Filioni to ensure continuity, and of course we all know TCW's is considered canon. TCW's was held to the same standard as the EU, other than in situations stemming from George Lucas's involvement. So in other words there was a period, at least prior to Disney buying Lucas Film, where TCW's was relatively bound by EU continuity, just like EU material was bound by EU continuity. I.E the way I describe the former situation better describes reality in practice. Describing the situation as the EU having relative canon status, George Lucas having special veto powers, and immunity to established canon, which he was exposed to and relatively understood.

I'll reiterate my point earlier that your quote actually explicitly describes Lucas film's efforts to incorporate the EU into a behind the scenes story bible.

Edited by Ghostbuddy