Strike Useless?.....

ForcelightX

Does strike becomes Useless at some lvl? i think i read u dont need to use it from lvl 45+ im not sure.. im new.. my guardian is lvl 27

Depends highly on spec. My combat sent still has to use it or be focus starved, and I just had two killing blows with it in PvP last night.

Also depends on AC. I'm not sure on Sentinels, however as a Guardian you will still use Strike in tank spec. In Vigilance or Focus though, past level 45 you should never have to use it, although if you mismanage your Focus, you will.

From Dulfy's guide for Vigilance:

"Strike is the least important ability in your rotation, thanks to your many talents and other Focus generating abilities. It should be avoided most of the time, however you will find that occasionally it is the most appropriate ability, such as when you can’t afford to use any of your Focus, but both Saber Throw and Sundering Strike are on CD."

Also if you don't have set bonus (meaning you have to run away to use Saber Throw).

Edited by Halinalle

I still use Strike as a tank every once in awhile. It's really rare though. I literally use it if I have nothing else to do (because everything else is on CD), it at least gives me a bit of Focus. It has no CD and it executes immediately so it's helpful.

What I have trouble figuring out is when to use Master Strike. It's decent DPS (especially if you boost it with talents) but I dislike the fact that it takes so long and most of the damage comes at the very end so if you interrupt it, it's a waste. If I use Master Strike when other stuff is on CD, something comes off CD before the attack is finished and I'm stuck between the choice of either letting it finish and delaying a better attack, or interrupting it and losing the DPS (and threat) I was about to do.

It's not bad enough that I've taken it off my bar (and I do have Master Focus specced) but I struggle to figure out when to use it. (I'm level 55 in case anyone is wondering.)

I still use Strike as a tank every once in awhile. It's really rare though. I literally use it if I have nothing else to do (because everything else is on CD), it at least gives me a bit of Focus. It has no CD and it executes immediately so it's helpful.

What I have trouble figuring out is when to use Master Strike. It's decent DPS (especially if you boost it with talents) but I dislike the fact that it takes so long and most of the damage comes at the very end so if you interrupt it, it's a waste. If I use Master Strike when other stuff is on CD, something comes off CD before the attack is finished and I'm stuck between the choice of either letting it finish and delaying a better attack, or interrupting it and losing the DPS (and threat) I was about to do.

It's not bad enough that I've taken it off my bar (and I do have Master Focus specced) but I struggle to figure out when to use it. (I'm level 55 in case anyone is wondering.)

If you mean in a serious tanking situation, I usually open something like this...

Leap -> Combat Focus -> Sweep -> Guardian Slash + Riposte -> Hilt Strike -> Blade Storm ->

And then right there, it depends. If Riposte is about to come off cooldown and was activated again, I'll throw in a Stasis Riposte combo, then immediately Master Strike. If it isn't, I will Master Strike right there.

As for in general, there's definitely enough free GCD's in the Guardian tank rotation to use Master Strike. Assuming you're past your opener and Stasis/Hilt Strike are unavailable, you have 4 GCD's for Sunder/Blade Storm/Sweep/Guardian Slash, that's 6 seconds, and another 6 seconds til the first one used comes off cooldown, or another 4 GCD's basically. That's where Strike, Slash and Master Strike all fit in, depending on if Master Strike's available and what else is off cooldown. MS only costs 2 GCD's, and you have 4 to play with, so it shouldn't be an issue to fit it in.

Basically, just try to make sure Master Strike isn't used right before Riposte becomes available, as you can't Riposte during a Master Strike.

If you mean in a serious tanking situation, I usually open something like this...

Leap -> Combat Focus -> Sweep -> Guardian Slash + Riposte -> Hilt Strike -> Blade Storm ->

And then right there, it depends. If Riposte is about to come off cooldown and was activated again, I'll throw in a Stasis Riposte combo, then immediately Master Strike. If it isn't, I will Master Strike right there.

As for in general, there's definitely enough free GCD's in the Guardian tank rotation to use Master Strike. Assuming you're past your opener and Stasis/Hilt Strike are unavailable, you have 4 GCD's for Sunder/Blade Storm/Sweep/Guardian Slash, that's 6 seconds, and another 6 seconds til the first one used comes off cooldown, or another 4 GCD's basically. That's where Strike, Slash and Master Strike all fit in, depending on if Master Strike's available and what else is off cooldown. MS only costs 2 GCD's, and you have 4 to play with, so it shouldn't be an issue to fit it in.

Basically, just try to make sure Master Strike isn't used right before Riposte becomes available, as you can't Riposte during a Master Strike.

Good advice, thanks. :)

Good advice, thanks. :)

also, get in the habit of Master Strike clipping, it's a nice and pretty easy way of squeasing a bit more APM and DPS out of MS. i can pull it off in 100 - 150 MS ping without any issues, even checked my Torparse logs, my MS clipping was fine at about 0.3 seconds left in the channel