Devs, possible bugs with Gunships

wvwraith

I've been noticing some possible bugs with railguns, especially in charges.

Dropped charges for no reason.

Scout weapons(non ions) causing drop charges.

Ion railguns hitting strikes/bombers/gunships and them flying right away as if nothing was drained.

All charges were above 25% needed to fire. At no time was I hit by any energy draining weapon. When these charges dropped, there was no fire, no damage to enemy. This is not a couple of occurrence thing, its beginning to be a common thing in matches. Since its a matter of seconds in tdms etc to get a shot off it becomes annoying when this continuously happens. As far I'm aware, scout weapons don't cause charge drops. It just seems weird that they do. On ions, I'm aware of scouts able to fly away after being hit with ions, however, these are other ships that fly off as if nothing got drained at all. Charge was released at full power as well. I'm aware of charges going off at full automatically as well. I assure you its none of these. Would like to see these looked at because I do believe there's a bug or two with these.

Bursts don't always show the visual, but as far as I can tell they fire anyway.

This isn't the first time I've heard of railguns randomly dropping charge. I don't really have an explanation unless the visual isn't showing and you're missing the shot.

I could understand ions not appearing to have an effect on scouts (I run booster recharge specifically to give that illusion, if you don't know to watch for its visual), but not gunships and strikes. Not unless they're at full and you're not hitting them with very much drain, but I think you'd notice that.

are you positive the ion shots against non-scouts were at full charge? Now that the drain scales it could be that anything less than a full charge does a small enough drain that an enemy ship will still have enough power to break LOS or otherwise make it appear as though they weren't affected at all even though they did have some power drained.

Regardless it should be looked at to make sure there isn't a bug.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

If you target, say, a mine- or other very low hit point object- sometimes the number will not display, the sound will not play, and the railshot will not animate.

But, the rail is still doing its job.

This may or may not be what you are seeing.

In my experience, the 'scope' abilities on the gunship are the glitchiest of any ship. I also have problems with randomly losing charge, or other issues such as the gun not always charging up with I click my mouse.

I often consider it just some odd lag issue, but again I never have these types of issues with other ships, so who knows.

I find the scope to be solid.

The charge won't start while you are still on 1 second cooldown from the last shot. The charge will also fail to start if you press it during the scoping animation. I don't notice issues outside of these.

I have seen slug railshots hit a target dead centre at full charge and do zero damage.

On ships such as another tier 1 gunship or a tier 2 scout such as a flashfire, where an evasion build can be applied, I can understand this affect, but not on bombers and strikes.

I have, outside the previous comment, not experienced a railgun not charging, unless there is serious lag, usually tested by attempting to bost -- if there is lag, you can't boost, or, at least, you don't see it for a while.

All other scenarios cansafely be ascribed to poor coding, but, if I were you, I would not draw the dev's attention to gunships, they like to nerf everything they see, think about BR and ion rail.

I don't see scouts getting nerfed any.... or DO being removed from TDMs...

Whether or not a 100% charged ion railgun shot is enough to effectively immobilize another ship really depends on what state the target's engine pool is.

With a full pool any ship will have enough energy left to boost a significant distance, and scouts and some strike builds will retain some boost capability even at 70-80% engine pool before the hit.

Counter ion scout builds can hit a cooldown and boost off after being fully drained.

To guarantee immobilization you need two shots on most ships, and three on any ship with a mastered booster recharge cooldown available.

Small amounts of lag on either shooter or target's end can cause misses, and sometime the signs are fairly subtle. Also worth noting that 2/3 of the strike fighters have the option to carry evasion, and with the right cooldowns it can briefly be increased to amounts that are fairly significant for a weapon with a rate of fire as slow as a railgun's. That's 19% passive, 34% with running interference up, and 40% under the effects of RI and a friendly tensor field. Play a gunship much and you will see missed shots on strike fighters due to evasion.

Edited by Ramalina

I'm definitely sure I had full charge with ions. I do have lag sometimes which does effect my hits at times, but when these drops occurred everything was normal. The whole thing just seems so odd to me. Its somewhat reassuring that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I did have some games at least with no dropped charges so I'm happy about that. Appreciate everyone's input and comments. If it is some sort of bug, hopefully its one of those quick fix things.

Bursts don't always show the visual, but as far as I can tell they fire anyway.

^ Pretty sure this. I've seen the damage numbers before without the animation being played, so that is likely a client-side issue with the animation, *not* an issue with your guns failing to fire.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.