The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Make cartel market armor sets obtainable in-game

Nieyko

There are many armor sets from the cartel market that are simply not obtainable in-game. Even from the GTN. The reason for this is that the people buying the older packs have stopped purchasing said packs or those packs have been discontinued. Now, I am NOT advocating that "Bioware give us free lootz." What I am suggesting is that Bioware gives its players another carrot on a stick to chase, thereby keeping said players subbed. Allow me to provide you with an example:

The Revan armor set is obviously a highly sought after outfit. It makes sense that it is rare. However, the droprates of some of the pieces (helm, gloves, belt) is so ridiculously low from the packs, that they are almost never seen in-game anymore (not including ones that are already bound to a character). On my server at the moment, for example, there are no belts or gloves for this set on the GTN, nor have there been for some time. What I suggest is making the Revan armor set part of the loot table from the final boss in Maelstrom Prison (I believe the Imp equivilent is the Foundry). The droprates can be extremely low (5% for the chest/legs, 1% for the helm, etc., making it still possible that no revan piece drops).

What this would do is provide your playerbase with another task to do at endgame (farming for a certain look), while minimizing addition development costs to Bioware, as all assets are already in game. Making the droprates very low would be fine, as when a player actually gets a piece they are looking for, it is an achievement, of sorts.

Low droprates would also mean that players who do not have the time or inclination to farm for pieces could still buy packs to try to win the pieces through RNG.

This suggestion is not limited to the Revan set. You could have the final boss in the Esseles drop pieces to one of the cartel market jedi sets. Malgus in False Emperor could drop pieces of a sith set. And so on and so forth. Again, extremely low droprates, so as not to cut into the money Bioware makes from cartel packs. There might actually be an increase in profit as more subbed players will stay subbed, trying to get "that one awesome set."

TLDR:

Adding cartel market armor sets to ingame bosses' loot tables (at very low droprates).

Pros:

-Increase the chances of subbed players staying subbed, increasing profit.

-Low development cost as all assets are in game and we know you can change loot tables (see columi/rakata gear disappearing).

-Minimal loss of profit, if any, from cartel market purchases.

Cons:

-I couldn't think of any, but I would love to hear some feedback on this.

• 4 weeks later...

I don`t like it neither, but you CAN buy the whole set. It is overly overpriced, but you CAN, just as you can buy about anything on GTN, with VERY FEW exceptions.

You`re just trying to lobby because you can`t afford it - either by gambling on packs, or direct buy from GTN.

I think a better implementation of this would be to have it drop from the new tactical flashpoints that are coming. it gives people a reason to run them multiple times to earn these armor sets unlike the recent Korriban and Tython flashpoints that most only run once and then forget about. It would save them time and money creating new armor sets as well

why would they do this?

Doing so would directly cut into a major source of revenue.

You have to think, before making a suggestion, "would this negatively impact their profit margins"

If the answer is yes, they probably won't do it.

Edited by illgot

One of the (if not the) rarest armors in the game being dropped from a flashpoint that can be solo'd would probably make more subs (the ones with said armors) consider unsubbing over making more subs "keep subbing for loot".

I agree with you to a certain level, i think that the armors available in the CC should have different "skinned" versions available in game (most of them do)...and different names too. For example, the valiant jedi and eradicator armors. Although i have both bought and unlocked i wouldn't mind this and would probably seek out these sets.

Also, they will probably (hopefully) bring back these CM packs in some shape or form so that the items aren't always as rare as they are now. However, they should always be rare.

One of the (if not the) rarest armors in the game being dropped from a flashpoint that can be solo'd would probably make more subs (the ones with said armors) consider unsubbing over making more subs "keep subbing for loot".

I agree with you to a certain level, i think that the armors available in the CC should have different "skinned" versions available in game (most of them do)...and different names too. For example, the valiant jedi and eradicator armors. Although i have both bought and unlocked i wouldn't mind this and would probably seek out these sets.

Also, they will probably (hopefully) bring back these CM packs in some shape or form so that the items aren't always as rare as they are now. However, they should always be rare.

An interesting point. I'm not sure I'm completely in agreement with it, but I do see where you're coming from. I do agree that these sets are and should remain rare. As for the armors dropping (again at low rates) with different skins, I think that is a good counter-proposal.

I don`t like it neither, but you CAN buy the whole set. It is overly overpriced, but you CAN, just as you can buy about anything on GTN, with VERY FEW exceptions.

You`re just trying to lobby because you can`t afford it - either by gambling on packs, or direct buy from GTN.

Actually I have every set I mentioned in my post unlocked in collections. And it is not a question of if I like it or not. This is not about me but, rather, about trying to help the game flourish. It's more about adding replayability to the game. I 100% agree that these armors should be rare. Having them gives players a sense of accomplishment. Maybe instead of the CM armor sets, put one or two rare mounts in the loot tables (again at very low droprates). Something to get the players who have cleared the endgame content to log on and populate the server.

I do not wish to digress too much as this is on the CM suggestions forum and I've already mentioned mounts NOT on the CM at the moment. So maybe a good compromise would be to have recolored skins of these CM armor sets drop (again at very low droprates) from some of the bosses. Which bosses, I would leave that to the Development team to decide.

This is a bad plan, we want Bioware to make money.

I would like to see some of the discontinued packs go on sale again, but other than that I don't really have any complaints about the packs as long as there are people willing to sell pieces on the GTN. Over my dead body will I buy a rng-riddled pack with my own coins, though.

I don't think that CM sets should be available outside the CM/Packs, as it defeats the purpose of the CM/packs! But, It'd be nice to just see more cartel sets in game, like NPCs wearing them. Master Ogan Dei at Oricon was a nice touch (he's wearing a recolored Qel-Droma Chestpiece), and I feel like that could be expanded into more of the game.

Actually I have every set I mentioned in my post unlocked in collections. And it is not a question of if I like it or not. This is not about me but, rather, about trying to help the game flourish. It's more about adding replayability to the game. I 100% agree that these armors should be rare. Having them gives players a sense of accomplishment. Maybe instead of the CM armor sets, put one or two rare mounts in the loot tables (again at very low droprates). Something to get the players who have cleared the endgame content to log on and populate the server.

I do not wish to digress too much as this is on the CM suggestions forum and I've already mentioned mounts NOT on the CM at the moment. So maybe a good compromise would be to have recolored skins of these CM armor sets drop (again at very low droprates) from some of the bosses. Which bosses, I would leave that to the Development team to decide.

I never liked the idea of exclusive to Cash Shop items, but that`s how it is.

As for your OP, I "farmed" once for the ONLY weapon I wanted from a FP: http://www.torhead.com/item/3Q3gkil/tral-tech-interceptor. Got one and wanted another for my Mercenary. It took 3 more runs to get one more gun drop to finish her looks.

This is what your proposal means - precisely 3 more runs for me.

While, as it is right now, it means money for Bioware, either via sub for free coins or bought coins, or players running dailies / weeklies / playing the GTN for cash to buy it.

I don`t like Bioware too much and that is no secret, but they offer more content in regards to your proposal.

Edited by Styxx