A question for the Devs: How can new players, enjoy GSF ?

General_Brass

I don't think there is any doubt that GSF is exceptionally new player unfriendly. So I have to ask do the developers have any suggestions on how to help new players enjoy the game ? Hopefully it's not one of those things that's meant to be a community project because the community really doesn't seem to be having much luck with it. Really hope I am not overstepping by asking for help here because I keep seeing new players that come into the game keep getting completely wrecked and just write it off as someones bad attempt at making a game.

Without proper matchmaking or cross server matchs your being thrown into a pool of players, some that have been playing since Decemeber and some having been beta testers of GSF. Unfortunately people say they take it easier on new pilots but I haven't really seen it and when you have a team of newer pilots verse a veteran team which happens alot, your going to end up frustrated. Most people will tell you to just keep smashing your head against the wall and you will get better. In theory it should work, as you learn from your mistakes, but in essence you become so disillusioned into what your attempting to do which is enjoy the game and have fun. Edited by Zohkar

They mentioned during the live stream, that new players are restricted to 8v8 matches for their first few games. Ideally the match-making also kicks in to pair them with like gear/experienced pilots.

Its the second part that comes up mostly as fail. Not all the blame for that goes to the matchmaking code though and sadly I don't see a fix for that part(low population) incoming.

They mentioned during the live stream, that new players are restricted to 8v8 matches for their first few games. Ideally the match-making also kicks in to pair them with like gear/experienced pilots.

It does, on their team. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the same for the opposing team. Screwiest match making I've heard of.

Its the second part that comes up mostly as fail. Not all the blame for that goes to the matchmaking code though and sadly I don't see a fix for that part(low population) incoming.

The low population is because people try it, get hammered and quit playing because the matchmaking is a joke.

You are misunderstanding,

I completely understand the causes for the problems.

You can break them down into 3 broad categories.

1. Differences in material: Long story short if one side has a large material advantage it's not going to be a great game.

2. Differences in pilot skill: Pairing off large a team of skilled pilots vs unskilled pilots will once again be a poor experience.

3. Outside force multipliers: Teams that are using voice com/and or just have played together for a long time fall into this.

Usually in the matches I see one side will have 2 or 3 of these in it's favor, and the other will get annihilated.

What I have to hope is that the developers have some idea that they are willing to share with us, that we can share with new players about how they should approach the game to enjoy it. After all, it's hard to believe they thought it would just happen on its own.

Edited by General_Brass

From a the point of view of someone who's played since early access for GSF, it's also frustrating to have 2 solid pilots running with me, but the rest of the team is so new that they don't a) understand where things are (i.e. power ups, spawn points, tactical positioning, WHICH SATELLITE TO GO FOR, etc.); b) don't understand the mechanics of gsf (because they haven't played); c) they're unable to read chat while playing to let them know "Hey, you know how they're all together with mines and snipers? Let's avoid that", or in a domination when we're losing two satellites at the same time and they want to spawn and go for the only satellite that's red instead of defending; d) don't have the gear to be any sort of effective.

The only way they're going to get better is repeated practice, but getting blasted as soon as they spawn isn't a great solution. We could try bolstering new players stats (say, under 10 games) to have their gear get bonus hull strength or something. It won't make a huge world of difference, but it still will be better than nothing. OR make them start in a bomber. That would be alright. At least it would take 4 shots to actually take one down. OR get a more formalized rank system :) Cheers to the last one. It's interesting how the worst players on the team make the biggest difference, like a weak link on a bicycle chain.

I don't think there is any doubt that GSF is exceptionally new player unfriendly. So I have to ask do the developers have any suggestions on how to help new players enjoy the game ? Hopefully it's not one of those things that's meant to be a community project because the community really doesn't seem to be having much luck with it. Really hope I am not overstepping by asking for help here because I keep seeing new players that come into the game keep getting completely wrecked and just write it off as someones bad attempt at making a game.

I am reminded of a very talented pilot on Ebon Hawk - Imperial side - who was much in the same boat when they started out. He stuck with it, though, and now Fiveoffive is one of the Imperials' better fliers.

Pilots who stick it out and learn become better people for the experience. Or, they find out what kind of person they truly are when confronted with the challenge. Either's far preferable to a bland, bumpercar-like experience where everyone has the same level of upgrades and uses 'em the same way as everyone else.

If people quit because of the challenge of entry, then they quit. It's no big loss for the real pilots. -bp

People who are from the NES generation appreciate the challenge. Back then, games had plenty of Haha f**k you moments and beating them was the ultimate satisfaction. Success was not guaranteed, just like GSF right now. If all you want is constant wins then go play a FPS campaign on easy setting, If you enjoy a real challenge then you will enjoy GSF, as simple as that.