The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Snipers should have stealth too

rickya

I do not understand why snipers do not have stealth in game. In real life that is one of the most important qualifications of a sniper is to be stealthy at all times and to take out a target in stealth mode. I would like to see in the future a sniper with stealth abilities.

Thank you for your attention and I would like to hear from you and your thoughts.

rickya :rak_03:

I do not understand why snipers do not have stealth in game. In real life that is one of the most important qualifications of a sniper is to be stealthy at all times and to take out a target in stealth mode. I would like to see in the future a sniper with stealth abilities.

Thank you for your attention and I would like to hear from you and your thoughts.

Thanks but no. We have enough abilities to juggle as is.

Besides, what lore reason would Gunslingers have to get stealth? :o

Ahh, I see where you went wrong.

You assumed this was real life. It's not. It's a game. Things can make absolutely no sense vis-a-vis how they work in real life (e.g. THE FORCE). Snipingers with stealth would be overpowered.

/thread

If common sense and real life had anything to do with anything, then one would imagine that good Aim would be important to a Sniper too.

But no, in the Old Republic fiendish Cunning is what makes our Snipers hit their targets (presumably they have cooked up some convoluted Mission Impossible-style scheme involving rubber masks and dangling from ceilings that somehow compensates for their lack of actual shooting skills).

Edited by PLynkes

I do not understand why snipers do not have stealth in game. In real life that is one of the most important qualifications of a sniper is to be stealthy at all times and to take out a target in stealth mode.

Certainly this makes sense in a pure game mode viewpoint. Obviously if the Empire can outfit operatives with stealth gear, it would be illogical to not provide their snipers with the same type of gear.

However, game world logic is always trumped by MMO type concerns which often do not distinguish from a pure PVE experience and a PVP experience. Detrimental or otherwise, one always impacts the other, sometimes at the expense of game world "realism." As others have stated, a sniper that also had stealth could be considered overpowered.

Edited by JeffNyman

snipers should also be shooting from several miles away and have a spotter with them feeding them data.

Well, one could imagine that with "futuristic" type technology, perhaps the need for a spotter is obviated. But, yeah, you raise a good point. This is actually why I could never get into a sniper in SWTOR. For all that they may be a good class to play, some part of my mind could not reconcile that 30 meters was as far away as I could snipe!

Nobody in the the SWTOR universe can see much further than 30 metres anyway. Must be some sort of galactic eye infection. You can walk about amongst dozens of enemies and none of them will see you until you get within about ten feet of them. :)