The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SW Battlegrounds?

SammyGStatus

Anyone remember this game?? Very similar to Age of Empires (The Clone Campaigns expansion made this my favorite RTS every though). Miss those great memories - custom maps were awesome, especially the RP ones where you dictate terms of engagement, military creation, trade routes, airspace violations, etc. Why did that game go unnoticed by so many people for so long :( Granted, it's been over 8 years since I've played, but it was still amazing.

Anyone remember this game?? Very similar to Age of Empires (The Clone Campaigns expansion made this my favorite RTS every though). Miss those great memories - custom maps were awesome, especially the RP ones where you dictate terms of engagement, military creation, trade routes, airspace violations, etc. Why did that game go unnoticed by so many people for so long :( Granted, it's been over 8 years since I've played, but it was still amazing.

I play my Chiss character in TOR as an ancestor of Sev'rance Tann. I don't know why, but she's one of my favorite characters from the Clone Wars era, I just wish her character had been referenced/featured in other SW media outside of the Clone Campaigns.

And yeah, I absolutely loved making custom maps in that game, or massing AT-ATs in multiplayer skirmishes whenever I played Empire ("aww, you made walls, that's cute... BLAM!").

Edited by DarthDymond

Being blunt, it was very similar because it was Age of Empires 2 wearing a star wars mask.

It was a very well known, and well played (for its time) Star Wars game. The only previous Star Wars RTS title had been the ambitious Force Commander. Unfortunately we got nothing as far as strategy games in general for Star Wars after, until the horribly balanced Empire at War, and it's even worse (in terms of balance) expansion Forces of Corruption.

I must confess that soon after EaW's announcement, I and some friends of mine hoped it would be like an updated version of Star Wars Rebellion (AKA Star Wars Supremacy as we had it in Britain). Unfortunately for us it wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...
I still have this game; I bought a second copy so my girlfriend and I would have more to play whilst we were apart. We both love it, even if as a result certain parts of the Star Wars soundtrack instill mad panic! There're some pretty amusing quotes in there, too!

Can you still buy it? I've always heard about it, and would I need Dosbox?

For Battlegrounds, I just bought it on eBay. It does not need DOSBox, however in my experience it doesn't much like newer computers. Something to do with current processors being too fast, from what I've read.

For Battlegrounds, I just bought it on eBay. It does not need DOSBox, however in my experience it doesn't much like newer computers. Something to do with current processors being too fast, from what I've read.

Thanks. I guess that lets me out then. I just bought my laptop last year.

Thanks. I guess that lets me out then. I just bought my laptop last year.

You might research it more. I'm not highly computer literate, but there may be a way you can fool the game/fool the computer to make it work. I just wasn't going to start messing around with stuff I'm not well versed in.