Did today's patch improve the graphics somehow?

Icebergy

I played the day before, too. So that is not it.

Performance on the fleet also seemed better than usual.

For what is worth, when I stated that more than seven hours for a patch was overkill, Tait did mention this...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7290946&postcount=16

I can totally understand why the maintenance window seems long based on the Patch Note contents. During maintenance periods, we also have changes beyond updating the game - hardware maintenance, website back-end changes, so on and so forth. This is why the maintenance seems long vs. the Patch Notes.

Maybe something else happened backstage, especially considering that, yet again, I can't remember the last time they took all servers down for more than seven hours.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Only way they're going to improve the graphics if they replaced the current game engine with a real one.

LOL, this would also improve the overall quality of the game..

ability delay still exists...

combat animation is utter crap, a boss is cleaving? oh wait it already happened.

Maybe something else happened backstage, especially considering that, yet again, I can't remember the last time they took all servers down for more than seven hours.

That makes sense, yea. Well whatever they did, kudos to them.

It isnt the look, its the fact that the engine can barely handle 14 people on-screen at the same time without suffering FPS loss. Have 30+ people on-screen, and it turns into a slideshow.

That, and the loading screens for planets (especially ones later in the story; Alderaan for example) take a long time.

Processor helps that. I'm running the same graphics card on my new rig as my old. Up to this point a SSD didn't even help. However when upgrading to a new 8 core processor (3.5ghz) from a 2 core at the same speed the game runs at triple frame rates on it's highest settings. Again, on the same video card. This engine (or whatever) is obviously very processor heavy. I would blame shadows/etc but turning everything down to it's lowest setting or even completely off barely affected my framerates on my old rig. We're talking about going from 20 fps to like 27 when going from everything from it's highest to it's lowest.

It still takes forever to load planets like Corellia though. I don't think that has changed a bit. Both Windows 8.1 and Swtor are running off of SSD so I'm not sure what else could be done to speed that up at this point.

Edited by Criosdh