Pretty neat

SammyGStatus

So I was playing in space the other day (Lost Shipyards or something; tdm) and I had the entire enemy team chasing me (all 8 players targetting JUST me... My friend on Mumble laughed pretty hard). Anyways, the only thing I could really do was pop an ion, got the AOE effect, and was able to evade but not without relentless pursuit (2 or 3 of them branched off to other fighters).

I still had 5 guys on me, and they were starting to land a lot of damage. I was (after popping all my defensives) at complete red, on fire, with no shields.

What can you do in this situation? Well, you can do what I did, which I thought was quite clever. I'm a Gunship, which were never intended to be as maneuverable as they are (at least I dont think so). I flew back to my star destroyer and nestled in the hanger (between the two pincer-like devices, there is a small openning. I parked in there, and due to the exact location I was in, no one was able to shoot at me from the sides, above, or below. The only area they could fire at me from was head on. Anyone who's faced a gunship, knows this isn't smart.

First target came. Ion'd him, AOE'd his teammate, then blasted with a slug. He was finished. Second guy was dancing around the star destroyer, and a team mate killed him. 3rd followed a similar pattern as the first, and finally my repair CD was over so i repaired and boogied out (followed by two fighters). Since I still wasn't full strength, I evaded as best I could and made my way to a destroyed star destroyer on the battle field.

Who knew, that my saving grace in this match (Went 22 kills, 13 assists, and 0 deaths w/ 90k +damage) would be causing star fighters to kill themselves in the narrow passageways of the old star destroyer. Worked like a charm though, as neither one was able to follow me. I regrouped, found a damage over charge, and proceeded to one shot their entire team. Quite the battle.

Moral of the post - if, as a gunship, you're being chased by multiple people, sometimes being a better flier will save you more than skills with blaster cannons. One of the many highlights in my GSF career, but that moment will always be memorable. (Note that after, Tsukoyomi and Alex started grouping together and exclusively made it their objective to stay on me the whole match, where my only teammate in Mumble was a bomber and couldn't really offer assistance [domination, not TDM]).

Are you trying to get your own class nerfed?

Because what I read here is something about how 8 people attacked you and you evaded them all and won.

WTH?! no other class can live for that long with that many attackers because we can't just mash BR and cc everything.

Either that or this is a hugely exaggerated tale.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Talk to Pylan on pub side of Jung'Ma. I don't need to exaagerate as I've got a pretty large target on my head. Also, class doesn't need a nerf considering 2 kills came from evading inside the star destroyer, 2 fell off to attack other fighters, and I had someone in Mumble to communicate with. Nothing against the class of ship - prolly could've done this in my Quell too, but it made sense in my GS just the same. They wouldn't nerf GS just because I outpiloted the opposing team. I just thought it was cool to see that the star destroyers could be used as a possible life saving mechanism, and wasn't sure if everyone had realized you can fly through them (since no one has said anything about it)

Edit: After the BR nerf, I foresee a little different scenario

Edited by SammyGStatus

No but my point was surviving such a situation is isn't remotely feasible for another class.

If eight people all decide to lock a missile on me, even without using their primaries, I will die in seconds.

But whatever the crap that gunships pull off daily are but dreams for the rest of us, and I am tired of GSF following every other mmo by making the melee peasants and the ranged classes gods.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I have seen similar things happen, but I'm wondering if it was more like there were 4 to start with and then 2 peeled off. then when they saw he had trapped himself in a corner they thought that a bumb rush would finish him off.

Even if that was the case 4v1 is still a lot of damage to survive...

Or the other team really sucked.

8 sucky pilots can still kill an ace scout or ace strike, all they need to know is how to lock a missile. No strike or non-BR scout can escape eight missiles. Part of a scout's skill is know when I shouldn't even approach a region because I will be too overwhelmed there.

I have seen similar things happen, but I'm wondering if it was more like there were 4 to start with and then 2 peeled off. then when they saw he had trapped himself in a corner they thought that a bumb rush would finish him off.

Even if that was the case 4v1 is still a lot of damage to survive...

I'm telling you, from the gate EVERYONE had targetted Leggogurl, and Pylan said "I'm seeing 5 on you" after I popped my first ion. Plus, if you're in an ungeared ship vs my gunship, you aren't hitting me. If you do make contact, it doesn't do enough damage (individually) to make a dent. When you have several of them on you, that's when things get dicey. Good piloting + Mastered Ship + poor enemy players + poor enemy ships = how this was able to happen. The story was just the backdrop for the ACTUAL point of this thread, which is that you can use the star destroyers for evading / cover. THAT, was the cool part.

8 sucky pilots can still kill an ace scout or ace strike, all they need to know is how to lock a missile. No strike or non-BR scout can escape eight missiles. Part of a scout's skill is know when I shouldn't even approach a region because I will be too overwhelmed there.

With barrel roll's nerf coming, I switched T3 engine speed to being able to turn better. As a result, I'm using BR less because I can evade the missile lock by dodging through rocks easier, as well as boost -> no boost, rotate at least lik 45 degrees -> boost. That breaks the missile pretty effectively, plus disto shield cancels one that's impossible to shake, and the BR for emergency uses

Edited by SammyGStatus

Are you trying to get your own class nerfed?

Because what I read here is something about how 8 people attacked you and you evaded them all and won.

WTH?! no other class can live for that long with that many attackers because we can't just mash BR and cc everything.

Either that or this is a hugely exaggerated tale.

It's possible in any ship against totally green pilots. I've done it in my Flashfire, I've seen Ayden and several other people do it too.

You underestimate just how horrible some people can be. I've managed something similar in my Pike in TDM on Lost Shipyards - I started the match off on a roll, and after killing the entire enemy team twice over, they *all* came after me. I proceeded to kite 8 enemies all over the damned map, and they just couldn't kill me; I was just barrel rolling to cover, LOSing them, then barrel rolling again. Eventually, I dragged them back to the area where Satellite C is in Domination, where my team had set up a wall of gunships and railgun drones. Watching the entire sky light up with charging railguns, and then the entire enemy team getting massacred in a matter of seconds was absolutely hilarious.

It's possible in any ship against totally green pilots. I've done it in my Flashfire, I've seen Ayden and several other people do it too.

I running on the assumption that the eight attackers are moderately competent for having the presence of mind to try and take down the gunship.

Yes I can attest to killing large numbers of attackers in my prime, and I was one of the top scout aces on my server, but I can't do stuff like the OP and I never saw pilots like Rumina, jaxin, and Ayden do the things being outlined in the OP.

Look at the global records thread even the scout records from pre 2.6 when scouts where at the pinnacle of their power, they still had 3 or so deaths a match. Yet almost every other day I long into the game I see posts by gunships like you that run long the lines of "I just had this terrible match today, the pugs where aweful and not only that but this one guy actually killed me once."

Oh and then there is stuff like this

Edited by Zoom_VI

You underestimate just how horrible some people can be.

Against massively terrible pilots, yes, that's possible -- but massively terrible pilots just won't be coordinated enough to attack the same target (in fact, at that level a lot of them will have trouble trying to figure out who their target is and where he went).

Against any realistic composition of novice enemy players, an ace scout or strike fighter can be shot down by anywhere from three to five enemies. If a gunship or bomber is involved in the enemy ranks, that number can decrease significantly (depending on the situation, of course).

Against massively terrible pilots, yes, that's possible -- but massively terrible pilots just won't be coordinated enough to attack the same target (in fact, at that level a lot of them will have trouble trying to figure out who their target is and where he went).

Against any realistic composition of novice enemy players, an ace scout or strike fighter can be shot down by anywhere from three to five enemies. If a gunship or bomber is involved in the enemy ranks, that number can decrease significantly (depending on the situation, of course).

this x1000

this x1000

If there's a couple people on your team calling for one player, there is a good chance they'll listen. Also, if they're familiar with the tab key, they'll prolly target me too. I don't need to lie, so if you really don't think I'm capable of doing this, make a toon on Jung'Ma and play against me. I've played against all the aces and do VERY well against all except for trouble with Alex, tsukoyomi, and Jaxin. Ask about leggogurl to a GSFer and they'll say "we hate him", hence why they make alts to tell me that they're exclusively trying to go for me

I made this thread for the fact that you can fly through star destroyers for survivability. Me going 5 on 1 is a nightly event

Edited by SammyGStatus

If there's a couple people on your team calling for one player, there is a good chance they'll listen. Also, if they're familiar with the tab key, they'll prolly target me too. I don't need to lie, so if you really don't think I'm capable of doing this, make a toon on Jung'Ma and play against me. I've played against all the aces and do VERY well against all except for trouble with Alex, tsukoyomi, and Jaxin. Ask about leggogurl to a GSFer and they'll say "we hate him", hence why they make alts to tell me that they're exclusively trying to go for me

I made this thread for the fact that you can fly through star destroyers for survivability. Me going 5 on 1 is a nightly event

If they are familiar with all that they they can press missile lock which all you need to screw over scouts, since we can't afford a single missile hit

Look at the global records thread even the scout records from pre 2.6 when scouts where at the pinnacle of their power, they still had 3 or so deaths a match. Yet almost every other day I long into the game I see posts by gunships like you that run long the lines of "I just had this terrible match today, the pugs where aweful and not only that but this one guy actually killed me once."

Just the other day I had a Lost Shipyards domination match where I spent the entire time flying back and forth between the Imp approaches to A, B, and C. I ended something like 22/2/0, with the next highest kills being 3 or so. This was in my Flashfire.

This isn't to brag; the only way I got something like that was by being up against the greenest imaginable pilots. It was boring and had I known things would be like that before the match began, I would have spawned as a bomber, flown to C, and browsed reddit for 5 minutes.

Also, scouts are far less vulnerable to missile locks than gunships for the simple reason that scouts have a much easier time breaking the lock without an explicit lock breaker.

Edited by Kuciwalker

Just the other day I had a Lost Shipyards domination match where I spent the entire time flying back and forth between the Imp approaches to A, B, and C. I ended something like 22/2/0, with the next highest kills being 3 or so. This was in my Flashfire.

This isn't to brag; the only way I got something like that was by being up against the greenest imaginable pilots. It was boring and had I known things would be like that before the match began, I would have spawned as a bomber, flown to C, and browsed reddit for 5 minutes.

Also, scouts are far less vulnerable to missile locks than gunships for the simple reason that scouts have a much easier time breaking the lock without an explicit lock breaker.

gunships have the exact same missile break capabilities as a scout. They also have stronger shields and hull, so taking isn't isn't death.

And yes scouts never dying does occur but it doesn't occur half as much as gunships never dying. And when I see a gunship post a 52 kill to death ratio I cannot come to any conclusion other than the gunships being terribly broked.

Edited by Zoom_VI

gunships have the exact same missile break capabilities as a scout. They also have stronger shields and hull, so taking isn't isn't death.

He's saying that scouts, being more maneuverable and smaller targets, can break out of the lock easier because of their increased mobility

The thing to keep in mind is that our GSF pilot pool on both sides is very variable by day and by time. Having a crushing advantage for either side isn't unusual, and at times all it takes is having two good pilots on your team to make life hell for the other side.

I wouldn't say seeing Leggogurl on a targeting screen is enough to warrant a whole team dropping everything to chase, but it is enough to remind you that you need to practice gunship positional awareness for the rest of the match. Which, really, you ought to be doing in any case.

But yeah, we do sometimes get matches where it is stupidly easy to farm the other side for an experienced pilot.

It sounds plausible to me.

I'll also note that as a primarily strike fighter pilot on Jung Ma, I'm not sure there are pilots on either side that are truly discouraging pilots to fly against. It's more that any competently piloted gunship (or to a lesser extent heavy scout) is likely to be annoying.

gunships have the exact same missile break capabilities as a scout.

Reading comprehension fail? No, scouts have much stronger missile break capabilities than gunships, because in addition to the set of activated abilities that automatically break locks, they also have more speed, maneuverability, and thruster power, making it much easier for them to break locks by simply LOSing, dodging outside of the lock circle, or escaping past the missile's lock range.

Reading comprehension fail? No, scouts have much stronger missile break capabilities than gunships, because in addition to the set of activated abilities that automatically break locks, they also have more speed, maneuverability, and thruster power, making it much easier for them to break locks by simply LOSing, dodging outside of the lock circle, or escaping past the missile's lock range.

all of which can be accomplished by a barrel roll since it brings the roller out of the locker's range.

Oh and how many times have you ever been focused by eight people on your scout and lived?

EDIT: idk maybe I am missing something since I found out today that I have been running like half of everyone else's roll speed (which equates to turning speed) all this time.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.