Getting Max affection with companions?

Celwinn

Buy the 2 lvls of green gifts from the vendor. 15 to 20 of each should get you almost to half way from 0. Then gifts from the GTN if your lazy. 2 or 3 of the ilum dailies are an easy way for some companions if your patient. I think there is guide out there that shows what companions to have out for daily turn ins.

Side note: even if you are running a FP in full group you still get points for the companion you have equipped.

Edited by Toweleeeie

If you've got the credits to spare gifts are the fastest way to do it. You can level affection up to 8000 using the vendor bought Rank 1 and 2 gifts. From 8000 to 10000 just search the GTN for higher Rank gifts. I usually just have the companion I want with me and the mouse over on the gift will tell you how much affection you'll gain(none, small, moderate, large).

This guide is kind of old but still useful. It says you can reach 6000 affection with vendor gifts but you can actually top out at 8000.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=573213

What would be the ideal way to get maxed affection with your companions?

Would running old FPs be good (Thinking BT/Essesles SM)? Would gifts be a better idea?

Dailies on Belsavis is quite effective, especially if you're a female Sorcerer who wants to have max affection with Ashara Zavros.

Unlock character perk for more affection from gifts.

Rank 1 vendor gifts to 6000

Rank 2 vendor gifts to 8000

Conversations (be ready to ESC if you get wrong answer)

GTN gift for what is left to 10000

Depend on companion - between 150 and 400K credits.

Edited by morfius

When I'm levelling with my characters, I don't take up a crafting skill, only gathering skills, I take up Slicing for some creds and Diplomacy for a nice amount of companion gifts, by the time I get to 55 I'm normally max affection on most of my comps via gifts then send to other Alts to boost their comps, failing that sell the good ones on the GTN, then I just grind a crafting skill as I have 5 comps to send out to quicken the pace

What's good about companions gifts now is they actually tell you what affection your comp will get from them, so no more having to look online on which comp likes which gifts best

Go for Diplomacy whilst levelling for affection boost or even at end game, the matts you get from Diplo sell well also

What would be the ideal way to get maxed affection with your companions?

Would running old FPs be good (Thinking BT/Essesles SM)? Would gifts be a better idea?

The same way as getting people in real life to like you: buy them lots of gifts.

Not anymore.

Companion affection gain through conversations was nerfed a while ago, so running BT/Esseles won't do much. At first,yeah, it was worth doing a run there with your first companion (I remember getting Vette like 450 points), specially considering that gifts had a 30s cooldown so gift spam was not so much of a spam....

Here's what I do:

1) Avoid conversations until later! The earlier you do conversations, the more money you're going to spend on gifts.

2) Buy tier 1 gifts from the vendor on Fleet in the GTN area until > 2,000

3) Buy tier 2 gifts from the vendor on Fleet in the GTN area until > 6,000

4) Use the massive amount of companion gifts I've acquired by improving mission skills to bribe them to just over 8,000

5) Do all companion stories and conversations, get yourself to Chapter 3 completion

6) Top off with more mission gifts

If you don't have access to mission gifts but you have a bunch of credits, you can buy them from GTN. Some get crazy expensive.

If you don't want to go the bribe route, I've found that the Belsavis dailies, when you pick the right conversation option, are efficient for affection. Other dailies might be, too, but I haven't done all of them so I can't say for sure. Oricon and Czerka don't seem to be great or even good.

Edited by DarthTHC

1) Avoid conversations until later! The earlier you do conversations, the more money you're going to spend on gifts.

The amount of affection gain from conversations is not related to your current character level, but tied to the mission level itself. Vette will gain the same affection on BT when your character is lvl 10 or when is 55.

Same goes with companions' personal convos, which are also missions.

2) Buy tier 1 gifts from the vendor on Fleet in the GTN area until > 2,000

3) Buy tier 2 gifts from the vendor on Fleet in the GTN area until > 6,000

Is best to keep with rank 1 gifts until they give no more affection, which is 4000. One rank 1 gift is 200 creds, whereas a rank 2 is 600. Yes, a rank 2 will grant more affection but not enough to compensate its higher cost.

Edited by wainot-keel

The amount of affection gain from conversations is not related to your current character level, but tied to the mission level itself. Vette will gain the same affection on BT when your character is lvl 10 or when is 55.

Is best to keep with rank 1 gifts until they give no more affection, which is 4000. One rank 1 gift is 200 creds, whereas a rank 2 is 600. Yes, a rank 2 will grant more affection but enough to compensate its higher cost.

I did a few comparisons between the 200 and 600 CR gifts. I found that before you maxed out the 200 CR gifts, they gave just under the same amount you got for the higher price ones. For the same price of 600 you could get 3 of the lower ones and get almost 50% more affection before you got to 4000. I think the 200 ones were around 70 points non-CM point affected on average, the 600 ones were around 100. Of course over 4000 the next tier of gifts stayed the same up to 8000, but the lower tier gives next to nothing, and once it's over 8000 they do indeed give nothing.

Is best to keep with rank 1 gifts until they give no more affection, which is 4000. One rank 1 gift is 200 creds, whereas a rank 2 is 600. Yes, a rank 2 will grant more affection but enough to compensate its higher cost.

Yes, that works.

But I'll happily pay tens or even hundreds of thousands of credits more to click for 75% to 95% less time.

@DarthTHC

@ikinai

I made a very inconvenient typing mistake in my post above (which I fixed). I should have written "Yes, a rank 2 will grant more affection but not enough to compensate its higher cost. " I think the undertone of the paragraph was telling of my meaning, but still

I don't remember the differences between the affection gain between a rank 1 and rank 2 gift in the 2k - 4k range. I know if you're short on money, stick with rank 1 until they're completely worthless.

But yeah, that gift spam is tiresome so spending a bit of more money to speed things up is won't get you bankrupt

What I do, is rank 1 up to 4k, rank 2 up to 6k. Then it's purples and blues rank 5.

A "loved" gift with the legacy perk, is around 500 points. Even more if, for example, you use one not at 6000, but say at 5990

Edited by wainot-keel