The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

***PETITION*** Imperial/Republic Mirror Class Ability Animation Swaps

Kindust

Let me start off by saying I'm doing a second thread of this because I figured that the title on my first one wasn't fitting. This Could be a legacy or cartel unlock. The idea is that if a player levels 2 classes, one on the Imp side and one on the Pup side, they should be able to swap ability animations. For example say that I have a level 55 marauder, if I decide to level a Sentinel I should be able to swap out the marauders ability animations depending on what level I am. If the sentinel is 35 I get all of the marauders abilities till 35. If I'm 55 on both I get the all of the animations on both. This wouldn't affect gameplay as class mirrors have all of the same abilities just different animations. Nothing would change in the skill trees either. The devs would literally just have to copy and paste the animations so that people that have mirrors on both sides get both animation sets. Any pebble sages out there could use lightning instead if they have a equally or higher leveled sorc! Master strike Jedi could have Ravage. Etc Etc Etc. :cool::cool::cool:

Please Bioware! This isn't even that extreme or that hard and solves so many of your problems!

Sign if you agree and add on any ideas if you would like!

While this could be cool as I prefer the dual saber throw animation of the Sentinel to the Marauder's, I can just imagine the coding nightmare this would represent. They also have to add something to the interface to toggle the animations. And I know for me that I wouldn't want all the animations swapped. Force Scream is better than blade storm, sweeping slash looks terrible, and I'm some what undecided on Master Strike vs. Ravage. And either or type thing would probably have to be in place for that rather than a selection of all animations to swap between. And I hate the Guardian run animations with their sabers out. It's terrible.

Personally I'd prefer something that would either allow for different stances, cylinders or whatever to change how we stand and maybe some of the animations. A reverse Shien grip on the lightsabers for Marauders would be nice.

There is probably no bigger advocate for cartel market alternate animations, particularly for consular, than me. But, your proposal is problematic. PvP would be a nightmare. Classes need to keep their distinct looks and feels to a certain extent....whereas this would throw that out the window....then what about mirrored classed that have different weapons (smuggler shotguns/agents knives) or different resources mechanics (BHs CREATE heat, Troopers USE ammo)....there would be a legion of issues to deal with, and it would really, in the end, just serve to muddy the crap out of the look and feel of most of the classes.

A more targeted, pick a few anis for alternates per class, approach seems more logical and doable.

While this could be cool as I prefer the dual saber throw animation of the Sentinel to the Marauder's, I can just imagine the coding nightmare this would represent. They also have to add something to the interface to toggle the animations. And I know for me that I wouldn't want all the animations swapped. Force Scream is better than blade storm, sweeping slash looks terrible, and I'm some what undecided on Master Strike vs. Ravage. And either or type thing would probably have to be in place for that rather than a selection of all animations to swap between. And I hate the Guardian run animations with their sabers out. It's terrible.

Personally I'd prefer something that would either allow for different stances, cylinders or whatever to change how we stand and maybe some of the animations. A reverse Shien grip on the lightsabers for Marauders would be nice.

Love the feedback! I definitely agree on the whole either/or idea this would in no way be pick one and stick with it. If this ever were done I would imagine that you would be able to go to your abilities window and (sticking with Jedi sentinel as the example) you would see the normal options on the side: Legacy, Jedi Knight, Jedi sentinal, etc. However they would simply add another option of Sith marauder, and every time you unlocked and then bought the Jedi Sent ability, the mirror marauder ability would appear in that category. The abilities are the same effect so in the end you would simply customize your quick bar with a mixture of the ability animations you enjoy the most.

I never thought it would be a coding problem either as they clearly already have the animations created. I'm not fantastic with that stuff though so maybe I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

There is probably no bigger advocate for cartel market alternate animations, particularly for consular, than me. But, your proposal is problematic. PvP would be a nightmare. Classes need to keep their distinct looks and feels to a certain extent....whereas this would throw that out the window....then what about mirrored classed that have different weapons (smuggler shotguns/agents knives) or different resources mechanics (BHs CREATE heat, Troopers USE ammo)....there would be a legion of issues to deal with, and it would really, in the end, just serve to muddy the crap out of the look and feel of most of the classes.

A more targeted, pick a few anis for alternates per class, approach seems more logical and doable.

I am confused why the classes need their own distinct look? They would still have all of the same abilities and therefore operate the same way. I was under the impression too that advanced classes that mirror each other have the same weapons. (this is the case with the force users at least) I honestly haven't taken the time to play the others yet, sorry. With the AC's that don't have the exact same mirrored weapons or mechanics there would just have to be a limit on what abilities are interchangeable. I would be open to alternates also, I just figured that this would be easier because all of these animations are already in the game.

Thanks for the feedback!!:o

How would this work for Commando/Mercenary, Sniper/Gunslinger? Any class with actual different workings? Is the (excuse me for not knowing the real name, I'm not a Sniper) "bolt-action" ability going to be done with two blasters? Will the Mercenary suddenly hunker down and fire two blasters directly in front of him? Most animations don't work beyond their intended classes. Sith Warriors and Jedi Knights, and Sith Inquisitors and Jedi Consulars, maybe. But, for non-Force-Users, I doubt it.

EDIT:

You have Snipers and Gunsligners, which are mirrors. Snipers use a sniper rifle, and gunslingers use two blasters. Their abilities can (for the most part) not be interchanged.

Mercenaries and Commandos. Mercenaries use two blaster pistols, while Commandos use assault cannons. Their abilities can not be interchanged.

Edited by jedimasterjac

Yeah, he basically admitted he hasn't played all the classes, and doesn't know about those differences. His idea cannot work, basically. Merc's have two pistols, mandos have a autocannon....slingers have two pistols, snipers have the rifle and a knife. Scoundrels have a shotgun, agents have a knife....BHs build heat, troopers use ammo....so all those examples are mirrors, but with difference that make copying and pasting abilities like the OP suggested impossible without massive work, and you really DO NOT want what he is suggesting anyway...basically, you would have to strip the mirrors of the little bit of customization they have...for no really good reason.

It is incredibly obvious why classes need their own distinct look...first so they look and feel different when you are playing the different classes, otherwise, why have other classes? And so you can distinguish them by their difference so you know what you are up against in pvp, and everything doesn't look the same...

In other words, there is no way this would ever happen.

Edited by Dyvim

Stop naming threads as petitions. It isn't a petition, it's a suggestion. A petition is something a large group decides on beforehand. This thread is something you thought of alone, and posted alone, in hopes it would get support. Whether it does or does not get support, it is not a petition.

unfortunately for your cause you put the word "Petition" in your title, and according to the TOS any thread title with Petition, Ultimatum, EA, Bioware, or derivatives such as Biofail or EAWare can and will get ignored... so yeah, nobody but other players are gonna look at this thread... Edited by Elly_Dawn