Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Suggestion: Merge TOFN, Darth Nihilus and Jar'Kai Sword

MidichIorian

Don't forget that people on French and German servers actually play a "different" game. They don't even know all the original English name of items, abilities, NPCs, locations etc. because their client has everything translated (and often renamed) into French and German. This is a huge drawback for merging their servers with the English ones, cause communication is very difficult if everything is named differently. For example, imagine you tell a German player "let's meet in Makeb at location XYZ" but his client doesn't show a location called XYZ cause in the German version this location is called BGEW44. Edited by Cretinus

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that people on French and German servers actually play a "different" game. They don't even know all the original English name of items, abilities, NPCs, locations etc. because their client has everything translated (and often renamed) into French and German. This is a huge drawback for merging their servers with the English ones, cause communication is very difficult if everything is named differently. For example, imagine you tell a German player "let's meet in Makeb at location XYZ" but his client doesn't show a location called XYZ cause in the German version this location is called BGEW44.

There is a few german players on this server who i am pretty sure play this games client in German and i've never known them to suffer from this problem when communicating with English speaking players...

Edited by AngusFTW

I would play, I'm not here for the social expereince. And I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Germans and French can make themselves understood in English or, again, find their peers.

We learn English at school. Most people should be able to speak English well, or at least mediocre, even if they don't want any other language on the German-language servers themselves. Some sometimes even write in English to an English-speaking player in the General Chat that they don't want other langiuages on that server. One even threatened an English-writing player with a ban, because he claimed that writing English on the German-language server is fully against the TOS and therefore he would suceed with a ban.

A good friend of mine, however, has made similar experiences on an English-language server : That people who wrote in another language than nglish were threatened with banning simply because they didn't write in the English language and that this would be against the TOS because that server was English-language only.

There are racists on every side.

Besides, I'm in an English-speaking guild in DDO meanwhile my game client there is in German language. You see, it works, with a little bit of Tolerance.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Don't forget that people on French and German servers actually play a "different" game. They don't even know all the original English name of items, abilities, NPCs, locations etc. because their client has everything translated (and often renamed) into French and German. This is a huge drawback for merging their servers with the English ones, cause communication is very difficult if everything is named differently. For example, imagine you tell a German player "let's meet in Makeb at location XYZ" but his client doesn't show a location called XYZ cause in the German version this location is called BGEW44.

Server merging won't affect client's translations.

I'm on a German server with the English game, the two things are not related.

We learn English at school. Most people should be able to speak English well, or at least mediocre, even if they don't want any other language on the German-language servers themselves. Some sometimes even write in English to an English-speaking player in the General Chat that they don't want other langiuages on that server. One even threatened an English-writing player with a ban, because he claimed that writing English on the German-language server is fully against the TOS and therefore he would suceed with a ban.

A good friend of mine, however, has made similar experiences on an English-language server : That people who wrote in another language than nglish were threatened with banning simply because they didn't write in the English language and that this would be against the TOS because that server was English-language only.

There are racists on every side.

Besides, I'm in an English-speaking guild in DDO meanwhile my game client there is in German language. You see, it works, with a little bit of Tolerance.

Well, it's not racism :p but I understand what you mean.

Though I can't see the problem with people not speaking english... The only thing that bothers me is 'LFG 1 HEALER 3 DPS' for X-operation... Annoying as hell.

Edited by ToMyMa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.