The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I need help with beating shadows/assassins as Pyrotech/AP

Hey guys,

I have been playing this game since launch, and for a long time, Vanguard has been my main. Now I am leveling Powertech pyrotech, currently lvl 52, but as always, I am having great difficulties with beating assassins/shadows.

I have great issues with beating them in 1v1 and I could use advice from you guys, because I don't consider myself a bad player, but when it comes to duel against those 2, I struggle a lot.

The problem I have is, that when they attack me, they start with, knocking me down, immediately applying dot on me, and when I start with my rotation, they just pop shroud/resilience, deflection, and so, negating my burst and my fighting chance. When I barely manage to lower their hp down to, for example 20,30%, they re-stealth, stun me, run away and heal, and then just finish me off.

This is and for long time was a source of my frustration in PVP, i don't want to give up. If you could offer me any advice, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :)

Well first off if you're AP its gonna be a lot easier (30% DR while stunned, more numerous and powerful shoulder cannon missiles)

Other than that, the tactics are pretty much the same

1. When they knock you down, start spamming shoulder cannon till you get up. The last thing you want to do is use your CC breaker here, cause then they'll hit you with a 4-second hard stun and own you

2. If they pop shroud/resilience, stop attacking, and throw a [powertech version of a cryo grenade, I think its electro dart], which should stun them for most of the duration of shroud/resilience. If shroud/resilience isn't done yet (CC breaker) then carbonize and that should cover the rest of the immunity duration. Just know you can still damage them with hammer shots and (if available) rail shot while shroud/resilience is up

3. When they get to 20/30% health, drop a stealth scan on them, and if they stun you that is the time to pop CC breaker. The stealth scan will bring them right out of stealth, and you'll have a full resolve bar, ready to finish them off.

Thats the basics for wiping out a shadow/sin as a PT in PvP

Edited by TACeMossie

Hey guys,

I have been playing this game since launch, and for a long time, Vanguard has been my main. Now I am leveling Powertech pyrotech, currently lvl 52, but as always, I am having great difficulties with beating assassins/shadows.

I have great issues with beating them in 1v1 and I could use advice from you guys, because I don't consider myself a bad player, but when it comes to duel against those 2, I struggle a lot.

The problem I have is, that when they attack me, they start with, knocking me down, immediately applying dot on me, and when I start with my rotation, they just pop shroud/resilience, deflection, and so, negating my burst and my fighting chance. When I barely manage to lower their hp down to, for example 20,30%, they re-stealth, stun me, run away and heal, and then just finish me off.

This is and for long time was a source of my frustration in PVP, i don't want to give up. If you could offer me any advice, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :)

I made a video a few months ago looking at this. You will find it is very difficult to beat average/decent/sins with any class if you don't know what you are doing. When you master PT you should beat those players very easily. The outstanding sins (every server has 2 - 3) are still extremely difficult to beat and depends on luck (crits). Nonetheeless, if you follow my guide exactly (towards the end of the video for sins). You should kill them 95-99% of the time.

throw a [powertech version of a cryo grenade, I think its electro dart], which should stun them for most of the duration of shroud/resilience. If shroud/resilience isn't done yet (CC breaker) then carbonize and that should cover the rest of the immunity duration.P

This is downright terrible advice. Shroud grants immunity to all force/tech abilities, so if you try to carbonize or electro dart during it, you're going to have done nothing other than wasting your CC. The best thing to do when they shroud is to use white attacks, like rapid shots or rocket punch.

This is downright terrible advice. Shroud grants immunity to all force/tech abilities, so if you try to carbonize or electro dart during it, you're going to have done nothing other than wasting your CC. The best thing to do when they shroud is to use white attacks, like rapid shots or rocket punch.

You are right. His advice was terrible. But rocket punch is a yellow damage attack. When someone force shrouds and they are playing as a dps (3 second shroud) you can use thermal detonator or explosive dart (it blows up when shroud ends). You are better off using these yellow damage attacks as they do much more damage and it means they cannot stealth before shroud ends. Fighting stealth is cat and mouse.....play smart with your cooldowns while paying attention to theirs. A DoT should ALWAYS be on them....first thing to do after shroud ends = DoT -----> cannot re stealth.

I don't see how a PT can beat a Sin 1v1 if the Sin opens from stealth and again opens after vanish. If however the PT is able to break the Sin out of one of the 2 stealth then I it should be possible to for the PT to win.

You are right. His advice was terrible. But rocket punch is a yellow damage attack. When someone force shrouds and they are playing as a dps (3 second shroud) you can use thermal detonator or explosive dart (it blows up when shroud ends). You are better off using these yellow damage attacks as they do much more damage and it means they cannot stealth before shroud ends. Fighting stealth is cat and mouse.....play smart with your cooldowns while paying attention to theirs. A DoT should ALWAYS be on them....first thing to do after shroud ends = DoT -----> cannot re stealth.

To be honest I originally mentioned rocket punch and then I went back and read the description of shroud again and fixed it up. Completely forgetting Carbonize/Electro Dart are tech attacks -_-

And yeah, good point about having a DoT to pull em out of stealth - though stealth scan should still be used if they pop shroud in case they try to stealth away with it.

To be honest I originally mentioned rocket punch and then I went back and read the description of shroud again and fixed it up. Completely forgetting Carbonize/Electro Dart are tech attacks -_-

And yeah, good point about having a DoT to pull em out of stealth - though stealth scan should still be used if they pop shroud in case they try to stealth away with it.

All good we all make mistakes. I don't stealth scan them until they actually disappear. Be aware that if they disappear with shroud active stealth scan does not detect them (Stealth scan is itself a tech attack!) Best to wait until they disappear until you scan - you will waste it otherwise IMHO.

All good we all make mistakes. I don't stealth scan them until they actually disappear. Be aware that if they disappear with shroud active stealth scan does not detect them (Stealth scan is itself a tech attack!) Best to wait until they disappear until you scan - you will waste it otherwise IMHO.

Do you consider AP better against assassins? I went and 1v1'd some ****** assassin, and lost (partially because I'm undergeared outside of bolster, due to 46s and matrix cube) but was displeased, as I was out DPSing this guy when specced full tank with tank gear on, let alone playing Pyro. I've beaten other assassins with AP, but just wondering if my ****** gear was the problem (Had under 1900 expertise, and under 1200 bonus damage, compared to 1500 BD and 1977 in warzones) or if it was pyro.

Do you consider AP better against assassins? I went and 1v1'd some ****** assassin, and lost (partially because I'm undergeared outside of bolster, due to 46s and matrix cube) but was displeased, as I was out DPSing this guy when specced full tank with tank gear on, let alone playing Pyro. I've beaten other assassins with AP, but just wondering if my ****** gear was the problem (Had under 1900 expertise, and under 1200 bonus damage, compared to 1500 BD and 1977 in warzones) or if it was pyro.

I don't really know which one is better to be honest man. Sins are always strong 1 v 1 so don't be too hard on yourself if you lose. If you get lucky you can beat the good ones in AP or pyro - just really depends.

I don't really know which one is better to be honest man. Sins are always strong 1 v 1 so don't be too hard on yourself if you lose. If you get lucky you can beat the good ones in AP or pyro - just really depends.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep practicing and see if I can figure a way. Leaning towards AP, but only because that's what I've used to beat sins before. Still feel Pyro is stronger.

I find Pyro to be a bit better for Sins. The AoE damage reduction is definitely a bonus to AP vs. these guys, but they can shut down your Flamethrower as many times as they want (and they take an AoE reduction to it as well).

It's tough against the good ones...really tough. I try and save my TD/Shoulder Cannon/Explosive Fuel till after Shroud, then hope to God I blow them up with enough crits. Not to mention all your DoT's help prevent them from doing the annoying (yet amusing) combo of: vanish + mind trap + heal up in front of you and lol.