Why do people care so much about subscription numbers?

Lium

I understand...I'm somebody. In fact, I bet EVERYBODY here understands that anything done in SWTOR costs time, energy and money...who exactly do you think doesn't realize that?

Seriously, people don't understand how it applies to the business of making decisions. I am sure people know that doing anything takes physical energy. The point is, they don't understand that in the real world (aka real life) that time and energy has to be justified by an ROI. People, and businesses, don't work for free.

Or did you decide to cherry pick a statement when you missed the point?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, people don't understand how it applies to the business of making decisions. I am sure people know that doing anything takes physical energy. The point is, they don't understand that in the real world (aka real life) that time and energy has to be justified by an ROI. People, and businesses, don't work for free.

Or did you decide to cherry pick a statement when you missed the point?

I didn't cherry pick anything...I stopped reading at such a ridiculous assertion though and clarified it for you since you assume you're the only one who gets it.

The vocal forum goers make broad, sweeping statements trying to equate what they see with their eyes to internal processes. Its ridiculous and there is no convincing some of the most vocal forum users that real life is different than their assumptions.

No one understands that anything done in SWTOR costs time, energy and money. And if you apply those to a game you better have an ROI to justify it.

Spoiler Alert: Video game companies exist for ONE soul purpose, to make money.

• I don't think anyone is in disagreement. It takes money to make money... Got it.
  • It takes time to develop and delivery content with an ROi attached... Got it. (I think everyone agrees on that)
  • Tools Exist today for SWTOR development... Got it. (you seemed to disagree, then changed your mind?)
  • EA/BW is in it for MONEY... Got it.
  • To GROW the game organically they need more players... You don't seem to get that.
  • To get more players they need more content or more shiny content to bring in NEW or OLD players again. That comes with INVESTING MONEY/TIME from BW/EA... You don't seem to get that part.
  • ATM - BW/EA is making BANK with CM and F2P model (Go look up yourself I'm not going to link all those records).
  • ATM - BW/EA could be using some of that to MAKE more content (I'm sure the new stuff in FALL is part of that). Truth is NOBODY but BW/EA knows.

Bottom Line: Why are you not getting these points? Everyone seems to agree it appears to me. Content is still taking 1 YEAR+ to deploy. (I'm not going to stop bringing that up BTW) Partly related to funding of said content and partly related (I suspect) to the use of the complex HERO Engine that does require extra planning/working with to make even simple changes. (GO Google Jobs for Hero Engine Developers - They exist)

Edited by dscount

I didn't cherry pick anything...I stopped reading at such a ridiculous assertion though and clarified it for you since you assume you're the only one who gets it.

And I still assume that myself and a few other are the only ones who get it.

If we weren't, we wouldn't have absurd and ridiculous requests from people to "add sandbox features" and "overhaul the engine".

Some of us get it. Probably those of us who actually have had to run projects and actually make decisions at a strategic business level.

I understand...I'm somebody. In fact, I bet EVERYBODY here understands that anything done in SWTOR costs time, energy and money...who exactly do you think doesn't realize that?

They think since TOR cost $200 million (allegedly) to make, that changing anything in it would also cost $100's of millions.

You know... like it cost Honda billions to design a Civic, so naturally changing the oil in yours would also cost billions.

I can buy that for building landscapes.

I'm not sure if I buy that for building anything that requires scripting, like boss fights in flash points and operations.

Things like scripting and such do require knowledge of coding, at least in whatever scripting language is used in the game being modded.

But surely you know that most successful modding teams have both 3D artists AND coders. In fact, some of the modders actually write software as a day job, but do modding on the side just because they like it.

They think since TOR cost $200 million (allegedly) to make, that changing anything in it would also cost $100's of millions.

You know... like it cost Honda billions to design a Civic, so naturally changing the oil in yours would also cost billions.

Nope, wrong again. All investment, whether $1 or $100,000 must have an ROI to justify it.

Of course it would. That is why more content is coming. It was justified as a significant ROI.

So what is this about?

Lemme ask you this question...do you think faster releases of BIGGER content (Ops, WZ's, FPs) would increase or decrease the subscriber base?

Nope, wrong again. All investment, whether $1 or $100,000 must have an ROI to justify it.

Now, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, as it's coming from an ivory-tower perspective of someone who has no idea how difficult it is to code out new content for the SW:TOR engine.

But with that disclaimer out of the way, I believe that it would be possible to spend money to either hire (or farm out work to) multiple dedicated teams of modelers, texture artists, writers, scripters, etc. Working on planets, warzones, flashpoints, operations, etc.

I also believe that doing this, organized correctly, would produce more content faster than any other MMO out there. Perhaps faster than any other MMO has ever done. Would this ever be enough to satisfy the so-called "content locusts"? Of course not. But I do believe that it would be possible to accelerate the content release schedule so much that it would result in:

1. Many more players returning to the game to see the new stuff.

2. Much more press about the game, resulting in new interest.

3. Many more people subbing for the game, and/or

4. Many more people spending money in the CM.

With the potential for an excellent ROI.

Edited by Khevar

Lemme ask you this question...do you think faster releases of BIGGER content (Ops, WZ's, FPs) would increase or decrease the subscriber base?

I can't possibly answer that factually because its a loaded question.

Its like saying if I have more money in my pocket do I have more money in my pocket?

Yes, obviously I have more money.

The important question to ask is...does the additional cost of adding more staff for content releases justify any (if even possible) increase in subs. That is the real question.

Edited by Arkerus

Faster releases of more content would probably increase the subscriber base.

The question is, would it increase the subscriber base by enough to make the additional expenditure profitable? That's a much harder question to answer because we don't know the team size to content capacity ratio.

But I don't really need to know that. I can know how EA behaves and deduce the answer from that knowledge and my observations of their behavior.

Knowing that EA loves them some profitable revenue, if they thought it would increase profitability, they would do it. If they don't do it, they, being much closer to understanding that team size to content capacity ratio than we will ever be, must not believe it will increase the subscriber base enough to increase profitability.

Edited by DarthTHC

Faster releases of more content would probably increase the subscriber base.

The question is, would it increase the subscriber base by enough to make the additional expenditure profitable? That's a much harder question to answer because we don't know the team size to content capacity ratio.

But I don't really need to know that. I can know how EA behaves and deduce the answer from that knowledge and my observations of their behavior.

Knowing that EA loves them some profitable revenue, if they thought it would increase profitability, they would do it. If they don't do it, they, being much closer to understanding that team size to content capacity ratio than we will ever be, must not believe it will increase the subscriber base enough to increase profitability.

lol. Literally back to back responses on the exact same point. Nice.

Its like saying if I have more money in my pocket do I have more money in my pocket?

The important question to ask is...does the additional cost of adding more staff for content releases justify any (if even possible) increase in subs. That is the real question.

True. We have no way of knowing...which boggles my mind in a way. EA can predict sales of a new Madden or FIFA yearly, but they seem unable to understand how stale MMO content gets in a year.

Now, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, as it's coming from an ivory-tower perspective of someone who has no idea how difficult it is to code out new content for the SW:TOR engine.

But with that disclaimer out of the way, I believe that it would be possible to spend money to either hire (or farm out work to) multiple dedicated teams of modelers, texture artists, writers, scripters, etc. Working on planets, warzones, flashpoints, operations, etc.

I also believe that doing this, organized correctly, would produce more content faster than any other MMO out there. Perhaps faster than any other MMO has ever done. Would this ever be enough to satisfy the so-called "content locusts"? Of course not. But I do believe that it would be possible to accelerate the content release schedule so much that it would result in:

1. Many more players returning to the game to see the new stuff.

2. Much more press about the game, resulting in new interest.

3. Many more people subbing for the game, and/or

4. Many more people spending money in the CM.

With the potential for an excellent ROI.

Trust me when I say that if any of that works, and had a high ROI, they would be doing it. Farm out and the like is very normal in today's world. If ROI justifies the project, it happens.

Very rarely do companies have negative ROI but they may do it on a product line, simply to attach other positive ROI projects to it.

e.g. The XBOX sold at a loss just so M$ could make money off of every other tech and licensing fee attached to it.

Given EA's ROI guesses (and all ROI's are guesses) on TOR in the first place, they need to hire a new magic 8 ball. They tanked harder than any other MMO in history, given their Investment and the Return On said investment.

Huh...think they used those same criteria when they developed GSF? I only know 3 guys (myself included) who actually LIKE GSF.

Makes me wonder is all.

True. We have no way of knowing...which boggles my mind in a way. EA can predict sales of a new Madden or FIFA yearly, but they seem unable to understand how stale MMO content gets in a year.

I can only wonder that they were overly optimistic about their content and undervalued how fast people get through it.

That was then though...and this is now. I have been pretty satisfied with the content and features we are getting. If not, I would have left.

I can only wonder that they were overly optimistic about their content and undervalued how fast people get through it.

That was then though...and this is now. I have been pretty satisfied with the content and features we are getting. If not, I would have left.

If this were December 2013, I'd agree with you. The end of 2013 was AMAZING imo...but 2014 is off to a sluggish and abysmal start imo.

Trust me when I say that if any of that works, and had a high ROI, they would be doing it. Farm out and the like is very normal in today's world. If ROI justifies the project, it happens.

Very rarely do companies have negative ROI but they may do it on a product line, simply to attach other positive ROI projects to it.

e.g. The XBOX sold at a loss just so M$ could make money off of every other tech and licensing fee attached to it.

The only reason I have a hard time trusting you on this is because I have seen the opposite happen so many times.

For example, I've seen the Board of Directors of a $500 million company hire a new Senior VP Sales, who then went on to fire all the highest producing salesman, and bring on a new crowd of young people (that thought just like him), who then proceeded to drive the company into the ground, so the Board "let him go" with a $2 million severance package by way of a "thank you for *********** up our company".

Edited by Khevar

Given EA's ROI guesses (and all ROI's are guesses) on TOR in the first place, they need to hire a new magic 8 ball. They tanked harder than any other MMO in history, given their Investment and the Return On said investment.

Oh they did? Hm. Strange...their revenue looks good now. Not too bad for "tanking", as you say.

The hyperbole is neat though. Please produce their exact investment figures and exact ROI figures. I'll be waiting.

All we can go from now is the factual investor reports we get quarterly.

Edited by Arkerus

The only reason I have a hard time trusting you on this is because I have seen the opposite happen so many times.

For example, I've seen the Board of Directors of a $500 million company hire a new Senior VP Sales, who then went on to fire all the highest producing salesman, and bring on a new crowd of young people (that thought just like him), who then proceeded to drive the company into the ground, so the Board "let him go" with a $2 million severance package by way of a "thank you for *********** up our company".

Trusting me on what?

What I am talking about is investment 101. Its taught in basic finance across the country. I'm not joking. This is basic stuff.

It has nothing to do with a company making a terrible decision in hiring an awful VP of sales.

Trusting me on what?

What I am talking about is investment 101. Its taught in basic finance across the country. I'm not joking. This is basic stuff.

It has nothing to do with a company making a terrible decision in hiring an awful VP of sales.

Schools do not teach reality. They teach you how academics, with no experience in reality, think reality works.

This is also why children think they are smarter than their parents. The child knows calculus, the parent knows the only reason you need to know calculus is to get out of school and into the real world where virtually nobody not working for NASA needs to know calculus.

Huh...think they used those same criteria when they developed GSF? I only know 3 guys (myself included) who actually LIKE GSF.

Makes me wonder is all.

I have an entire guild full - one of the biggest on my server - that plays GSF daily.

Just goes to show you that individual player experience is varied therefore we can't form reasonable conclusions upon our anecdotal evidence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.