End of season 1

Sylvane

Good luck man, it is rough going on a sorc. WTB more Vanguards, operatives, and smashers.

Personally my Powertech has been focused so hard.... it's a totally different world from being a 'regstar'. My healer Merc is the only shot I have at 1500, but with my previous post you can see it probably won't happen.

I had a horrid start on my powertech and can't recover. My Jugg however? I gave up on tanking, went full smash before it gets nerfed out of existence, and all of the sudden his ranking starts picking up bigtime.

There's a few combo's I like, and hate. Multi smash? Great. Pick a softie before the match and global him. Happens so often it actually feel wrong.

Most of these matches have turned into healer gank fests. I want to bring my sorc in, however, I only personally know one sorc that is pulling over 1500 ranking while playing DPS.

Last night I couldn't do it. lol

Edited by Krozis

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's strange that your powertech is getting focused. After the healer, if these is a sage/merc/sniper or other ranged they are almost always the first target for shutdown. In my experience, powertechs are usually the last to die in these solo ranked games. Maybe people just don't like you?

Queueing on my heals, I agree, 90% of the games are "can I survive the initial opening 10 seconds of death" and then kite/LOS long enough to stay alive longer than the other healer. In games with a tank though, I am not always targeted first. In a game with a weak link sorc dps, sometimes they will get blown up instead. Many times they aren't used to that level of pressure and don't pop their defensives or run away properly and there's nothing I can do.

There are only a handful of mercs over 1500 on our server, the current top 3 are all healers. Powertechs and juggs definitely seem to have an easier time. The top 2 rated juggs on our server are tanks.

That's strange that your powertech is getting focused. After the healer, if these is a sage/merc/sniper or other ranged they are almost always the first target for shutdown. In my experience, powertechs are usually the last to die in these solo ranked games. Maybe people just don't like you?.

I was getting focused a lot too in some all dps matches recently. it had a lot to do with the rest of my team being stealth. 8) hehe

That's strange that your powertech is getting focused. After the healer, if these is a sage/merc/sniper or other ranged they are almost always the first target for shutdown. In my experience, powertechs are usually the last to die in these solo ranked games. Maybe people just don't like you?

Queueing on my heals, I agree, 90% of the games are "can I survive the initial opening 10 seconds of death" and then kite/LOS long enough to stay alive longer than the other healer. In games with a tank though, I am not always targeted first. In a game with a weak link sorc dps, sometimes they will get blown up instead. Many times they aren't used to that level of pressure and don't pop their defensives or run away properly and there's nothing I can do.

There are only a handful of mercs over 1500 on our server, the current top 3 are all healers. Powertechs and juggs definitely seem to have an easier time. The top 2 rated juggs on our server are tanks.

As far as 'people don't like you' not sure if you're trolling or not but rarely, if ever, do I talk in a warzone. My PT does get hate.... I almost never respond. If there is hate against me specifically? I can't say for sure, but I doubt it.

As far as PT's dying last? I don't think I have written it down, or tracked it specifically enough to have a valid opinion of this. I can only speak of my Powertech's experiences which have been far worse than any other toon I've queued ranked with.

BUT I started noting more powertechs after my own experiences playing mine, and experiences winning/losing with/against them. Not many are actually doing that well. (Powertech/Vanguards over 1500.)

At first I thought... wow PT's are not the cat's meow I thought they would be in this race, but then I looked at our Juggs and wow that list of >1500 rating is LOW too (I personally know one of them and he is DPS). And you say the top two are tanks? (I thought one was DPS? Not sure). Maybe I should change back to my tank? lol

Sorcs/Sages same thing... VERY low number at or over 1500 (again I personally know one of them, and he is DPS)... but I don't know how many of that small number are healing.

My healing Merc seems to give me the best chance at 1500 so far. Not sure why... Also noted that once I switched to Smash, my Jugg made 'respectable' progress... still so much of it is luck of the draw.

Edited by Krozis

PTs, just my own experience. It also helps I know one of the better ones in Poptart (Choco'chip). Powertechs in the right hands are very capable in ranked though. A lot of the tougher games I've had have been against powertechs (pull and gank).

The juggs at the top, Mathcore is a tank and Fus plays tank and dps, but when he dpses he does it in tank gear. Most of the rest of the jugg dps are bad smashers (a few vengeance), but good jugg tanks can carry a team.

For sorcs, I know Maulsgreatgramp is above 1500 on the Imp side and was queueing as dps every time I played against him. If I had to guess, most of the rest are madness dps.

Solo queues are definitely a crapshoot, but most of the best players still manage to rise to the top over time. Almost all of the good PvPers in my guild are above 1500 on at least one toon.

VG here (played all 3 specs in ranked) and I have not had any issues with being focused first. With so many sages and commandos running around they seem to be the first target or the healer is. Even if a VG/PT gets focused they should be able to put out a decent amount of dmg out. If and when I do get focused, I usually don't have much of a problem staying alive in both dps specs as our dcds are actually pretty good if you ask me.

240+ VGs/PTs past 1500 in the game, about 80 juggs/guardians, 59 merc/commandos, about 215+ sents/marauders. All of these are give or take 4 or 5. As you can see, Vgs/PTs are very capable of doing well in arenas.

Past 1500 on our server:

VGs/PTs - 7

Guardians/juggs - 8

Shadows/Sins - 5

Scoundrels/Operative - 4

Commandos/Mercs - 9

Sentinels/Marauders - 14

Slingers/snipers - 4

Sage/sorc - 5

Discuss.......

Edited by Iolus

Honest statement:

Someone show me what the hell to do in rateds. I feel like a total burden to my team and regularly am making some of the worst snap decisions possible. I've been back for a few months now, and am only now entering the higher level meta-game after being gone for over a year.

Help a guy out and tell me what the hell you see me doing wrong all the damn time, eh? As one of the guildies best said: "When I think about losing warzones, the only common denominator I can find is me."

Edited by ScrubinMuhTub

I appreciate your honesty.

That's the thing with Solo ranked... your priorities are VERY dynamic.

I notice cloakers pretty much do whatever they want. They have their own agenda often.

As a healer things are pretty ugly. My highest rating was attained with a Merc healer and it often came down to face tanking a crapload of DPS and hoping the other healer died first.

As far as playing DPS, there are so many composition types.... usually the only commonality I can suggest is targeting the weakest link, until the healer pops out of stealth. (most ranked healers seem to be ops/scoundrels).

If the other team has a tank this can change things. Is your team mostly ranged? Mostly melee? A lot of dynamics there....

For example, if you're a smasher and teamed with a smasher, and happen to have a stealth healer, have him smuggle your 'smash team' to the opponent's healer or weak link, both leap out of stealth, smash and you can often get a global kill that way. (it has happened to me more than I care to admit, but I have successfully defended it as well.)

So you can see team dynamics are huge.. team composition, team abilities... even small things like do you have a pull?

I will say for the record I never call anybody out unless I think there's something so seriously wrong it can -appear- like they are sabotaging the match.

Most of what I mention above you cannot control. What you can control is:

-armour. Get geared, and with bolster bug it is entirely possible to be potent in a warzone without PVP gear.

- augmentation. Yes it can be expensive, but getting a full set of 28 blues is a lot more affordable than purples.

Good luck!

Honest statement:

Someone show me what the hell to do in rateds. I feel like a total burden to my team and regularly am making some of the worst snap decisions possible. I've been back for a few months now, and am only now entering the higher level meta-game after being gone for over a year.

Help a guy out and tell me what the hell you see me doing wrong all the damn time, eh? As one of the guildies best said: "When I think about losing warzones, the only common denominator I can find is me."

I applaud the fact that you are looking to improve. We need more people like this queueing instead of idiots that think they're good because they have 60 valor from derping through a thousand matches.

1) If you don't have max expertise (2018), don't queue for rated. You're already a burden. Yes, you will see people tricking bolster and rocking a blue or 78 mainhand or other nonsense, but they are otherwise maxed. People under 1900 expertise need to get the Hell out. Full conqueror gear is easy to get.

2) Be comfortable with regular PvP. If you are not "regstar" status on the server already, you are probably gonna struggle in rated games. Everyone deals with bad pugs, but you want to be able to win the winnable games with a carry if necessary.

3) In solo rated, discuss tactics ahead of time in chat. I am usually healing so take it upon myself to do this unless there is also an experienced tank inside. At the very least, the dps should have a plan for who to focus first and then a secondary plan, e.g., "if the sorc healer barriers, switch to the juggernaut."

4) Use your CCs and stuns effectively. I can't tell you how many times on my healer I am getting pummeled by 3 smashers and I have a guardian or sentinel standing by me and not one time does he awe/intimidating roar. You can't expect real peels on a healer in solo ranked, but effective CCs are a must. Depending on the comp, per point #3 sometimes I will assign someone to CC a sorc/merc in the back before we get into combat. Often times they'll break anyway, but that means they won't have that break later at a crucial moment.

5) Be able to perform effectively while on the move. Realizing it's harder on some classes than others (marksman sniper), you need to maximize uptime and dps/heals while on the move constantly in PvP. If you're not keybinding and working your rotation effectively while moving, you're gonna have a bad time.

There are obviously just general tips, but it is difficult to point out specifics without knowing your class or watching you play. If your computer can handle it, you should start streaming to Twitch and watching your replays where things went well or badly. You can also link to the videos to ask for more specific critiques.

Good luck.

:rak_02:

Past 1500 on our server:

VGs/PTs - 7

Guardians/juggs - 8

Shadows/Sins - 5

Scoundrels/Operative - 4

Commandos/Mercs - 9

Sentinels/Marauders - 14

Slingers/snipers - 4

Sage/sorc - 5

Discuss.......

Where did these numbers come from pretty sure there are more people then that . Though i could be wrong and missing some filter on the boards that show these type of numbers?

:rak_02:

Where did these numbers come from pretty sure there are more people then that . Though i could be wrong and missing some filter on the boards that show these type of numbers?

They're on the leaderboards plain as day. For instance, commandos/mercs on our server:

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/class/comando-mercenary/jedi-covenant

They're on the leaderboards plain as day. For instance, commandos/mercs on our server:

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards/class/comando-mercenary/jedi-covenant

Oh nice thx. Guess i should have played with it more didn't realize you could narrow the rating down to per server/class.

I notice cloakers pretty much do whatever they want. They have their own agenda often.

that's because we're just not designed to fight in melee with all that cleave. so you need scrapper to smuggle you, which means being close, but it means you're likely to get him pulled out of stealth before he can even open on someone. and any ranged can toast you if you're not within 4m. as a scrapper, my success is entirely dependent upon the composition of the other team and my own. not the talent so much as the composition. I don't feel that way at all on the VG/PT. I can play with any comp in either DPS tree and be effective on the VG/PT. everything about the scrapper feels fickle/finicky. I mean...I can just blow up a ranged. even good players like kodur, I can push him into bubble in like 2 gcds. but it's really situational. :confused:

my question: are any of the scoundrels/ops on that list NOT healers? (predominately).

Edited by foxmob

that's because we're just not designed to fight in melee with all that cleave. so you need scrapper to smuggle you, which means being close, but it means you're likely to get him pulled out of stealth before he can even open on someone. and any ranged can toast you if you're not within 4m. as a scrapper, my success is entirely dependent upon the composition of the other team and my own. not the talent so much as the composition. I don't feel that way at all on the VG/PT. I can play with any comp in either DPS tree and be effective on the VG/PT. everything about the scrapper feels fickle/finicky. I mean...I can just blow up a ranged. even good players like kodur, I can push him into bubble in like 2 gcds. but it's really situational. :confused:

my question: are any of the scoundrels/ops on that list NOT healers? (predominately).

Unless Xeous whoever that maybe is a dps operative then no. The other four are healers.

The juggs at the top, Mathcore is a tank and Fus plays tank and dps, but when he dpses he does it in tank gear. Most of the rest of the jugg dps are bad smashers (a few vengeance), but good jugg tanks can carry a team.

Are you sure Math is a tank? The few times I remember going against him he did massive damage.

Are you sure Math is a tank? The few times I remember going against him he did massive damage.

He plays a tank in PvE, and every time I see him in PvP he is in Soresu guarding someone. That doesn't mean he doesn't also play dps, I just haven't seen it.

I am very sure he is queing ranked as Tank. I know because he messaged me to play my tank more (queue up) so he'd get more pops. :(:(

Interesting....

30 pubs over 1500 and 28 imps over 1500. A few imps on that list don't play on this server anymore and 1 or 2 got that rating on a different server and transferred back. I know 1 pub that got their rating on another server and transferred here.

Interesting to see which side gets more peeps over 1500.....

Interesting....

30 pubs over 1500 and 28 imps over 1500. A few imps on that list don't play on this server anymore and 1 or 2 got that rating on a different server and transferred back. I know 1 pub that got their rating on another server and transferred here.

Sadly 5 of those are Fus, there are a lot of people with multiple alts in that mix but anymore I rarely see pubs in games.

Interesting....

I don't understand your obsession with arguing that pubs are relevant or better. almost every good player and most decent ones have geared 55s on both sides. my VG is 1507 while my PT is 1240, but that's because I Q'd to gear the PT before the big rewards push and I never bothered playing the VG (already max'd) when I came back to the game. it has literally nothing to do with faction balance. in fact, all but 2 of my VG's matches were same faction. if anything, my VG rating is inflated because I ran it up to 1507 in one night against mediocre competiotn. so what if someone cries that imps dominate? you see knee jerk complaints like that on every server all the time.

Edited by foxmob

Interesting....

That's true... like Jaiden for instance, I know he got his 1500+ on pot5... and I do know a few alts on that +1500 list but Reps could be the same thing... I don't know them well enough.

So to say which side gets more is kind of misleading right? I mean Monkey/Brohawk for instance? Or the alts on the same side. I also know some of those people got the 1500 rating on that list PRIOR to the rewards announcement. Would they be able to maintain it now? (I realize they still get the rewards) now that so many people are queueing ranked?

Regardless it's a fun time. I hope it continues aside from the odd troll it's been really good.

I don't understand your obsession with arguing that pubs are relevant or better. almost every good player and most decent ones have geared 55s on both sides. my VG is 1507 while my PT is 1240, but that's because I Q'd to gear the PT before the big rewards push and I never bothered playing the VG (already max'd) when I came back to the game. it has literally nothing to do with faction balance. in fact, all but 2 of my VG's matches were same faction. if anything, my VG rating is inflated because I ran it up to 1507 in one night against mediocre competiotn. so what if someone cries that imps dominate? you see knee jerk complaints like that on every server all the time.[/quote

This has nothing to do with pub relevance or dominance you moronic, scruby jockhanger. Lately you've had the urge to respond to everything I write in game and on the forums even if it doesn't pertain to you. No one gives 2 craps about what your VG or PT has done or not done or if you think you've faced mediocre competition. So get off my jock and let me explain to you why this statistic I posted is interesting.

Its 30-28.... meaning both sides have about even number of players above 1500. The server seems to be balanced unlike every other server in the game. (Go JC!... I guess)

This has nothing to do with pub relevance or dominance you moronic, scruby jockhanger. Lately you've had the urge to respond to everything I write in game and on the forums even if it doesn't pertain to you. No one gives 2 craps about what your VG or PT has done or not done or if you think you've faced mediocre competition. So get off my jock and let me explain to you why this statistic I posted is interesting.

umm. no. can't even recall talking to you in-game, and wondering an open-ended question about the role of the top ops/scoun? yeah. that's sooo about you. I'd think it's patently obvious at this point that I reply to anything remotely interesting.

Its 30-28.... meaning both sides have about even number of players above 1500. The server seems to be balanced unlike every other server in the game. (Go JC!... I guess)

followed by your own commentary that the imps transferred in, which sticks out because every time someone (emotionally more than factually) claims that imps dominate, you jump on it. ;)

although I do agree with your last statement. it's about as factionally balanced as a server can be in swtor.

edit: my VG/PT is relevant. it speaks to the sham of those statistics. /salty

Edited by foxmob