The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why the new trilogy might not redeem the franchise.

Annihilan

I didn't like episode 1 The Phantom Menace that much it was slow a bit boring and I do agree with OP that the actors rarely ever showed emotion, Liam Neeson one of my favorite actors could have delivered a better performance if they were allowed to show some emotion because actors thrive on emotion, I don't think the jedi code should be changed. Episode II was really good and Episode III was I'd say the best of the prequel trilogy because it had more story and actor, better acting.

Forced to agree with lenlo.

Why the new trilogy might not redeem the franchise = J.J. Abrams.

They will change the lore, somehow. I've read that Obi Wan might have a granddaughter in the new movies.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I thought they ditched that script? It got rewritten several times since then.

I never said it was the biggest problem, I said it was one of the big problems. There are alot of problems with the prequels and another one I wanted to mention was if we're going to have jedi we need other characters there too. There was no Hans Solo, Chewbacca or Leia in the prequels. Which is another big problem IMO.

REALLY?

Chewbacca was in episode 3 he helped yoda escape from kashyyyk, and leia was also in episode 3 at the very end WHEN SHE WAS BORN!

Okay, so I'm not religious about the SW Extended Universe, but the Jedi seem to be about being introspective (search your feelings) and controlling their emotions, and even detaching themselves from strong ones. They smile, tell jokes, get irritated, get sad, have friendships ... etc.

They aren't exactly Vulcans who (supposedly) suppress all emotion and base all decisions on logic.

As per the new trilogy, I'm not sure the franchise needs "redeeming" but fanboys better prepare themselves for J.J. Abrams. He does not care about Extended Universes. That might be what the franchise needs (I don't know), but anyone moderately into the Star Trek Extended Universe will tell you to brace yourselves.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

As per the new trilogy, I'm not sure the franchise needs "redeeming" but fanboys better prepare themselves for J.J. Abrams. He does not care about Extended Universes. That might be what the franchise needs (I don't know), but anyone moderately into the Star Trek Extended Universe will tell you to brace yourselves.

Lucas didnt care about the extended universe either. Anyone that knows about TCW series and the upcoming rebels series will know they wont be following the EU either. The higher ups at Lucasfilm have already explained they dont want to be limited in the stories they can tell due to the lore from the EU.

also there is this. http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

Edited by Girdeux

Actually, going on the OPs original post, you can use that emotoinlessness and dullness as an extremely powerful story mechanism. But the entire way lucas and other stupidly rant they needed to make the movie completely go against it.

They state they insist on making them human and relatable(bringing you close to the jedi.). The logical way to deal with this though is to do the opposite in the extreme. This makes them a backdrop even when they are in the forefront(Just as the various ways you could imagine they are withdrawn! AKA always make them feel distant.) and sits in contrast to the things around it and lets the rest of the movie portray what is missing for you in place of it(Which can help and be used to bring out the surrounding story details by nature in a countless array of ways!)... But they don't seem to have even basic storytelling abilities. It's actually extremely simple... And a very good potential story basis(Especially when mixing fantasy and science fiction!).. You just have to actually have some knowledge and ability to do something with it.

So to get to a point here. They could have mixed those two movies and blend those two realities in the fiction, even with the specifics of the original trilogy not being purely to make an in depth fiction but to make other story telling mechanisms. In fact the unique sitiation is as ample a breeding ground for more original thought and mixuture of story telling ideas as you could possibly ever conceive of or hope to get!(Especially in a growing fiction!) They just lack the talent and knowledge to do so. Or for whatever reason chose not to put any real work into it. But that is the norm today in anything..

Edited by Aital